Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm getting a vibe here that we should all vote for Trump, no matter what, because he's better than the donkey that he is running against. Just like Todd Young, right? Except that, unlike Trump, Young is not pro-abortion, and he knows the difference between a man and a woman.
    Hey wait a minute. Are you implying Trump…you know… with…

1695126734629.jpeg

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm getting a vibe here that we should all vote for Trump, no matter what, because he's better than the donkey that he is running against. Just like Todd Young, right? Except that, unlike Trump, Young is not pro-abortion, and he knows the difference between a man and a woman.
    The vibe you should be getting is that nobody gives a dry **** who you're willing to vote for only so long as they meet your ever-growing list of complaints

Vote for a libertarian (or DeSantis, same difference)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why throw a good vote away?
    I don't want to call them neverTrump or ABT because they'll have a hissy-fit, but I don't think there is a vote for Trump there no matter what he does. I think some of them will just latch onto any excuse to keep the hem of their robe clean (in their mind)

I believe we'll have better luck trying to persuade the persuadable rather than expend any further effort on the incorrigible

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Remember, these are some of the same people who badgered me to pick who my second choice would be and then refused to accept that I chose Vivek. I was told I only picked him because I don't like DeSantis (they were half right)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Remember, these are some of the same people who badgered me to pick who my second choice would be and then refused to accept that I chose Vivek. I was told I only picked him because I don't like DeSantis (they were half right)
    Huh. I must have been on vacation when that conversation happened. I think Vivek is defiantly outperforming expectations. He sounds like a smart, articulate version of Trump.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nope, just really, really low on ****s to give. None left for INGO
    Well. You could always lobby INGO management to make INGO a Trump criticism free zone. What an information bubble that would be. Never have to know there’s even a world where Trump could possibly be criticized by other conservatives. You could have Trump praise threads. And no one is allowed to say a negative word. It’d be a regular utrumpia. Wouldn’t that be swell?

Reactions: oze

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well. You could always lobby INGO management to make INGO a Trump criticism free zone. What an information bubble that would be. Never have to know there’s even a world where Trump could possibly be criticized by other conservatives. You could have Trump praise threads. And no one is allowed to say a negative word. It’d be a regular utrumpia. Wouldn’t that be swell?
    Maybe just ask for truth in advertising from this contingent vvvvv

7zokid.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Turning the dem playbook back at them. Dem says “I am not coming for your guns, I own several and love shooting”, NOBODY on the left cares, they know it is all for show. A republican that has
    already proven they walk the walk, says anything moderate to the electorate about abortion and the sky is falling.

This is why we can’t have nice things…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe just ask for truth in advertising from this contingent vvvvv
    1695141435804.png

It's why you angrily strike back when someone says they can't vote for Trump for not being fully pro-life. And there is a pragmatic argument you could be making, but you don't. You just whine that people aren't as fully on board with Trump as you think they should be.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Like I've said before, it is indeed a problem for Republicans, and a reason why they didn't do as well as they should have in 2022 midterms. Democrats were able to make the case that anti-abortion Republicans are radical, and will ban it everywhere, pin that on Trump, and then make the election about stopping Trump. We've already gone over how Trump endorsees fared in the midterms.

Trump is being advised well to distance himself from that, but it's going to be a balancing act to keep conservatives with strongly held pro-life beliefs voting for Trump.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    View attachment 300360

It's why you angrily strike back when someone says they can't vote for Trump for not being fully pro-life. And there is a pragmatic argument you could be making, but you don't. You just whine that people aren't as fully on board with Trump as you think they should be.
    Pragmatism means that you must be willing to sacrifice a certain amount of conviction and standards. For some that only goes so far.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pragmatism means that you must be willing to sacrifice a certain amount of conviction and standards.
    Like I said earlier, sometimes pragmatism gets you closer to your ideal than you would have gotten if you strictly held to principle. Who is better on abortion? Trump? Or Biden? And the correct answer is not "they're both the same."

I think principles tempered by some pragmatism is a pretty good combination.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Trump
    Like I said earlier, sometimes pragmatism gets you closer to your ideal than you would have gotten if you strictly held to principle. Who is better on abortion? Trump? Or Biden? And the correct answer is not "they're both the same."

This seems to imply a change of position is what is pragmatic vs. rhetoric…

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I agree that a certain amount of pragmatism is needed otherwise you'll never be able vote if strictly based on principle. There is no such candidate that will satisfy all of your principles.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Republicans are now faced with the same problem as Democrats were in 2020: the primary front runner is a populist, but the business-as-usual political gravy train demands a Chamber of Commerce globalist...so we get Biden.

I believe the only way we’ll ever get a populist elected is to find one that appeals broadly across traditional party lines. That’s a point that Bernie failed miserably on…and so does Trump.

The big corporate money is always going to go to the candidate viewed as least likely to rock the boat…any populist has to have broad appeal across the political spectrum to overcome the CoC machine.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I agree that a certain amount of pragmatism is needed otherwise you'll never be able vote if strictly based on principle. There is no such candidate that will satisfy all of your principles.

Who’s principles align neatly to a forced binary, anyway?

It’s absurd that we have allowed political parties to lay claim to specific human rights…

If you value your right to personal defense you can only vote Republican…but if you value your right to privacy you can only vote Democrat.

Dammit, I want both…they don’t belong to the government to begin with.

It’s all a song and dance to make the Chamber of Commerce globalists look like the adult in the room.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom