• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I hear what you are saying but I cannot agree. The moment I come into agreement that he cannot win, it adds another nail in the cross. Then we both express that opinion and we convince others he cannot win, they add more nails.

We are at war, believe it or not. To deny the only candidate we have, in spite of his track record, is like giving a doomsday speech the hour before D-Day. Why even try?
    This viewpoint I find concerning.

The apparent religious fervor of his disciples.

How can any Trump supporter be certain that he is the only candidate we have? Now literally that's true of course as he is the only one to declare.

To think of him as so unique that no one could do any better though is a savior complex.

I have never been to war, but this doesn't remind me of any I ever read about. To me, calling this a "war" is like calling Korea a "police action". So I don't believe we are at war, especially the type referencing D-Day.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I disagree, I think ludicrous is too strong a term. It does look petty, but the house has a statutory right to the information, so this fight was always likely to break their way, and it was really pretty dumb of the Trump team to fight it.

To me, this is just another illustration Trump’s total lack of character.

Character used to matter to Republicans, that was why it was so important to impeach Clinton for lying about getting office head...because his poor character reflects badly upon our country, and we need someone who has the integrity required for the tough decisions a president has to make.

Trump proved that was all just ********…character is something you use against your opposition, not something required of your own candidates.

I don’t care about his mean tweets. I care that he is morally bankrupt, and people are seriously willing to hand him the keys to the vault…again.

That’s what’s ludicrous to me.
    Having a statutory right to information and what you do with information are two different things. I won't even argue the legal angle.

It's still ludicrous to release it.

What point is being made by releasing tax returns that justifies the action? What right do the American people have to see those tax returns? The answer to these questions may change my mind.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The way you phrased this makes me genuinely curious:

Does this line of reasoning apply to Hunter Biden’s laptop for you?

Why or why not?
    If the information is used at a trial and put in the public record then yes we should have access to such information. No charge against Trump recommended by the Jan 6 committee looks to be substantiated by evidence from tax returns and no charges have yet been filed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It looks like our courts disagree.
    Like they are not political at this time.

Why or why not?
    What private information would Congress subpoena for that and then release to the public for purely political reasons?

In a broader sense, I think they have reason to investigate how the whole thing was handled by government agencies. The stuff on the laptop is already public.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If the information is used at a trial and put in the public record then yes we should have access to such information. No charge against Trump recommended by the Jan 6 committee looks to be substantiated by evidence from tax returns and no charges have yet been filed.
    The tax returns had nothing to do with the Jan 6th committee. It was the ways and means committee.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I disagree, I think ludicrous is too strong a term. It does look petty, but the house has a statutory right to the information, so this fight was always likely to break their way, and it was really pretty dumb of the Trump team to fight it.
    Can you show me the statute that gives congress the right to a Presidents tax returns?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Why or why not?
    No government entity raided Bidens private property to obtain the laptop, he left it in plain view for someone to see and it was released by concerned witnesses - civilians and civilian agencies (Computer shop owner, Giuliani, New York Post). The evidence was then already in public view. It should concern you that the FBI still has it and won’t act on it. That evidence was also obvious outright criminal activity.

That has nothing in common with the Trump raid especially when the law says Trump was allowed to have that material. To this day there are no criminal charges that have come from it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The tax returns had nothing to do with the Jan 6th committee. It was the ways and means committee.
    Ok. Still until it's court records I don't see a reason to publicly release them. Do you?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ok. Still until it's court records I don't see a reason to publicly release them. Do you?
    Hell no. I don't think they should have been able to get them. It was a total :bs: .

I think they had two goals. One to try to find something that was "missed" by the IRS, and to release them to the public. Neither one should give Congress the authority to get them, let alone release them.

The authority to have access to individuals tax returns for use in actually crafting laws is a legitimate use though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Why or why not?
    Hunters laptop should have all of the fourth amendment’s rights. That said, if Trump left a copy of his tax returns in a cab they are fair game. Hunter failed to retrieve his laptop from a service provider and its ownership was lost.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hunters laptop should have all of the fourth amendment’s rights. That said, if Trump left a copy of his tax returns in a cab they are fair game. Hunter failed to retrieve his laptop from a service provider and its ownership was lost.
    What if Trump left his tax returns with his accountant.

I mean thats more of an apples to apples comparison ie service providers than um a cab

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What if Trump left his tax returns with his accountant.

I mean thats more of an apples to apples comparison ie service providers than um a cab
    I believe that there would be client privilege that would cover releasing tax records.

Abandoning a laptop and I am guessing not paying for service, makes the laptop the property of the shop at some point.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I believe that there would be client privilege that would cover releasing tax records.

Abandoning a laptop and I am guessing not paying for service, makes the laptop the property of the shop at some point.
    Yes.

Would rather see more accurate analogies though :)

Abandoned property becomes the property of the store owner I imagine at some point.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree.

Raid Biden‘s property to recover any stolen government property in his possession and use it to hold him legally responsible for his actions.

Works for me.

When the president breaks the law the president should be held accountable.

Are you willing to say the same for Trump?

Why or why not?
    Is Trump’s tax records public property?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No government entity raided Bidens private property to obtain the laptop, he left it in plain view for someone to see and it was released by concerned witnesses - civilians and civilian agencies (Computer shop owner, Giuliani, New York Post). The evidence was then already in public view. It should concern you that the FBI still has it and won’t act on it. That evidence was also obvious outright criminal activity.

That has nothing in common with the Trump raid especially when the law says Trump was allowed to have that material. To this day there are no criminal charges that have come from it.
    Right. The Biden laptop was not obtained from an FBI raid. It was obtained by a repair shop who wanted payment for the repair. But the dumbass customer turned out to be Hunter Biden and after repeated attempts to settle up the shop owner said **** it, it’s mine now. Found some crazy information on it and the rest is history.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom