• In US dollars:

• Total voters

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I find it funny everyone is coming up with these high priced numbers and saying they can't afford the class.

There's classes being offered right here on INGO around the $100-$150 range. And only 500 rounds for the class.

Most people have at least 500 rounds just sitting in their safe.

You are right, there are some cheaper classes. Time is an issue for some as well. I know people that work two jobs. Or work 60-70 hours a week. Or work and go to school. Guess that's hard for some to understand. I'm not saying that is everyone, but some yes. I agree that some people make exucuses. What makes me laugh is people like you. That make assumptions that everyone is making excuses. Do you know everyones situation, no, I did not think so. If there where more classes in that price range within my general area, I would attend more. I would rather go to the run and gun events every month, which is training. Which does not put me out much. Plus I can run the drills and course as I want. Yes, sometimes I do not want an instructor telling me to do things this way or that. Training is not always about someone telling you what to do.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Time is hard for me too. I work in a small business, and I don't know if I have the weekend off until the weekend is here.

Taking vacations is difficult as well, I can never plan things.

So I do understand not having the time.

But the fact is, most, not all, of the guys that say they can't afford the class or don't have the time are also the same guys that start a thread about buying a $1000 AR15 or a $2,000 1911. Which they had the time to shoot it at the range as well.

The fact is, if you want to take the class bad enough, you'll make it happen.

And FYI, I dont take classes to have the instructor tell me what to do. I take them to learn what to do. I want to be taught how to defend myself and my family.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I can't answer this question......it's like asking how much food should cost.

Training is/can be expensive. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the student. Have they done their research prior to picking a class? Will they come to the class with an open mind and prepared gear? Will they continue to practice the things they learn with repetition after the training concludes?

It's all what you make of it. If you can't afford a class that you want, there are plenty of things you can do on your own in the mean time. If you can't ever seem to "find" the money to afford it, then maybe you don't really want the training to begin with.

Personally, finding the time and ideal location are bigger hurdles for me than the cost.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, when I read the numbers thrown around here, it makes me feel really poor.

500 rounds is a lot of ammo for me and I rarely have that much on hand with the exception of .22LR.

1000 rounds in my safe? I don't even have a safe big enough to hold that much ammo.

$2000 1911's. Multiple copies of the same firearm. SHTF anything.

Hmmm...maybe I am getting into the wrong hobby! I though triathlon was expensive....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Wow, when I read the numbers thrown around here, it makes me feel really poor.

500 rounds is a lot of ammo for me and I rarely have that much on hand with the exception of .22LR.

1000 rounds in my safe? I don't even have a safe big enough to hold that much ammo.

$2000 1911's. Multiple copies of the same firearm. SHTF anything.

Hmmm...maybe I am getting into the wrong hobby! I though triathlon was expensive....

Stop making excuses :D

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    1. Not all classes require ammo. [knife, combatives, flashlight, FoF, OC]

2. Not all classes are multi-day. Plenty of schools offer one day courses.

3. Not all classes require distant travel. Travel/lodging/whatever expenses are the same for going to the Indy 1500 and EVERYBODY seems to find the time and money to make it to the gunshow.

5 years from now we'll be having this same discussion and the same people will still not have taken a class. Why? Because they have a Mindset that says that training is too expensive, too difficult, too far away, too time consuming.....

You have to make it a priority for it to actually happen.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    1. Not all classes require ammo. [knife, combatives, flashlight, FoF, OC]

2. Not all classes are multi-day. Plenty of schools offer one day courses.

3. Not all classes require distant travel. Travel/lodging/whatever expenses are the same for going to the Indy 1500 and EVERYBODY seems to find the time and money to make it to the gunshow.

5 years from now we'll be having this same discussion and the same people will still not have taken a class. Why? Because they have a Mindset that says that training is too expensive, too difficult, too far away, too time consuming.....

You have to make it a priority for it to actually happen.

I agree with your closing remarks. What I've come to find, is that most "gun people" don't really want to learn how to shoot. They don't want to break down their gear (some don't even want to get it dirty lol) and put it through real testing. There are far more collectors and casual shooters. Most people spend their whole lives shooting at paper from a bench. That's fine.........but I think they are missing out.

FYI, not all of us are close to INDY.....NWI has practically zero training opportunities. Heck, I have to drive over an hour just to get to an outdoor range.

and I've never gone to a 1500 :D

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    In addition to Fortress Defense, I know classes are hosted in Racine, WI and there are some in north central Indiana that might be close.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I want someone to train me in my living room so I don't have to get off my couch. For free. And provide unlimited ammo.

The class can only be 5 minutes long so we can do it over a commercial break and I won't miss any of my TV show.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I want someone to train me in my living room so I don't have to get off my couch. For free. And provide unlimited ammo.

The class can only be 5 minutes long so we can do it over a commercial break and I won't miss any of my TV show.

Now your talking! LOL!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Since I only do training part time, does that mean I'm part rich? Or half rich?

Anyone who believes that even the big name guys are getting rich have no idea how much the overhead is for some of them. Hotels, insurance, gasoline, etc etc plus they have to pay for all of their assistants as well.

Breaking even in this industry is an accomplishment in my opinion. Making a living off of it is impressive testament to someone's work ethic and money management skills.

Lately I am tending to believe that the money isn't really as much of an issue as some make it. Sure, in some cases it might be true, but in many I think it's just another excuse. If someone really wants to train, they will find a way. If they don't really want to do it, the reasons why are many and inexpensive.

I am not criticizing people who don't spend money and time to train. If that's their choice, so be it and I respect that. What I don't like is people who really have no intent to participate in training exerting a lot of effort to let everyone else know why they "can't."

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I think I remember your offering to teach private in home courses? I am sure they would not be free. But I bet private lessons would be a very good value. I could see where having a professional work with you in your own home would be awesome.

But if you ever do offer free in home instruction please put me down. Don't worry about bringing any ammo though because my wife gets mad when I shoot holes in the wall. Oh, and thank you for keeping the lessons within the time frame of commercials. My kids get mad when I interrupt Elmo. :laugh:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    It's a 2 hour drive. Racine is about the same depending on traffic.

Don't get me wrong though guys, I have no problem driving all over the place and do on a regular basis. I had my first day off in a month and drove 2 hours to train all day yesterday:) I routingly drive to southern IN for shooting events. If I have a moment and the wife let's me, I'm game!:yesway:

That's funny - It's a 2-hour drive for me to drive to train people in Rochester, :-)

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    That's funny - It's a 2-hour drive for me to drive to train people in Rochester, :-)

At least once a month I used to drive 6 hours to Camden, teach for a weekend and drive home. For a lot of reasons starting my school in Indy was one of the best things I've ever done.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Then why would you want to pay for training?

My point is, you do not always need instruction to train. The run and gun is a perfect exmaple. Video allows me to study what I was weak and or strong in that day. Times give me a baseline for if I'm improving as well. I know that if I run the course, engage and eliminate all my targets, but do it in a faster time than before. I know that I'm improving. I recieved a lot of good training in the service, so my bascis are solid. Now I'm just improving on them. Now, that does not mean I will never take another class. I enjoyed the one Vert put on. I just get sick of people that think if you don't pay someone to train you that you are 1. Stupid 2. Lazy 3. You like to make excuses.

Top Bottom