• Total voters

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I agree with where you are going with that statement completely. The problem is that the vast majority will never look at it the way you are meaning it. Whether it is firearms or matchbox cars people want to have something in their hands not just technique in their head. It is much easier to justify spending $500+ on another G19 rather then on two classes on how to use it to better protect themselves and others. Your classes aren't that pricey but fill up quick so more of us can't get in them when we want so I will spend my money on ammo or put toward another M&P for next year. If I want to take a class and am willing to put out money then it is a real turn off to me if I can't get into it and am forced to wait or probably pass until someone else offers it.

Probably because I am a minimalist, I don't see the necessity to own multiples of basically the same gun. For me, one 1911 is fine. And some day, one M&P 9mm will be fine. (and it will be either a M&P or a Glock, not both. They are too similar and will have the same use for me.) I have one .22 pistol, one .22 rifle, etc. etc. Though taking a class is tough for me to justify financially, if I am at the point that I can afford duplicate firearms, I would take a class instead.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It doesn't take $600 to take a class. Yes, some classes cost that much (or more), but there are plenty of options that are much less expensive.

You are right, not all training costs that much. I have read threads that have been posted about training I would be interested in, then I see the price. Time is also a concern, as school work is a priority. So, two day classes are out. Even one day classes depending on the distance. I recently attended an NRA class, it was well worth the $95, plus is was only a 20 minute drive. When I'm done with school I will have more time and money.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You are right, not all training costs that much. I have read threads that have been posted about training I would be interested in, then I see the price. Time is also a concern, as school work is a priority. So, two day classes are out. Even one day classes depending on the distance. I recently attended an NRA class, it was well worth the $95, plus is was only a 20 minute drive. When I'm done with school I will have more time and money.

:laugh::lmfao::laugh6::lol2::):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    WTF is so funny?

The idea that after college you're going to have lots more money and time. Every single person I know, as time has gone on, the less free time we have and the less disposable income we have.

Especially since those I know who DO have real money generally have VERY LITTLE time to spend it.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WTF is so funny?
    Jbombelli is right. Add a wife, and kids, and a job that puts a roof over thier heads, and food on the table and you will not have more time and money. Firearms training (this includes self training) is all about priorities.

Think to your self "U.S. what could I be doing to better my skills (read a book, listen to a podcast by a top trainer, watch a training video, dry fire, work a part time job to get ammo money, ...) instead of reading this stupid post by Dave?"

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The idea that after college you're going to have lots more money and time. Every single person I know, as time has gone on, the less free time we have and the less disposable income we have.

Especially since those I know who DO have real money generally have VERY LITTLE time to spend it.

That is no joke! I had more money when I didn't have a child or house to pay for. What is worse is the lack of time when you factor in upkeep at home on top of ball games, shows, and other events you do with your kids. I wouldn't trade anything for that time with my son so that means classes have to be carefully planned out and I have a hard time getting classes when I have free time.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Jbombelli is right. Add a wife, and kids, and a job that puts a roof over thier heads, and food on the table and you will not have more time and money. Firearms training (this includes self training) is all about priorities.

Think to your self "U.S. what could I be doing to better my skills (read a book, listen to a podcast by a top trainer, watch a training video, dry fire, work a part time job to get ammo money, ...) instead of reading this stupid post by Dave?"

I do watch training videos, I train once a month, and shoot when I can. I also reload, so need to buy ammo. I just love how people act like they know me and my situation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Firearms safety should be a required course in middle school, if not elementary.

Proficiency should be required to pass high school.

The above is only my opinion.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    One thing worth mentioning, many schools, like mine, will offer free spots to those who are interested in hosting a course in their area. If you have friends and family interested in training, it's a great way to get it free - all that you have to do is find a range and tell people when and where to be.

You'll save travel and lodging money, as well as tuition.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One thing worth mentioning, many schools, like mine, will offer free spots to those who are interested in hosting a course in their area. If you have friends and family interested in training, it's a great way to get it free - all that you have to do is find a range and tell people when and where to be.

You'll save travel and lodging money, as well as tuition.
    My problem is not with paying for the training, but with finding training that is what I desire to learn, outside of Government Agencies...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Firearms safety should be a required course in middle school, if not elementary.

Proficiency should be required to pass high school.

The above is only my opinion.

That would never happen. The Liberals would never allow it, and many others would be against it. I was fortunate to have a Father that grew up shooting/hunting to survive. I was also fortunate to receive Military training, which was a good foundation.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I find it funny everyone is coming up with these high priced numbers and saying they can't afford the class.

There's classes being offered right here on INGO around the $100-$150 range. And only 500 rounds for the class.

Most people have at least 500 rounds just sitting in their safe.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I find it funny everyone is coming up with these high priced numbers and saying they can't afford the class.

There's classes being offered right here on INGO around the $100-$150 range. And only 500 rounds for the class.

Most people have at least 500 rounds just sitting in their safe.
    But, if I use the ammo in my safe what will I do when the SHTF?! :dunno:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    But, if I use the ammo in my safe what will I do when the SHTF?! :dunno:

Please. I read almost everything on this site. Most guys have at least 1000 rounds just sitting in their safe, and that's not including their SHTF ammo.

People have ammo for classes. They also have the ability to save up every week for a $150 Defensive Pistol class.

I have done it, even when all I had was $500 in my checking account.

If you want it bad enough, you make it happen.

Top Bottom