• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The sessions of the General Assembly shall be held at the capitol of the State, commencing on the Tuesday next after the second Monday in January of each year in which the General Assembly meets unless a different day or place shall have been appointed by law. But if, in the opinion of the Governor, the public welfare shall require it, he may, at any time by proclamation, call a special session. The length and frequency of the sessions of the General Assembly shall be fixed by law.

The way I read this, the legislature sets its own time for legislative sessions, however, the Governor has the authority to call a special session. It does not say exclusive authority. I think the wording is ambiguous, which leaves room to interpret it more strictly, if you’re a chamber-o-commerce ********er. It looks to me like the court is packed with CoC leaning justices. The decision, to me, reads like their minds were made up, and then they looked for ways to justify their opinion.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The sessions of the General Assembly shall be held at the capitol of the State, commencing on the Tuesday next after the second Monday in January of each year in which the General Assembly meets unless a different day or place shall have been appointed by law. But if, in the opinion of the Governor, the public welfare shall require it, he may, at any time by proclamation, call a special session. The length and frequency of the sessions of the General Assembly shall be fixed by law.

The way I read this, the legislature sets its own time for legislative sessions, however, the Governor has the authority to call a special session. It does not say exclusive authority. I think the wording is ambiguous, which leaves room to interpret it more strictly, if you’re a chamber-o-commerce ********er. It looks to me like the court is packed with CoC leaning justices. The decision, to me, reads like their minds were made up, and then they looked for ways to justify their opinion.
    This is my first thought, as well. That the governor has the power to call a special session does not somehow/inherently preclude the legislature from also calling for a special session.

But, that's fine. Let's amend the constitution.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    No. Alarmist, politicized bull**** has literally cost actual lives of actual human beings (through prohibition or avoidance of safe, efficacious therapies, and now through scaring people away from safe, efficacious vaccines) through this pandemic, and I have zero time or patience for it.
    Well this didn't age well.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well this didn't age well.
    I stand by it. The vaccines are as effective as they ever were going to be for this type of virus (something I've always said). The vaccines are safe for those for whom they are safe, and not safe for people with particular risk factors (something else I've always said). The vaccines should never be mandated as a matter of public policy (the most important thing that I've always said).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is my first thought, as well. That the governor has the power to call a special session does not somehow/inherently preclude the legislature from also calling for a special session.

But, that's fine. Let's amend the constitution.
    Or, more simply, just always enact a pro forma resolution calling for a special session every 28 days during the period of recess

If not needed, a quorum can meet briefly, probably electronically, to defer any business to the next special session four weeks later

If the Governor doesn't like it, he can take it to court and thus open his own can of worms

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I stand by it. The vaccines are as effective as they ever were going to be for this type of virus (something I've always said). The vaccines are safe for those for whom they are safe, and not safe for people with particular risk factors (something else I've always said). The vaccines should never be mandated as a matter of public policy (the most important thing that I've always said).
    Only the list of risk factors seems ... malleable, ever expanding and poorly defined

And the number of those at risk is only growing

What is the tipping point for you to rethink that 'safe and effective' assertion

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Only the list of risk factors seems ... malleable, ever expanding and poorly defined

And the number of those at risk is only growing

What is the tipping point for you to rethink that 'safe and effective' assertion
    Probably the point at which Pfizer (and others) actively sought to withhold trial data. That is inexcusable.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I am old so in spite of my doubts I did get vaccinated way back when there was less information. I no longer consider the vaccines to be "safe" and I no longer consider the vaccines to be "effective" so I won't be getting any more shots unless something changes.

The vaccines were designed for a specific protein sequence found in the original version or an old variant (I forget) so it is wishful thinking to expect the original effectiveness against other protein sequences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Or, more simply, just always enact a pro forma resolution calling for a special session every 28 days during the period of recess

If not needed, a quorum can meet briefly, probably electronically, to defer any business to the next special session four weeks later

If the Governor doesn't like it, he can take it to court and thus open his own can of worms
    If you have the power to schedule sessions you have the power to call sessions. A bunch of chamber-o-commerce knobbers agreed with the executive CoC knobber. I’m not shocked.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you have the power to schedule sessions you have the power to call sessions. A bunch of chamber-o-commerce knobbers agreed with the executive CoC knobber. I’m not shocked.
    The decision said the legislature has the right to schedule only in session, once out only the governor can call a session.

That is why bug suggested to just always schedule sessions if they need them…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The decision said the legislature has the right to schedule only in session, once out only the governor can call a session.

That is why bug suggested to just always schedule sessions if they need them…
    I know, but the CoC Knobbers pulled that from the penumbras of their imaginations, because they likes them some executive power.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Even though the mask madness has been lifted, we still have a few die hard dingbats that still wear their masks. We even have one that wears TWO surgical masks. This week will be the test since our plant is always 25-45 degrees hotter than outside.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Even though the mask madness has been lifted, we still have a few die hard dingbats that still wear their masks. We even have one that wears TWO surgical masks. This week will be the test since our plant is always 25-45 degrees hotter than outside.
    What difference does it make? Are they insisting that you or everyone else wear masks? Are you or they experts on infectious diseases? I still see people wearing masks. Maybe it is prudent, or foolish. I have no authority to make the decision for them.

Top Bottom