• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The counterargument is that there is a perceived need. You can say there is no actual need, but you cannot deny the perceived need. They said it in the original article you linked to - there are certain situations that they think this will be better than what they currently have.

Does that make it better? No, but we'll find out for sure if it ever gets deployed.

It does establish that the TCSD *thinks* they need it. If they think they need it, and they can afford it without raising taxes, then it becomes a political issue. Argue about priorities, along with other political decisions, in the primaries. :)

It does seem like a reach to say there's been no counterargument, though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The counterargument is that there is a perceived need.

So, that's all they have, Lex? It MIGHT? The what if Godzilla attacks Battle Ground argument of law enforcement? It's a classic, but the "perceived need" nonsense can be used to buy anything--helicopters, IFVs, inter alia.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, but it isn't. Well, not yet.

Look back at all the cycles in law enforcement. Remember the ISP Mustangs for pursuits? I think they had Z28s, too. Then pursuit-rated interceptor Crown Vics.

Now, we see the SUVs, like Explorers, all decked out.

Was there really a need? I dunno, probably not. There are more pursuits now than ever!

So, there's a perceived need for the 1% of the time when a response would require deputies to get up close to a place without getting shot at, then get out of the vehicle, while being shot at. Not like that is stealthy or anything.

If a sheriff says there's a need, there's very few (a number mathematically approaching zero) who would deny them. So you get MRAPs and drones.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, there's a perceived need for the 1% of the time when a response would require deputies to get up close to a place without getting shot at, then get out of the vehicle, while being shot at. Not like that is stealthy or anything.

Perhaps the Tippecanoe County deputies here could post examples of where TCSD has had to go belt buckle to belt buckle with some mope with a rifle and explain how an MRAP would be even more effective than how they handled it? That might bolster their argument that the MRAP is needed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Do you go to CLEs for voir dire? Why? You clearly know how to do voir dire.

If I may hazard a guess, you go because you can always be better. (And we are required to get CLEs.)

Saying they perceive the need for an MRAP does not admit they didn't handle prior incidents effectively. I'm sure they did. (At least for the last 80 years.)

The perceived need for the MRAP is that it would help them do the next one better/safer/tacticoolier than the last one.

Actual need v. perceived need. Go be the county commissioner who gets between the sheriff's department and their bully pulpit. (Awkward pun there.)

ETA: Totally been remiss.

Why do you hate gas guzzling behemoths draining the public fisc?

titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette
    Mr. Freeman, you are not, nor have you ever been a law enforcement officer.

And to address the "strawman issue"... to deny an ever-increasing trend in violent crime across this country is again, intellectually dishonest. I truly feel dumber for having read your responses...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mr. Freeman, you are not, nor have you ever been a law enforcement officer.
    Hold up a second titanboy. You REALLY need to move past that since you're on a public forum and all. Any hope for credibility you had fades each time you mention that.

to deny an ever-increasing trend in violent crime across this country is again, intellectually dishonest. I truly feel dumber for having read your responses...
    While we're on that topic - you really actually haven't cited ANY data or even experience backing up your claims. So, your best option is to sit back and watch the grownups handle this.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Trolls are coming out of the woodwork on this one. :popcorn:

When will us average citizens can get a free MRAP? I guess its all those veterans in Lafayette planting IEDs needed to keep you safe. If it is needed why not pay full price like LA did for a bearcat.

titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette
    Yes, of course. But still, when does Godzilla ever lay mines?

So tiring.... the vehicle serves a function for law enforcement by being bulletproof. The fact that it can protect officers from IED is secondary.

This conversation is like trying to explain how gun ownership is a right to a liberal...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    And to address the "strawman issue"... to deny an ever-increasing trend in violent crime across this country is again, intellectually dishonest. I truly feel dumber for having read your responses...

Actually the crime rate has been going down for about 20 years now..... I feel truly dumber for reading your response.

titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette
    Actually the crime rate has been going down for about 20 years now..... I feel truly dumber for reading your response.

Strawman..... please take a moment to research factors that influence the manipulation of crime statistics. You were dumb to start with....

titanxt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2014
    Lafayette
    I was a law enforcement officer. You are wrong or you are lying, Deputy Keller.

Mr. Freeman, I am not sure ho Deputy Keller is to you.... Nonetheless, you were NOT, nor were you ever, a police officer. A thin stretch of the "law enforcement" term for being a prosecuting attorney, maybe.

Top Bottom