• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm willing to concede that it's unlikely that Gojira will attack and attempt to devour Battle Ground in the foreseeable future.

However, this concession does not extend to far more likely occurrences such as an attack by King Gidrah (AKA Monster X), Angillus, Rodan, or even Gamerra (on a sake bender). That MRAP could come in handy.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I'm willing to concede that it's unlikely that Gojira will attack and attempt to devour Battle Ground in the foreseeable future.

However, this concession does not extend to far more likely occurrences such as an attack by King Gidrah (AKA Monster X), Angillus, Rodan, or even Gamerra (on a sake bender). That MRAP could come in handy.
    defense against the Gray/Reptilian invasion

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Don't say that out loud, they buy more silly toys using that logic.

"Well, SIA is here, and you know how monsters hate Japanese industry, thus we need an M1A2."

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Godzilla took down part of my apple tree today. One step closer to Lafayette from Haughville.
    True story.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh for **** sake. I am a firearms instructor and I am a Combatives Instructor (aka defensive tactics, survival tactics, hand to hand "combat"). 2 separate certifications. Both could keep you alive. Please answer my question. What military training do you speak of?

At the risk of being rude (on the internet), if you really want to "go there" perhaps we should establish definitions. Your idea of military training and mine might be different - particularly if you've been in the military.

Here are some examples of what I mean.

When I see police officer with AR-15/M-16/M-4 rifles, which are used by the military, I assume they've been trained on them. Is that true?

When I think of military training, I think of armed conflict. In the civilian world, the closest thing is probably active shooter situations. Are officers trained in small-unit tactics to deal with that situation?

Speaking specifically of MRAPs, I assume officers are trained on how to drive this military-issued vehicle. It is but a small logical jump that the rest of the officers are trained on how to deploy - militarily - from the military vehicle. Is that not true?

Specifically regarding tactics, concepts such as OODA loops, "get off the X" in ambushes, and other tactics are military in origin. Do you believe that they lose the "military" label when applied to civilian police training?

Going back to your own qualifications, "survival tactics"? Like SERE? That's pretty darn military. Or like Brazilian ninjitsu or whatever the latest fad is? Krav Maga? Wasn't that Israeli military? The whole concept is military.

You also didn't answer how long IMPD has had a Combatives Instructor such as yourself. I suspect it has only been a named position in the last 20 years or so.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ya know... I don't think it's a big deal that LEO has an MRAP as long as it's fiscally responsible to maintain & used to serve the public. At least we didn't leave them for ISIS to use over in the sand box. The real question is balance of force here. If the MRAPs here becomes an enemy of law abiding civilians... say... used to help illegally confiscate weapons in some post Katrina type situation or hauling away ballot boxes to be counted somewhere out of sight. How do law abiding citizens deal with it?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Over the weekend I ran into two Sheriff's deputies who were generous enough with their time (at first they wanted to talk about the Hightailing Hillbilly, but it quickly switched to MRAPs) to give me the low down on the MRAP. I was told that the MRAP cost analysis is still under review--insurance, operators' school, care and upkeep, inter alia. I learned that the engine is the same diesel that powers a school bus and TSC (Tippecanoe School Corporation) will provide the service on the vehicle.

As well, I got what I have been asking for on INGO: an actual standoff event in Tippecanoe County which I had completely forgotten--Dan Anderson. Allegedly Mr. Anderson attempted to shoot the then elected Sheriff with a .30-'06 but had chambered a .223 round and no round was fired.

So, yes, the MRAP could have helped there, assuming proper ammunition. So given that there is established risk, I am going to wait to see the numbers, like the rest of the taxpayers, before we run any risk analysis.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As well, I got what I have been asking for on INGO: an actual standoff event in Tippecanoe County which I had completely forgotten--Dan Anderson. Allegedly Mr. Anderson attempted to shoot the then elected Sheriff with a .30-'06 but had chambered a .223 round and no round was fired.
    Waitacottonpickingsecond.

What's the rest of this story? :) I mean, was this an assassination attempt? Then what good would the MRAP be - personal limo for the sheriff?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Allegedly man consumes harmless plant. Allegedly decides to shoot up his house. Sheriff of Tippecanoe County takes the call and rolls up in drive way. Man is alleged to have leaned out window and points '06 at Sheriff and pulls trigger. Man had allegedly loaded .223 in .30-'06 rifle.

Man prosecuted, but charges dismissed.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

NOLLE PROSEQUI FOR REASON OF CONCLUSIONS REGARDING DEFENDANT'S TEMPORARY CONDITION OF MENTAL DEFECT AT TIME OF OFFENSE

Dude tries to shoot an elected sheriff, and it doesn't even get to a jury.

Was there a change in elected prosecutor between when charges were filed and the dismissal?

Truthfully, I am surprised at a complete dismissal. (I guess it is good to know someone who had a temporary mental defect got his guns back.) :)

ETA:
    No blown deadline. Prosecuted agreed that no criminal liability existed as Defendant suffered from mental disease or defect.

What was it?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The mental disease? Got me.

The point is that I forgot about Dan Anderson's attempt on Sheriff Anderson. I guess an MRAP would have been useful here.

Now we just need those cost numbers.

For me, this plays into the "need" part. How often do Tippecanoe County residents go Temporarily Insane and try to shoot sheriffs?

Top Bottom