• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Activating the manual safety should be done while you are drawing. With enough practice I see no difference in time on target.

If you are really seriuos about carrying, cleaning and inspecting your handgun should become like brushing your teeth

I would like to know more about your experience.

Is my understanding that with a proper grip the grip saftey will always be deactivated, but you first have to learn proper grip, and that falls back on Jay's stance about practice,
    I believe that most of you are well inteintioned in your viewpoints but seem to lack some understanding on many people in my generation, Most of them have trouble remembering to keep their oil changed, with stickers for then next apointment on the windsheild.
    What would you like to knwo about my experience exactly?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Conversely, can you cite the Indiana law, actually on the books that allows blowing your nose while driving a car? There is no law making it UNlawful, therefore, it is lawful.

Wouldn't this be a sad state of affairs wherein any action or lack of action required a law to permit it? In the absence of law forbidding, an action is lawful.

In most cases, see Amendment 9, United States Constitution.

Blessings,
    Bill

I get your point full well, however when I have asked any police officer, ( as I know few lawyers) They say its a no go, once someone tells me something is illegall I take it with a grain of salt that it is, until I can prove otherwise.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Great! Ask THEM to cite the code and clear this all up. :)
    Tried, never got a clear response, partly why the issue isn't laid to rest in my book, THe other reason is I have only rare and spoty intrest in the subject, today it got roused, and I was hoping an fellow INGO member may be able to educate me.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Men tend to send me to revolvers because of my hand size. At least that is what I was thinking up until your post. :) I've never shot a revolver but enjoy shooting semi-automatics actually. I have my glock 26. I had a S&W VE 40 but didn't like it. I've had a Kel-tec PF9 but didn't like it. It fit my hand but I didn't like it. It's too blocky and uncomfortable. Now, I LOVE our AR. :) Too bad that isn't really something you can carry around.

+1 to you Annie :)

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Is my understanding that with a proper grip the grip saftey will always be deactivated, but you first have to learn proper grip, and that falls back on Jay's stance about practice,
    I believe that most of you are well inteintioned in your viewpoints but seem to lack some understanding on many people in my generation,
    Most of them have trouble remembering to keep their oil changed, with stickers for then next apointment on the windsheild.

Carrying a gun does require a certain level of maturity and self discipline. Maybe they should reconsider.

What would you like to knwo about my experience exactly?
    Nevermind
    I'm 22, old by my standards are retired or people old enough to call themselves old.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is the "woman in question" again. I decided to join on my own and not post under my husband's account.

I have to tell you all that this has made my day fly by! I have enjoyed "listening" to everyone regarding their opinions on all the topics this has spurred. I'm glad that my husband encouraged me to sign up, hopefully I can educate myself a lot more about different guns and which I might fit better.

Jeremiah, we might take you up on your offer to "try" out what you've got.

Thanks!
    Carrie :40oz:

Carrie:

:welcome: to :ingo:!

Firstly, in response to your first post under your husband's account, all of these posts were only partially "supporting Annie" -Those posts were also supporting *you*.

You are doing things exactly correctly, and while it may be semantics to say so, I think perhaps it's less finding a gun you fit and more finding a gun that fits you. Your hand is a set shape, and while skin, muscle, tendon, etc. all move far more easily than wood, polymer, or steel, the fact is that the gun must fit your hand, not the reverse, IMHO. If the reverse works best for you, though, feel free to ignore my opinion! :p :):

I hope you find the right pistol for you. I also hope when you do, you go back to those two "instructors" and blast them off the paper. When you do, consider two things: One: Remind them that they said that women shouldn't have semi-autos and can't handle them correctly....
    And two: When you're doing that reminding, wear a hat made popular (I think by one of our instructors) in the Appleseed program. It's pink and it reads, "Shoot like a girl....IF YOU CAN!"

Good luck, good shooting, and

Blessings,
    Bill

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    IF they are not going to train but still desire to Carry and handgun then you should inform them of the dangers of not training,

...none of my business, unless they ask

but Steer them towards a gun they can shoot.

I'd rather train them to shoot anything that feels comfortable to them

Getting people to own a gun seems to be a big enough challenge these days,

ONLY IF THEY WANT TO OWN A GUN. Not my function to convince anyone to obtain a firearm. HOWEVER, I do believe that if they do obtain a firearm, they should attempt to become proficient with it.

actualy getting people to train and carry extra ammo seems nearly impossible.

That's up to each individual..... and out of my control... unless they ask.

Please tell me why you have a problemn with simplicity? You should know from you knowledege, training, and experience that any gun with manual safties is going to require more practice to become effective with, then say a sig, or a Glock.

I have no problem with simplicity. Matter of fact, I'd guess the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid) has most likely been around long before you began breathing. Gee, both my Sigs have manual safeties. But my XD9 does not, and my SW99 does not, and my Walther does not, but my 1911's do. I'm reasonably proficient with all of em, but I prefer the 1911's. Mastering the complexities of the 1911 does not require MORE training, but DIFFERENT training. Same time frame.

Teaching grip takes time, most people I have ever taught to shoot a pistol, tended to limp wrist, have a low grip, and often "tea cupped" It took several trips to the range to get them to hold the gun with a proper grip. I have seen several cases of people not disengaging the grip saftey, proper to learning a decent grip.

No. Teaching a basic grip, takes about 30 minutes.... becoming proficient with a functional grip takes hours of practice. PRACTICE is the key... REGARDLESS of the firearm.

Then you sir are an exception. In the last 6 months I have seen every 1911 puke. most recently I watched a Kimber custom shop gun break a dissconector with less the 2K rounds through it. Every person I have talked to since I started shooting seems to have the same tale to tell, glocks, sigs, Xds, H&K's , just work better then their 1911's Which have ranged from Norico, most grades of springfeilds, some colts, and many kimbers, The only exception to this has been the two men I know with a Les bear, and a NightHawk, both of them were above the 1K price point by plenty and have since worked flawlessly.

I am no exception. I buy high quality guns, and I maintain them. Bad news and horror stories make the rounds faster then the good news. There are folks n this thread who have fired my 1911's hundreds of times and NEVER had an issue. Matter of fact, I've offered folks $50 if they could limp-wrist my 1911's amd make them malfunction. I can fire them with no grip other than my trigger finger, and thumb, with no malfunction. However, I can create malfunctions in all my polimer-framed guns every time, using the same, two-finger grip.

Taking time out to clean and oil a gun every night isn't possible.

I enjoy cleaning my guns. I rotate my carry guns among several 1911's. That being said, I clean EVERYTHING I shoot within 24 hours.... and everything else gets wiped down when I feel it's time

Tell me again( not accusing you of this, it has just been a trend with older male friends to tell girls to get a small revolver) what about harsh recoil, loud muzzle blasts, and hard to keep on paper at 25 yards, will inspire most people to want to keep shooting?

I have never started a new shooter out with a .45 or .357. I wouldn't suggest learning to drive in a Ferrari. Start with a .22 until the basics are there, then it becomes personal preference.

Huh? Most new shooters I hand them a K frame then a glock, they find out each pistols capacity, and I have yet find a person that choses to carry a revolver with 6 shots over light weight combat pistol with 15+, Except my grandpa, and he only really carries his revolvers around his property.

Personal preference is the bottom line.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Carrying a gun does require a certain level of maturity and self discipline. Maybe they should reconsider.

Nevermind
    Partly why am selective on who I take shooting. I am of the school of thought that a gun is not a magic wand, if it comes into the equation, you had best be in the right for involving it, and best be ready to use it.

and since you are going to dis regard my experience because of age, I assume you are of the school of thought of Age =wisdom, and youth means=a lack of it?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Tried, never got a clear response, partly why the issue isn't laid to rest in my book, THe other reason is I have only rare and spoty intrest in the subject, today it got roused, and I was hoping an fellow INGO member may be able to educate me.

You won't get a clear response from the LEO, or anyone else, because the law does not exist. It is not written anywhere that you are not allowed to carry openly. I hate that an LEO told you it was illegal, but it was merely his opinion not fact. There have been stories here on INGO about getting stopped by LEO's who thought it was illegal and then found later that they were mistaken and apologized.

It's up to you if you want to take someone's word that something is illegal when there is no law documented against it.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Partly why am selective on who I take shooting. I am of the school of thought that a gun is not a magic wand, if it comes into the equation, you had best be in the right for involving it, and best be ready to use it.

and since you are going to dis regard my experience because of age, I assume you are of the school of thought of Age =wisdom, and youth means=a lack of it?

Actually a lot of us have been baptized in fire on what inexperience can do to you. Your mindset is abrasive and conducive to me being rude in return. If you would like to learn the laws of this State/Nation then read them.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Most likely, forgetting to change your oil won't get you killed. Failing to maintain your firearm, or failing to be come proficient with it, MAY in fact get you killed.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Matter of fact, I've offered folks $50 if they could limp-wrist my 1911's amd make them malfunction.
    Don't take that bet the other way around where you'd have to pay!! It's a SUCKER bet!! (not that I'd know from experience):p

I can fire them with no grip other than my trigger finger, and thumb, with no malfunction. However, I can create malfunctions in all my polimer-framed guns every time, using the same, two-finger grip.
    Seen that with my own four eyes.:yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I get your point full well, however when I have asked any police officer, ( as I know few lawyers) They say its a no go, once someone tells me something is illegall I take it with a grain of salt that it is, until I can prove otherwise.

LEOs neither write nor interpret law, they enforce it. While I can understand you using them as a reference, this is usually discouraged. It's not that you can't trust them, nor is it an active desire to lie to you, but rather, in many cases, (forgivable) ignorance.

STOP! Those of you who are about to lambaste me for the "forgivable" part of that last, what I mean is that there are FAR too many laws for anyone; executive, legislator, judge, prosecutor, defense attorney, LEO, or private citizen to know them all, thus, to not know is forgivable. When you're asking the question, most likely you want an answer, and the correct one would either be something the person answering has researched already or "I think it's _______, but I'm not sure. Let me get your number, I'll look it up and let you know." or conversely, even, "I'm really not sure. Contact a lawyer or look up the law yourself, it's online at the state legislature's page." I'd respect that far more than, for example, the Terre Haute cops (or (Plainfield?) police chief (Farrar)) who try to tell people that open carry is unlawful, but start trying to intimidate when you ask them to cite the statute or ordinance making it so.

Not knowing can be forgiven. Not finding out (even if only for your own knowledge) is inexcusable.

When someone does tell you something is unlawful, I'm of the opinion that they should provide the statute making it so for your reference as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    IF they are not going to train but still desire to Carry and handgun then you should inform them of the dangers of not training,

...none of my business, unless they ask

Getting people to own a gun seems to be a big enough challenge these days,

ONLY IF THEY WANT TO OWN A GUN. Not my function to convince anyone to obtain a firearm. HOWEVER, I do believe that if they do obtain a firearm, they should attempt to become proficient with it.

Teaching grip takes time, most people I have ever taught to shoot a pistol, tended to limp wrist, have a low grip, and often "tea cupped" It took several trips to the range to get them to hold the gun with a proper grip. I have seen several cases of people not disengaging the grip saftey, proper to learning a decent grip.

No. Teaching a basic grip, takes about 30 minutes.... becoming proficient with a functional grip takes hours of practice. PRACTICE is the key... REGARDLESS of the firearm.

Then you sir are an exception. In the last 6 months I have seen every 1911 puke. most recently I watched a Kimber custom shop gun break a dissconector with less the 2K rounds through it. Every person I have talked to since I started shooting seems to have the same tale to tell, glocks, sigs, Xds, H&K's , just work better then their 1911's Which have ranged from Norico, most grades of springfeilds, some colts, and many kimbers, The only exception to this has been the two men I know with a Les bear, and a NightHawk, both of them were above the 1K price point by plenty and have since worked flawlessly.

I am no exception. I buy high quality guns, and I maintain them. Bad news and horror stories make the rounds faster then the good news. There are folks n this thread who have fired my 1911's hundreds of times and NEVER had an issue. Matter of fact, I've offered folks $50 if they could limp-wrist my 1911's amd make them malfunction. I can fire them with no grip other than my trigger finger, and thumb, with no malfunction. However, I can create malfunctions in all my polimer-framed guns every time, using the same, two-finger grip.

Tell me again( not accusing you of this, it has just been a trend with older male friends to tell girls to get a small revolver) what about harsh recoil, loud muzzle blasts, and hard to keep on paper at 25 yards, will inspire most people to want to keep shooting?

I have never started a new shooter out with a .45 or .357. I wouldn't suggest learning to drive in a Ferrari. Start with a .22 until the basics are there, then it becomes personal preference.

quote]
    Generally if someone is talking to me about guns, thay have already exressed intrest, and have asked my opinion, I do start them on a .22 but it seems that on most return trips to the range I end up starting over, as they have forgotten what they were doing by the time we go shooting again.

alot of my view on the 1911 come from event similar to this. AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009 - Page 2 - M4Carbine.net Forums

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

My bad sorry for the "age discrimination".

I said nothing about "wisdom" just refering to "expereince".

I will "dis regrad" your expereince because you lack...well ok...expereince.

At 21 years of age, not to flame but to get an understanding.

Are you in the military? LEO? Any Formal weapons training? How many people have you taught? Is this your everday job? So you been out of high school what 3 - 4 years. We all were young once and it has all ways been the guidance of someone with more experence that has got me through some tough situtations. Jay's knowledge on the 1911 is only matched by a few here on INGO. His expereince is someting you should strive to gain.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Generally if someone is talking to me about guns, thay have already exressed intrest, and have asked my opinion, I do start them on a .22 but it seems that on most return trips to the range I end up starting over, as they have forgotten what they were doing by the time we go shooting again.

alot of my view on the 1911 come from event similar to this. AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009 - Page 2 - M4Carbine.net Forums

Get out and experience life not what someone is complaining about on a forum! The 1911 frame has seen more COMBAT action than any current SA pistol made. The 1911 frame is still a preferred choice amongst a lot of operators because of it combat record. I would take almost any 1911 frame over a Glock into Combat. Serious shooters in harms way do not place their lives in the hands of Glock.

Top Bottom