• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    You won't get a clear response from the LEO, or anyone else, because the law does not exist. It is not written anywhere that you are not allowed to carry openly. I hate that an LEO told you it was illegal, but it was merely his opinion not fact. There have been stories here on INGO about getting stopped by LEO's who thought it was illegal and then found later that they were mistaken and apolgized.

It's up to you if you want to take someone's word that something is illegal when there is no law documented against it.

Several members of the dekalb county Sherrifs department have also expressed their opinon at length against us lowly civilians carrying a firearm in the first place.

I try to get facts and documentation, but I just have never really looked into / had intrest in OC, before I ever would I want information, I have read parts of these threads, but I want to be able to avoid any hassel, I want to be able to tell a LEO exactly where to look if he tries telling me I can't OC.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Several members of the dekalb county Sherrifs department have also expressed their opinon at length against us lowly civilians carrying a firearm in the first place.

I try to get facts and documentation, but I just have never really looked into / had intrest in OC, before I ever would I want information, I have read parts of these threads, but I want to be able to avoid any hassel, I want to be able to tell a LEO exactly where to look if he tries telling me I can't OC.

Ok, I don't think you're fully getting it yet. You can't tell an LEO to look exactly anywhere cause it isn't against the law. Lawyers only write laws about stuff that's ILLegal.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Several members of the dekalb county Sherrifs department have also expressed their opinon at length against us lowly civilians carrying a firearm in the first place. .
    Wait a cotton pickin' minute!
    I haven't met one that didn't think that "us" carrying wasn't a good thing...for THEM. They view us as their last line in a bad situation.
    So do Allen County boyz as much as I've understood Sheriff Fries. You might want to look into that before you say much more.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Instead of you telling the LEO where to look up the law, why don't you ask the LEO to quote you the law that supports what they're saying regarding that's it's illegal to OC in Indiana. They won't be able to because there is no such law. And what the members of the sheriff's dept. likes or doesn't like isn't worth a hill of beans, their job is to enforce the law not make it up as they go if that is really the case.

:ingo:

Last edited:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    If I tell you it's illegal to pick your nose in the state of Indiana, will you never harvest green gold again?

rib-tickling-smile-nose-picker.jpg

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    My bad sorry for the "age discrimination".

I said nothing about "wisdom" just refering to "expereince".

I will "dis regrad" your expereince because you lack...well ok...expereince.

At 21 years of age, not to flame but to get an understanding.

Are you in the military? LEO? Any Formal weapons training? How many people have you taught? Is this your everday job? So you been out of high school what 3 - 4 years. We all were young once and it has all ways been the guidance of someone with more experence that has got me through some tough situtations. Jay's knowledge on the 1911 is only matched by a few here on INGO. His expereince is someting you should strive to gain.

No millitary, looking at LEO, but I'm just a dumb **** welder at the moment, with a little college under me. But in the last few years I have aquired a health firearms colletction seen both sides oth this country and worked in many diffrent areas, My exerience out weighs my age, as far as formal training is concerned, I have some, but been more concerned with college, When I go to a range with a friend, they are teaching me, some of my friends shoot over at blacksamp every month, I have an uncle in michigan that is former British military and does private security for a living, He instructs me on an casual basis, I have worked around many of the LEO in the fort wayne are for the last few years, dragging experience and trainginout of them as time alloted. I am not some seasoned Special forces member, But I assure you ever trip to the range focuse on getting better, and I am a theif, I will steal ever bit of knowledge you will give up. I have taught close to 20 new shooters this year, a few of them have even sinceprocured their own firearms, and are becoming competive shooters. I have worked with the M1 for vets program and ould be more active if my last job didn't have me traveling. I have worked with some of the best Garand shooters in the area, as well as one of the best Garand smiths in Indiana. I am learing pistols at the moment, and I get the same answer from a lot of people, no internet forum heros either, there are many guns that work better then the 1911. Most of the advice I get actually regarding the guns themselves come from people that have tested, them, carried them, used them, beat on them, and trained with them far more then I have, some of these men have wrote books, I don't know a one of them that regularly carries a 1911, and cost isn't the reason.

My experience is fairly limited, but not to be discounted.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Wait a cotton pickin' minute!
    I haven't met one that didn't think that "us" carrying wasn't a good thing...for THEM. They view us as their last line in a bad situation.
    So do Allen County boyz as much as I've understood Sheriff Fries. You might want to look into that before you say much more.
    I had a fairly recent run-in with some longer term Dekalb county deputies that left me with a deiffrent impresion

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If I tell you it's illegal to pick your nose in the state of Indiana, will you never harvest green gold again?

rib-tickling-smile-nose-picker.jpg

If I'm not sure I check. what is wrong with that? OC is very uncommon, it is generally meet with resistance( or am I wrong on that as well) I have little intrest in beeing hassled by the police just to prove I am right, I have had quite enough of that in the last year. I don't assume if ther isn't a law, that it is a crime. but when I'm not sure I want to know, And saying that someone on INGO or ARFCOM told me so probably won't hold up in court.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    No millitary, looking at LEO, but I'm just a dumb **** welder at the moment, with a little college under me. But in the last few years I have aquired a health firearms colletction seen both sides oth this country and worked in many diffrent areas, My exerience out weighs my age, as far as formal training is concerned, I have some, but been more concerned with college, When I go to a range with a friend, they are teaching me, some of my friends shoot over at blacksamp every month, I have an uncle in michigan that is former British military and does private security for a living, He instructs me on an casual basis, I have worked around many of the LEO in the fort wayne are for the last few years, dragging experience and trainginout of them as time alloted. I am not some seasoned Special forces member, But I assure you ever trip to the range focuse on getting better, and I am a theif, I will steal ever bit of knowledge you will give up. I have taught close to 20 new shooters this year, a few of them have even sinceprocured their own firearms, and are becoming competive shooters. I have worked with the M1 for vets program and ould be more active if my last job didn't have me traveling. I have worked with some of the best Garand shooters in the area, as well as one of the best Garand smiths in Indiana. I am learing pistols at the moment, and I get the same answer from a lot of people, no internet forum heros either, there are many guns that work better then the 1911. Most of the advice I get actually regarding the guns themselves come from people that have tested, them, carried them, used them, beat on them, and trained with them far more then I have, some of these men have wrote books, I don't know a one of them that regularly carries a 1911, and cost isn't the reason.

My experience is fairly limited, but not to be discounted.

See I knew you were a smart young man full of wisdom. I likes that. M1 for Vet program is awesome and thanks for your support.

I am like you except I call it being a sponge and not a thief. Good luck on your quest to become an LEO. Lots of experinced LEO's on INGO to sponge from. I carried both the 1911 and 92F while in the Corps. I own both still to this day. Tell me I am going to war tommarow I am taking the 1911 and the 92f for backup. My every day carry piece is a Glock 19 (w/2 spare mags) and not because its a better gun its just suits my working lifestyle better. You can do a search on me to find out more but I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor in the Marines. I have a small range and shoot weekly if you ever get to Anderson shoot me a PM.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    See I knew you were a smart young man full of wisdom. I likes that. M1 for Vet program is awesome and thanks for your support.

I am like you except I call it being a sponge and not a thief. Good luck on your quest to become an LEO. Lots of experinced LEO's on INGO to sponge from. I carried both the 1911 and 92F while in the Corps. I own both still to this day. Tell me I am going to war tommarow I am taking the 1911 and the 92f for backup. My every day carry piece is a Glock 19 (w/2 spare mags) and not because its a better gun its just suits my working lifestyle better. You can do a search on me to find out more but I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor in the Marines. I have a small range and shoot weekly if you ever get to Anderson shoot me a PM.

Glock 19 replaced my 92fs and sig P6, I love it. If I get to anderson I'll take you up on it, Last time I shot a garand match the only asvice I got was get a shooting coat. I shot 412/500 at a match in Cadilac, MI but shot the match in jeans a t shirt, and a sling.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Would that--^ have anything to do with this --v ?

Very much so, I had another incident coming back form North Dakota in April as well, and they still **** me off, I wish I could get the offending officers removed from duty, but people tell me just to let it go.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    :welcome: Carrie!

I think it's great that you are out trying as many things as you can.

A lady I work with took a NRA Basic Pistol class with us a few months ago (May I think).

She was applying for her license - even though mentally she said she wasn't "ready" to carry, but eventually she would be and saw no reason not to get it and asked me what I thought she should get. I said she shouldn't rush into it if she didn't want to, and she'd have lots of choices during the class, but if she wasn't ready to carry, I though that a good .22 would be perfect to practice with until she was "ready".

Her husband took her to the shop I recommended and she came home with a Walther P22. When the class rolled around (we were still in the winter season when she applied for her license and bought the Walther) she tried 4 or 5 revolvers and autos and got the basics down very well with her Walther, but nothing really was "the one". Her husband bought a XDm-9 at the same time and she learned that one as well "just in case" since his job is in a different state. She and her husband joined the club and she comes out regularly to practice.

I went shooting once with them and she runs the P22 like a pro, and shoots the XDm just fine too - better than her P22 I might add.

She has decided she doesn't want a revolver, and I don't blame her. Regardless of recommendations for women to "get a snub nose .38" they are just harder to shoot with than many other guns. Even though they are "small" the trigger can still be hard to reach.

With all the women buying guns I'm still stunned that Ruger or Smith hasn't addressed the frame size/trigger reach/trigger weight issue that many women have with double action revolvers.

"Why is the trigger on that Model 19 so much nicer?"

Good question.

A couple weeks ago she shot my buddy's XD-9 sub compact, and she thinks she may have found "the one," but I think she has shot probably a dozen different things by now.

As for me, I could care less if my wife goes through a dozen diffent guns before she finds "the one" that she likes well enough to carry. We're on #2 right now. A Ruger SP101 2.25" .357 Magnum. If she wants a P32 next so be it, but I'm keeping the SP101. :)

As for where (on your person) and how to carry with womens' styles as they are, there have been other similar threads on this forum that address that, but I'll agree that this is probably the most difficult dilemas that I hear from women who carry.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Upon showing my Kimber to a woman who might be interested in one for herself, two men inserted themselves into the conversation. The first came over and started saying a few things that made me wonder if he was for or against Kimber. I really couldn’t tell at first. The second guy definitely was steering this gal away from thinking of a Kimber and even though aversion to recoil was mentioned, he started pointing her toward thinking about a lighter weighted smaller framed 9mm!
    After the girl and her hubby left, the first guy said, "Man, I sure hope I talked her out of a Kimber!"
    I said, "Why??"
    He said, "Because 1911s are too complicated for women to shoot."
    And the other guy said, "No woman should carry a semi auto. I always steer them to revolvers because they are idiot proof."
    OMFG I wanted to stab him in the eye with a Taco Bell spork.
    Anyhow, I sent an "I'm sorry about those two guys" PM to the people who wanted to check out the Kimber before buying one and I told them that the only opinion that counts is hers and if she’s comfortable with the feel/fit and comfortable with the push (recoil) of the .45 then that’s the only thing worth listening to. You can’t tell other people what shoes will fit them best, they have to try them out and walk around in them to see for themselves. We’re all different.
    Anyhow, I hesitated to post this on the open board because INGO was mentioned and the first guy said he’s going to check it out and most likely join.
    I don’t want there to be bad blood, but I also want women to know that you don’t need a revolver because it’s “idiot proof” and 1911 styles are not too complicated for women.
    /rant.

I don't see the big deal. It happens all the time all day long in every gun store, shop, public range I've ever been to. Happens on this board all day long in nearly ever thread that get's posted. Those two will fit right in.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    CAn you cite the Indiana law, actually on the books that allows open carry? I have been told by several old men that have been around long enough to play the game, that Indiana requires open carry when hunting, and concealed carry with the LTCH, I didn't have the knowledge on hand to dispute them, and no amibition to open carry right now, so I haven't looked it up. The only way I'd open carry right now is at a group even such as an open carry dinner, and until I see on paper where it is legal to OC in Indiana and get a second opinon from a lawyer that is willing to back that interpurtation in court, I doubt I will.

You haven't actually bothered to read the law, have you?

Are you really trying to learn anything on this site, or are you just trolling?

Top Bottom