• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Welcome Carrie.... looking forward to hearing from both of you more often, now that you know where we are.....

pass on the pickles and ice cream, and tell him you need handguns........ :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    geeze...... watch it guys, one of 'em is pregnant, and the other one is a blonde with a gun..... :eek:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Let's see.... no sugar coating......

"Most people won't train itha gun" "itha" ? If they don't train, that casts NO aspersions on any firearm, and makes any preferences no longer releveant.
    IF they are not going to train but still desire to Carry and handgun then you should inform them of the dangers of not training, but Steer them towards a gun they can shoot. One that is reliable, that the recoil dosen't intimidate them, that points well, and they can shoot moderat group with.

"The low precentage of indiana residents that actually get a CCW, I am willing to bet a moajority of them are content carrying the gun half the time, and that a good majority of people that carry almost always still carry with just the loaded gun, no speedloaders or extra magazines. I also understand that the majority of CCW holders Iencounter due to time constraints, and expense of ammo shoot less then 50 rounds a month. "

If you can back that up with stats, I'll discuss it. If not ...

I can only go off what I see, but I know Indiana issued permits to less then 7 percent of the population prior to 2009, and of the people I know that carry, unless off duty, less then one on ten of them carry extra ammo on their person, So I am going off what I see, and that is most people are lazy, Getting people to own a gun seems to be a big enough challenge these days, convincing them to carry it is further a hassle, but actualy getting people to train and carry extra ammo seems nearly impossible. Maybe your circles are more enlightend then mine, but as much sense as carring a gun makes, you knwo full well what a challenge convinceing someone of that can be.

Reading that sentence allows me to understand why you would become boggled.

My poor ENGRISH skills aside, Please tell me why you have a problemn with simplicity? You should know from you knowledege, training, and experience that any gun with manual safties is going to require more practice to become effective with, then say a sig, or a Glock.

Teaching grip is easy. Becoming proficient with your grip requires practice, and we've already been there. Proper grip should be employed on EVERY firearm. The grip safety (s a f e t y) is engineered into the 1911, and activates when the firearm is gripped. (no practice required) Activation of the thumb safety is..... well, my 7 year old grandson has mastered it very well. He'll be happy to show you if you like.

Teaching grip takes time, most people I have ever taught to shoot a pistol, tended to limp wrist, have a low grip, and often "tea cupped" It took several trips to the range to get them to hold the gun with a proper grip. I have seen several cases of people not disengaging the grip saftey, proper to learning a decent grip.

None of my 1911's have EVER required any rapair. I shoot 'em, then I clean 'em. They have been 100% reliable for over 3000 rounds each, and in a couple of cases, well over 7000 rounds.

Then you sir are an exception. In the last 6 months I have seen every 1911 puke. most recently I watched a Kimber custom shop gun break a dissconector with less the 2K rounds through it. Every person I have talked to since I started shooting seems to have the same tale to tell, glocks, sigs, Xds, H&K's , just work better then their 1911's Which have ranged from Norico, most grades of springfeilds, some colts, and many kimbers, The only exception to this has been the two men I know with a Les bear, and a NightHawk, both of them were above the 1K price point by plenty and have since worked flawlessly.

Sir.... AGAIN...PRACTICE IS NOT CONNECTED TO A PLATFORM, It enables any shooter to cause his/her self, and his/her chosen platform to perform in such a manner as to perhaps save his/her life.

I refuse to have a neglect contest with any of my firearms. Ludicrous statement, and a rediculous question..... dismissed out of hand.

Its not about a neglect contest, its about real world situations. I don't know about you but FOr months at a time I will work, go to school, and have enough family issues pop up that, Taking time out to clean and oil a gun every night isn't possible. And even if you do have the spare time wouldn't it be reassureing to know that you don't have to worry about it that much?

Sir, your limited experience shows..... trust me.

Tell me again( not accusing you of this, it has just been a trend with older male friends to tell girls to get a small revolver) what about harsh recoil, loud muzzle blasts, and hard to keep on paper at 25 yards, will inspire most people to want to keep shooting?
    Huh? Most new shooters I hand them a K frame then a glock, they find out each pistols capacity, and I have yet find a person that choses to carry a revolver with 6 shots over light weight combat pistol with 15+, Except my grandpa, and he only really carries his revolvers around his property.

And I don't see what the fuss was about, you seemed to respond very directly and without and undue harshness or cruelty.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Semper Fi.... :patriot:

well, you know what they say about age and treachery.... beats youth and brashness every time.......

Thats why I pick on the old timers, You learn alot more and faster from people out of you league then you do beating the people in your own.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The low precentage of indiana residents that actually get a CCW,

I also understand that the majority of CCW holders Iencounter

I firmly beleive that most CCW holders
    By the way...where do you get "CCW" from?
    My permit says "License to Carry Handgun" (LTCH)...no "Conceal" about it.:dunno:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    By the way...where do you get "CCW" from?
    My permit says "License to Carry Handgun" (LTCH)...no "Conceal" about it.:dunno:

CAn you cite the Indiana law, actually on the books that allows open carry? I have been told by several old men that have been around long enough to play the game, that Indiana requires open carry when hunting, and concealed carry with the LTCH, I didn't have the knowledge on hand to dispute them, and no amibition to open carry right now, so I haven't looked it up. The only way I'd open carry right now is at a group even such as an open carry dinner, and until I see on paper where it is legal to OC in Indiana and get a second opinon from a lawyer that is willing to back that interpurtation in court, I doubt I will.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You know the only people worried about not cleaning there weapons are the people whose lives do not rest on whether that weapon functions or not...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    CAn you cite the Indiana law, actually on the books that allows open carry? I have been told by several old men that have been around long enough to play the game, that Indiana requires open carry when hunting, and concealed carry with the LTCH, I didn't have the knowledge on hand to dispute them, and no amibition to open carry right now, so I haven't looked it up. The only way I'd open carry right now is at a group even such as an open carry dinner, and until I see on paper where it is legal to OC in Indiana and get a second opinon from a lawyer that is willing to back that interpurtation in court, I doubt I will.
    There is NO law stated either way. License to carry. That's it.
    You could duct tape it to your forehead if you are so inclined.
    Stupid...but completely within the law.:yesway:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN

Jeremiah, you need a new group of old men to hang out with hon. ;) It's a well known fact here that open carry is perfectly legal in the state of Indiana. Indiana laws do not specify HOW we are required to carry, it simply states that we can if we have the proper license (LTCH). Therefore, open or concealed... it's all legal.

Also, there is no such thing as a "CCW" in Indiana. It's a "LTCH" or License to Carry Handgun. You can duct tape your weapon to your forehead if that's how you wish to carry it as long as you have the LTCH in your pocket.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Jeremiah, you need a new group of old men to hang out with hon. ;) It's a well known fact here that open carry is perfectly legal in the state of Indiana. Indiana laws do not specify HOW we are required to carry, it simply states that we can if we have the proper license (LTCH). Therefore, open or concealed... it's all legal.

Also, there is no such thing as a "CCW" in Indiana. It's a "LTCH" or License to Carry Handgun. You can duct tape your weapon to your forehead if that's how you wish to carry it as long as you have the LTCH in your pocket.

Most of these old men won't stay on the open carry topic to long any how
    as they see it as making yourself a target, I don't argue too much when I'm not sure, I go off the best knowledge I have at the time, and adjust as education permits. I still want to see it in writing, before I test those waters.

And many of these old men are very knowledgeable, Former ISP firearms inspectors, men that do knive training at the academy in plainfeild from time to time, I know police are often full of poor or wrong information, but I also know I don't have the money for a lawyer to prove I'm correct and to retrive my property.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    My poor ENGRISH skills aside, Please tell me why you have a problemn with simplicity? You should know from you knowledege, training, and experience that any gun with manual safties is going to require more practice to become effective with, then say a sig, or a Glock.
    Activating the manual safety should be done while you are drawing. With enough practice I see no difference in time on target.

I refuse to have a neglect contest with any of my firearms. Ludicrous statement, and a rediculous question..... dismissed out of hand.

Its not about a neglect contest, its about real world situations. I don't know about you but FOr months at a time I will work, go to school, and have enough family issues pop up that, Taking time out to clean and oil a gun every night isn't possible. And even if you do have the spare time wouldn't it be reassureing to know that you don't have to worry about it that much?

If you are really seriuos about carrying, cleaning and inspecting your handgun should become like brushing your teeth

Sir, your limited experience shows..... trust me.

Tell me again( not accusing you of this, it has just been a trend with older male friends to tell girls to get a small revolver) what about harsh recoil, loud muzzle blasts, and hard to keep on paper at 25 yards, will inspire most people to want to keep shooting?
    Huh? Most new shooters I hand them a K frame then a glock, they find out each pistols capacity, and I have yet find a person that choses to carry a revolver with 6 shots over light weight combat pistol with 15+, Except my grandpa, and he only really carries his revolvers around his property.

And I don't see what the fuss was about, you seemed to respond very directly and without and undue harshness or cruelty.

I would like to know more about your experience.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Conversely, can you cite the Indiana law, actually on the books that allows blowing your nose while driving a car? There is no law making it UNlawful, therefore, it is lawful.

Wouldn't this be a sad state of affairs wherein any action or lack of action required a law to permit it? In the absence of law forbidding, an action is lawful.

In most cases, see Amendment 9, United States Constitution.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom