• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't agree with what the two men said, but I didn't select a 1911 for the "complication" issues probably referred to by the NRA instructions. I was taught and taught myself that your finger doesn't go to the trigger unless you're ready to fire. This applies to guns with and without safeties. If I remove the issue of a 'safety' I can prepare myself to shoot a little sooner than without unless I train myself and even then, it is probably faster to shoot without flipping a safety than without.

But I might be a big dumb caveman, too! OH NOES!

geico-caveman-relaxing.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If I remove the issue of a 'safety' I can prepare myself to shoot a little sooner than without unless I train myself

........that's exactly why there are guns made with, and without safety's, and an excellent reason for the existence of both revolvers and semi auto's . :yesway:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If I were you.....and a women....which I am not....I would have talked with the NRA instructors more to see what their deal was.

Now...depending on the women that will be using the firearm and what it will be used for...there are times I have recommended a revolver. This is for someone that will shoot it at the range rarely, but feels better having it at home.

Women are perfectly capable of operating complex firearms, however some are not interested.

Next time slap the two guys:D:ingo:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I would steer her away from a Kimber, but only because I hate MIM parts and Kimber only has so-so quality.

I recommend revolvers to both genders if I get the impression that they are not going to shoot at least 50 rounds per week to stay proficient. Or if they have backgrounds in the military and have been through the manual of arms for the M9, I try to stick with a DA/SA pistol.

In other words, what they know, or a point and click interface, whichever is easier.

I just sold my revolver, finally, because I can't shoot it worth a crap and am currently looking at Kel-Tecs.

Reason being, I'm attempting to find a CNA job at this point. A 1911 is a bit hard to conceal in scrubs. After I get the CNA position I'll be taking EMT courses (talked to an old fire fighter and found out who to go to around here.) Additionally, I'll be looking at a BS in nursing with a concentration in trauma care.

Anyway, I'm off topic. Sorry 'bout that.

I wouldn't do anything dump like slap 'em or stick a spork in their eyes. Rather - and I have done this - I'd challenge them to a shooting contest.

Ironically, this involved a full sized Kimber. I was at the gunshop and the guy was talking about how his Kimber was the best thing out there, more accurate, tighter, custom - all that. He didn't think much of my home built 1911 because I had used an RIA frame, barrel and slide.

I bought the same brand of practice ammo he did, and an hour on the range.

My 1911 won't do much better than 2" to 3" at 25yds, but I don't want to do any more work to it.

Even with that poor accuracy, he couldn't keep up, having groups roughly twice the size I was printing.

He took it hard. Next time I saw him though, he was better, both in attitude and in shooting. He had shrunk the group to about 4", what I'd expect.

Josh <><

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Annie said:
    Upon showing my Kimber to a woman who might be interested in one for herself, two men inserted themselves into the conversation. The first came over and started saying a few things that made me wonder if he was for or against Kimber. I really couldn’t tell at first. The second guy definitely was steering this gal away from thinking of a Kimber and even though aversion to recoil was mentioned, he started pointing her toward thinking about a lighter weighted smaller framed 9mm!

"....and with attitudes like these, these are the kinds of guys who are the reason we have the traitorous foreign slimeball in the White House who's there now."

Annie said:
    After the girl and her hubby left, the first guy said, "Man, I sure hope I talked her out of a Kimber!"
    I said, "Why??"
    He said, "Because 1911s are too complicated for women to shoot."
    And the other guy said, "No woman should carry a semi auto. I always steer them to revolvers because they are idiot proof."

"Oh... right. So... that's why I shoot expert with mine, right, you sexist, prejudiced, moronic rectal orifice?"

Do note that the text in bold is edited for the purpose of remaining on INGO for your viewing pleasure. Feel free to use the most appropriate version you like, should you have occasion to quote it in a face to face setting.

And since these two poor excuses for the male gender are board members, the rest of the board might benefit by knowing how they're representing the club in question.

Hope this helps.

Sic 'em, Annie.

Blessings,
    Bill

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I would steer her away from a Kimber, but only because I hate MIM parts and Kimber only has so-so quality

Josh <><

+1 sir, Every kimber I have been near has puked while shooting, Every review I get lends me to believe money would be better spent on a springfeild or used colt. at the same price point.
    The very early kimbers are supposed to be nearly beyond reproach but it seems liek past that they are hit and miss at best.

I steer people away from 1911's because they rust, low capacity, and are heavy. They take more practice to become effective with then do most modern comat pistosl, ( glock Xd, Sig, M&P ) and require more thought in operation.

That said if you kimber works reliably and you shoot it well. Good.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The first time I took my wife to the range, I had just bought her a 1911 for home defense. We lived in California and I was out to sea a lot. This guy comes up and asks me "Son why are you starting her out on that cannon?" I told him we had went to the gunshop and it is what she said felt good in her hand and was a round I trusted to get the job done. He said "well if she is going to learn, teach her right" he than opened up an ammo can and gave us 250 of 230 FMJ. :D
    Found out later he was a retired Marine. :patriot:

Annie you held your composure better than most. I think my wife would have had a thing or two to say. :)

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I steer people away from 1911's because they rust, low capacity, and are heavy. They take more practice to become effective with then do most modern comat pistosl, ( glock Xd, Sig, M&P ) and require more thought in operation.
    Sir, I'll take a bit of exception to that statement.

Yes, 1911's are heavy, but that tends to reduce the perceived recoil, and allow some WOMEN to shoot them a bit better than some revolvers... uh, might check with Annie on this.......

Any firearm will rust without some care and cleaning...

No handgun that I'm aware of comes with "proficiency included"...... YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE TO BECOME PROFICIENT.......

If you lack the muscle memory to operate your handgun without having to think through every step, you might consider a few hundred more hours of practice. I haven't had to think about how to operate any of my 1911's in over 30 years.

There's a trade-off attached to every handgun that's sold. If there were a perfect gun, all of us would own it....... since there isn't, we can all employ our own preferences, and that's the way it should be. I prefer 1911's...... and I've taught for over 30 years, and have NEVER suggested that any person buy anything other than what's comfortable for them. Enough practice to spawn proficiency will allow any shooter to shoot almost any handgun that he/she chooses, regardless of gender.

Just my two cents ;)

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Yes, 1911's are heavy, but that tends to reduce the perceived recoil, and allow some WOMEN to shoot them a bit better than some revolvers... uh, might check with Annie on this.......

Agreed. I've gotten three women started on shooting, all with my 1911. I tried them out on the 1911, then the XD. All three preferred the 1911 because the weight helped them control the recoil.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a female friend that was curious, and wanted to try out my Taurus "Raging Bull" in .454 casull.
    I was just a little apprehensive, but she had already showed she was MORE than capable of handling the recoil from a short-barreled .357 mag.
    After a friendly warning to "hold on with both hands", she set her feet and begin to fire.
    Five shots later, ALL on paper, and she was grinning ear-to-ear! This girl is only 5'10" and about 140lbs, but handled this hand cannon like a pro!
    Underestimate a female AT YOUR OWN RISK!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Annie, you should have stabbed him with that Taco Bell SPORK of yours!

I think men who steer women to small revolvers are TOTAL IDIOTS.

Can anyone tell me a harder handgun to master than a small revolver with a 12# trigger, tiny sights, and typically crappy grips? I know of none.:dunno: Heck many women (and weaker men) have a heck of time just pulling the trigger.

I agree
    I love my snubbies but my wife and daughters hate them.
    They are harder to learn to shoot . The recoil on a small 38 airweight is much harder to deal with than a 1911
    I hope the lady you showed your Kimber to doesn't purchase a small revolver with out at least shooting one
    I have let several ladies at the range try mine and 3-4 rounds is usually enough for them. :dunno:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Enough practice to spawn proficiency will allow any sporker to stab almost any spork that he/she chooses, regardless of gender.

WAIT A MINUTE...... nobody said anything about press 1 for english...... who said my original comment needed fixing anyway ? sheesh... buy 'em books and buy 'em books, and they just eat the pages.........

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom