• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    What a dishonor to compare George Washington, his command, and the fate of his fellow soldiers, to the opportunist political machinations of a State Governor that didn't have the stomach to stick it out when people said things about her she didn't like.

BAD ANALOGY!!!!!!!!

And it is a bad analogy because you say so. Got it.

If the argument that retreating once makes one unfit to lead applies to Palin then it applies to everyone including General Washington.

I suspect that "retreating" from the situation as Governor is not a reason but an excuse. Pretty much everyone I've encountered who cite that as a reason to oppose her were people who opposed her before she stepped down.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    And it is a bad analogy because you say so. Got it.

If the argument that retreating once makes one unfit to lead applies to Palin then it applies to everyone including General Washington.

I suspect that "retreating" from the situation as Governor is not a reason but an excuse. Pretty much everyone I've encountered who cite that as a reason to oppose her were people who opposed her before she stepped down.

Quit does not equal retreat. Got It?

If George had done what Sarah did, we would still be British subjects.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

There is nothing shameful in sacrificing to protect one's family or state (or country).
    The media (and their puppetmasters) even attacked Palin's baby! That's really admirable, isn't it?! What do we call those who attack those weaker (much, much younger in this case) and are unable to defend themselves? Cowards!
    The children weren't running for office. But the scumbags didn't care. They were so afraid of the effect of a real Constitutional (read: American) candidate was having on the general public, they oversteped their bounds.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What a dishonor to compare George Washington, his command, and the fate of his fellow soldiers, to the opportunist political machinations of a State Governor that didn't have the stomach to stick it out when people said things about her she didn't like.

BAD ANALOGY!!!!!!!!

You aren't being accurate with your statements. If it was merely a matter of "stomach," she would have faded into the woodwork. Instead, she chose to put herself into a position where she can fight back, no holds barred. And that is what she is doing.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I am a huge Sarah Palin fan. I like her if for no other reason than the Leftistas are totally afraid of her. When the worst they can come up with is that your daughter got pregnant and kept the baby, that's pretty good in my book.

Having said that, I don't think she will ever be POTUS or VPOTUS. She's been too damaged by the Left. Pity; she's the breath of fresh air this country needs.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Are you claiming that George Washington never suffered defeat in the Revolutionary War, and fell back to a better position to attack again later?

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No, what I'm saying is George never quit. Big difference.

In fact, George DID quit.
    He refused to run for a third term as the US President.

The people wanted him to remain in office, much as the Alaskan people wanted her to remain in office, however neither seem to be power hungry or working for popular opinion. They both did what was right for their country first.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river

The people wanted him to remain in office, much as the Alaskan people wanted her to remain in office, however neither seem to be power hungry or working for popular opinion. They both did what was right for their country first.

WOW! Ok kool-aid drinkers. Good luck in 2012.

I quit.

Hey, Sarah and I have more in common than I thought.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

What a HUGE pile of :poop: trying to compare Sarah Palin to George Washington. How can you even remotely justify that? Also, George Washington decided to not be the president for a third term because he stuck by the principle that no one man should rule indefinitely. George Washington greatly opposed the idea of being made king or a monarchy since that is what the revolution fought so hard to defeat. He stood for principle and a new country and after leading his country to victory and then in its infancy he stepped down because he felt his time was done. Sarah Palin quit on her state to go make millions of dollars promoting herself and exploiting the idea of being a "great conservative" to all those who will swallow the garbage she is talking. Finally, watch MSNBC or read a few liberal blogs and you will see people saying that they want Palin to get the nod for the Republicans as she is looked at as an easy victory for the Liberals.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Circular reasoning. Affirming the consequent. Begging the question. Whichever term one uses it's still a logical fallacy.

So how stepping down from the governorship of Alaska different from running away from New York?

Let's see:

Washington was preserving resources (in his case troops, weapons, and supplies) to fight another day. Palin was preserving resources (largely financial) to fight another day. Check.

The city was being pounded down around Washington's ears. Leaving to take the fight elsewhere left the people of New York alone to get on with their lives, albeit under British rule for the time being. Not just Palin, but the State of Alaska was being bled white by the constant raft of baseless accusations--all of which had to be dealt with and all of which took away from time that could otherwise be spent doing the job of governing the State, at least in Palin's case the State could be left in the hands of a reasonably friendly new governor as opposed to Washington leaving New York in enemy hands. Check.

Washington quickly took up the fight in other venues, keeping the pressure on and, well, retreating some more (in modern terms this is called a "defense in depth" and it's not a slam to point out that it does involve repeated retreats--so long as the retreats are more costly for the attackers than the retreaters). Palin quickly took up the fight in other venues and may not have won (cf. for instance the New York race between Hoffman and Owens--the Republican candidate threw in the towel and endorsed the Democrat leaving the Conservative Hoffman, an essentially unknown, with only Palin's support to bring him within a hair of actually winning) but continues the fight. Check.

Mind you it's one of those "fights"--campaigning for McCain--that actually lost her my support (it would not be impossible to earn it back, but she'll have to work at it)

The real difference, however, that's not in degree rather than kind is that you like Washington and don't like Palin.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I am a huge Sarah Palin fan. I like her if for no other reason than the Leftistas are totally afraid of her. When the worst they can come up with is that your daughter got pregnant and kept the baby, that's pretty good in my book.

Having said that, I don't think she will ever be POTUS or VPOTUS. She's been too damaged by the Left. Pity; she's the breath of fresh air this country needs.

I don't let the left decide who I like for President. Sarah Palin has managed to take her off my current list of people I like for President all by herself, but I don't let the left make that decision for me.

Folk of a conservative to libertarian bent really need to stop worrying so much about what the left thinks and says.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    WOW! Ok kool-aid drinkers. Good luck in 2012.

I quit.

Hey, Sarah and I have more in common than I thought.

Why is it that the leftist always revert to name calling when attacking others? :dunno:

If you don't want to support/vote for Palin, then don't! It's as simple as that. No one is going to try to force you. Or try to change your mind.
    But don't expect those of us who love our country and the Constitution to follow suit.
    I, for one, will never be a "subject"! I will continue to "protect and defend the Constitution of these United States - against all enemies - foriegn and DOMESTIC" to the best of my abilities! God Bless America! :patriot:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    What a HUGE pile of :poop: trying to compare Sarah Palin to George Washington. How can you even remotely justify that? Also, George Washington decided to not be the president for a third term because he stuck by the principle that no one man should rule indefinitely. George Washington greatly opposed the idea of being made king or a monarchy since that is what the revolution fought so hard to defeat. He stood for principle and a new country and after leading his country to victory and then in its infancy he stepped down because he felt his time was done. Sarah Palin quit on her state to go make millions of dollars promoting herself and exploiting the idea of being a "great conservative" to all those who will swallow the garbage she is talking. Finally, watch MSNBC or read a few liberal blogs and you will see people saying that they want Palin to get the nod for the Republicans as she is looked at as an easy victory for the Liberals.

:hehe:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Why is it that the leftist always revert to name calling when attacking others? :dunno:

People who claim to be "right" or "conservative" name call just as much as the Leftist people do. If you read almost every post in this forum that gives a different opinion than "certain" people then that person is automatically labeled a lefty or liberal.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

I have read more than a few Liberal blogs. And the vitriol is just dripping. That in and of itself is a reason why her campaigning for McCain doesn't completely drop her out of contention. Look at who the Libs have "endorsed" as "strong" Republican candidates in the past and consider their track record of actually winning. Could it possibly be that taking the advice of the Liberals on who conservatives (big or small "C") should put forward as a candidate is not the best idea in the world?

Here's a tip of my own: be very careful about taking advice from your enemy.

As for comparing to George Washington, I think you misunderstand. No one is saying Sarah Palin approaches Washington in greatness (certainly I'm not--although seriously, do you really think anyone watched "Bedtime for Bonzo" and thought "that guy's going to be the greatest President of the 20th century; you can never really know what's in a person until they face their test). Rather the example of Washington is being used to show how absurd the particular claim of "unfitness" is. That one steps down from a position, retreats from a fight, which is essentially unwinnable (the endless accusations could be made at little cost but each one had to be defended against at great cost) and which was hurting not just the person stepping down but folk around her, is not an automatic downcheck.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike Palin as a candidate--including that her recent endorsement of a particular RINO is more "business as usual politics" which is totally contrary to what she did have going for her. The she stepped down as governor when her political enemies made it impossible for her to do the job and handed the job off to someone who could is not one of them.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am not saying that anyone should take the advice of the Liberal media or followers in any way. I am saying that they want her to get the nod because they feel that she is an easy victory. Whoever is elected to run for the Republicans needs to have a strong character and be a true conservative or they will not sway enough middle of the road voters away from Obama.

Top Bottom