• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Indy has fingers and pockets of bad areas.....sometimes right next to some very well-to-do areas....its kinda hard to just pinpoint one area and label it as bad around here.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    dont forget haughville.....dont know if thats technically indy tho...but dudes back in highschool used to tout being from or doing business in haughville

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the 80's I worked on HVAC/Refrigeration like Churchmouse.

They call, you roll. We had stores on Chicago south side(103rd st) all the way to 51st Street. Stony Island Ave had more people hanging out at night(after 10:00pm than during the day). We chained our ladders to the gutters if you went on a roof anytime.
    After numerous vehicle break ins, we quit night service unless you could park in front of the entry doors. We rescheduled most calls to day calls. Got tired of buying tools.

Then there was Gary, In. Same garbage, different smell. My van was stolen twice, recovered empty(bosses van actually), decided it was enough. Insurance was sky high for theft of tools, so retired on to different job.
    Became a Police Officer, moved to a rural Town, and have not missed an emergency break down call.

My son attends an Indy College and as I got off the highway, found out that the East Side, and 38th St(Parallel like Korea) was the "WAR Zone".

I am well armed, vehicle full of fuel(no stops in the ghetto), cooler w/ beverages. Just like Stony Island at nighttime, even daytime). I avoid that side of Indy if possible.
    Good luck to you Indy folks, you need it. Rough area for sure.

I have considered retiring from this for a few years but the money is just to good and at my age there is not a lot else to do right now. My son and future son in law are involved and both need the extra money so we gear up and go out among them.

I could retire but I have these cute grand daughters and a very expensive hobby. These things keep me in the service truck.

Any of you who think the world is a right place need to go over to the stretch of 38th st. from capitol to College Ave. and just hang out for a while. We are doing a project on a rental property in that area and you have to have someone stand guard on the trucks parked at the curb.
    The war zones you speak of are exactly that. The zombies have taken over and are spreading like a cancer.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    :D That's awesome! Reminds me of that saying "wherever you go..there you are"

My favorite movie line^^^^^^^
    Mad Max....Thunder Dome

Actually the line said was"
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

And it was actually said first in Buckaroo Bonzi in 1984

Then in 1985 in Mad Max beyond Thunderdome
    Pigkiller: Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

I've been saying and using this as my alt email sig line for almost 30 years.:D

http://youtu.be/FJCZbXqbkBc

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    38th and Lafayette always had the potential to get a little sporty when the mall was still operating. Has it gotten better or worse since then?

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    Certainly hasn't gotten any worse but I can't say it's gotten any better either. If it wasn't for some of the best food in the city up and down Lafayette, I would rarely ever venture to that area. I've never felt threatened there but it can get pretty sketch.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have many LEO and INGOers who live and work all over the Indy area. What do you consider to be some of the worst areas? I'm talking crime, violence, places where you would rather not be.... All opinions welcome
    Well, since I would rather not be in Indy ever, how about "Wherever I am" inside Indy would be what I consider to be the worst area of Indy.

Anything inside 465? Throw in 20 miles outside of it for good measure.
    There ya go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    38th and Lafayette always had the potential to get a little sporty when the mall was still operating. Has it gotten better or worse since then?

Still some idiocy in the area but seems quieter these days. A lot of A$$hats living in the apts. surrounding the area.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Last weekend there were murders on Saturday and Sunday nights at that intersection. One on the NW corner and one on the NE corner. Both victims shot in the head/face. You be the judge....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last weekend there were murders on Saturday and Sunday nights at that intersection. One on the NW corner and one on the NE corner. Both victims shot in the head/face. You be the judge....

I think that rises to the level of "sporty."

I'm glad my parents don't go there anymore. Before it closed, they used to insist on shopping at Lafayette Square because it had always been one of their favorite malls. I tried to get them to stop because of all of the carjackings at the time and other nonsense, but they ignored me because what do I know?

If the mall hadn't closed, by dad would still be going there at 87 buying FUBU and Tommy Hillfiger crap on clearance.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It's still the case and in some windows at night you can see Nazi flags flying , although the demographic is slowly changing .

Did you see the crime map up thread ? Have you seen Public Servant's avatar ?

I have seen plenty of Confederate flags in Mars Hill, but I have never seen a Nazi flag outside of a residence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was in high school Haughville was rough but not dangerous. I had a lot of friends from Washington High school that lived in the area around Michigan and tibbs. Lots of fun.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    10th and Rural isn't too bad. I don't know how it used to be but it seems like they are trying to fix that area up a bit. I work out there and I rarely have (or hear of) any major issues.

I grew up not half a mile from 10th and Rural st. It has gotten a lot better in the past 25 years. I grew up in Woodruff Place and the neighborhood has come a long way! There are still some areas they are working on, but it is getting there.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    When I was in high school Haughville was rough but not dangerous. I had a lot of friends from Washington High school that lived in the area around Michigan and tibbs. Lots of fun.

i dunno i graduated in 08 and was warned not to go to haughville for fear of violence...i didnt infer the threat, i was told straight faced that going there was a bad idea because of the color of my skin

Top Bottom