• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i dunno i graduated in 08 and was warned not to go to haughville for fear of violence...i didnt infer the threat, i was told straight faced that going there was a bad idea because of the color of my skin

In 08 it was a bad idea. I graduated in 1968 so much has changed.

Down around King it is ultra rough.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I used to live at 30th and carrolton Via 1984. When pulling in the comples you would here them yell "5-0" and I was just 19 at the time. Since i owned a black and white tv, radio, shotgun and and baseball bat I think they left me alone. Nothing to steal from that crazy white dude. The rent was cheap. Never had any problems.

Then I moved to 40th and broadway, at least the street dealers did not yell out "5-0".
    Love that apartment you could play basketball inside the cieling where that tall. Never had a problem but i was a college student.

Then i moved to 12th and tibbs. I did get the car stolen and stripped but at the time Picadillies was happening and I just turned 21. Well worth the hassle back then.

If you just watch your back and keep sober you can live about anywhere in INDY,

I have worked in baltimore in the 1980 during a drug frenzy, detriot downtown, New orleans, east st louis, Chicago Atlanta, and memphis TN. All were mush worse than here in INDY. The worst was baltimore in the late 1980's Shooting up right on the street was common, if a car got parked on the street the next morning it was without tires.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not really.

Well no, not by the station house.....:D

I have taken a few youngsters home in that area from youth sporting events and was on edge due to the local Zombies having a bit of a ruckus in the streets.
    I used to take care of the HVAC equipment at the Christamore house and had more than a few occasions to be on guard.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I know it's changing, but is it that bad now? I went to school at South Wayne and lots of my friends lived in Mars Hill. Uneducated white trash was the worst one had to deal with back then. I take it that's no longer the case.

I have to believe people who make comments like this are speaking out of their asses or just so backwoods that anything about a metropolitan area scares the ever loving shyte out of them.

My two Step-Daughters, went to So. Wayne, and Grad. Ben Davis, in 1990, and '92....

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    i dunno i graduated in 08 and was warned not to go to haughville for fear of violence...i didnt infer the threat, i was told straight faced that going there was a bad idea because of the color of my skin

I worked at the Kroger there in Haughville for a week (granted, that's a short amount of time) but that store didn't give me the willies any more than any other one I have ever worked at. Never walked in scared, smiled at folks, talked to everyone I ran into. Customers seemed to appreciate it. I spent two years over at Kentucky and Mann, and that's one of my favorites. And the worst group over there to give us trouble was the white folks (and I can say that because I am one). The worst store I have ever had the displeasure of working in was Southern Plaza. No class trash of every color lives back behind that store. Ended up getting plastic carts so the scrappers would quit stealing them.

I've found in general, in an area that some consider "bad", it's only bad if you go in there acting like you're going to get taken. Go in confident, but not cocky, and you'll be ok. And as someone else has said, Indy's areas aren't the worst. Heck, go with me up to Euclid Street in Cleveland, Chinatown in DC or Chicago (yes, I've been to all three) and some of y'all would be needing a change of undergarments.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Carmel is accepting applications for new residents. Minimum requirements
    -2 cars, of which one must be a late model European
    -1 family member must have had cosmetic surgery
    -if a parent, children must be spoiled and unruly
    -must know how to traverse a roundabout
    -must switch from Wal-Mart to Target (pronounced "Tar-jay")
    -agree to not set foot in the village unless your income is 500K plus

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I have never seen a natzi flag in Mars Hill. I have seen confederate flag. As far as I'm concerned too many Hoosiers gave their life to support that BS.

To support Marion County and Mars Hill I will say I have yet to be a victim of crime. Other than my down spout was stolen off my garage.

I like it here, I grew up in Hendricks Co.

Most of my neighbors in Mars Hill seem to be much more observant.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    No, the entire county is not going downhill rather quickly.

I agree

I just sat on my front porch at 4:30 in the morning, nice and quiet. Heard and saw nothing. Now with that said we have been victims of theft about 2 weeks ago, but theft happens everywhere and we've lived here for 15+ years, this is the first MAJOR issue we have had here. Personally, it is believed it was someone who knows us and knew where we kept the items taken as they went after specific things on the boat and in the shed and left other expensive items.
    I live in the "dreaded" 46201 zip code GT88 refers to, but I live south of 40 close to Irvington and it is a calmer area. I don't hesitate to walk after dark, I am not afraid to sit on my porch at 4 in the morning. It's all in what you make it and those of you who are afraid to come into Indy, stay away. I don't want to have to look after you because of your fear.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Exactly. No one knows when or where crazy will strike.

There is crazy, then there are those who are deliberate in their actions. Either due to financial greed and/or substance addiction. I separate those because true mentally ill people can strike anywhere, as their condition is usually biological. However, most criminals who engage in crimes against people usually have a full understanding of their actions. There is nothing wrong with being poor, living a simple life due to your finances. However, we have a part of US society that tells people they are owed, they are oppressed, with some specific parts of entertainment media glamorizing the thug life. This is spreading all over the metro area, as HUD voucher checks have become popular, and with five year old up-to-code $110K suburban vinyl village homes being foreclosed on in the housing crash, and re-sold at $60K, that is an investment opportunity worth exploring.

The street thug mobs have been well documented. It will only get worse. We are now seeing it strongly appear in Indy, and the news media is finally reporting on it (they used to down play or sanitize certain downtown Indy issues). It is very easy to brush off violent acts that happen after bars close at 3AM. However, when kids are blasting off rounds at 9PM near Circle Center, or brawling at Castleton Sq. at 8PM, it becomes much harder to ignore.

Grew up at 38th & Post.

It's why I live in Bloomington.

Bloomington seems to be getting bad. Sexual assaults are extremely prevalent down there, and the reports on the IDS app tell me the victims aren't even related to the university. Numerous police action shootings over the last few years, as well as other physical assaults on non-affiliated victims.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I have read the whole thread and this had to be the most uninformed post I have ever seen.

Anything inside 465? Throw in 20 miles outside of it for good measure.

Yea, Whitestown and Zionsville are hotbeds of criminal activity and are war zones. ! :rolleyes:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have never been anywhere in an Indiana city that I felt particularly unsafe. But I have never lived in an urban area either.:dunno:

We seem to raise a kinder, gentler version of your typical urban troublemaker here in Indiana. Or at least have a lower number of your true 1%ers.

We also do not tend to let vast areas of urban land go to waste. Ever visit Detroit or Flint, Michigan?

Worst place I have EVER been was the West Bottoms area of Kansas City in the early 90's. Like something from a post-apocalyptic movie. Imagine a 15 passenger van full of rural Indiana FFA members and their advisor driving out to see the famous Kansas City stockyards. Only the stockyards have been closed down. You take a wrong turn and end up in an area where the only other humans around were homeless, drunken, stoned, zombies wandering aimlessly through the streets. Every building has it's windows broken out, doors ripped off, roofs collapsed. I tend to joke to diffuse stressful situations. Our advisor didn't appreciate my humor when I told him that I had seen this movie, and it doesn't end well for the one adult with the busload of kids. They are always the first to get it.:D

Actually the line said was"
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

And it was actually said first in Buckaroo Bonzi in 1984

Buckaroo Bonzi FTW:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    there is no reason to be scared of living in indianapolis!! That is ridiculous! Most of the crime is between certain groups of people! I moved 2 years ago to 10th st between shadeland and arlington. There are some not so great neighborhoods all around me. My neighborhood is pretty safe. I have not felt threatened or scared in 2 years that I have lived here. The bad apples usually keep to themselves. I have worked in Indy for the last 12 years and have never had an issue. I always drive through bad areas, go to the bank, fast food. these people and bad areas have never stopped me from doing the things I wanted to do! Like posted here earlier, crime can and will happen anywhere. We carry guns and train to be prepared. Keep your situational awareness, and be prepared to defend yourself at all times.

My wife just told me that I have a very unapproachable face and I always took pissed off. She thinks this is why I haven't had issues yet! haha

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have seen plenty of Confederate flags in Mars Hill, but I have never seen a Nazi flag outside of a residence.

I have never seen a natzi flag in Mars Hill.

Mars Hill st , just north of Troy , west side of the street . House with a big bay window facing the street , Nazi flag with crossed swords on both sides of it .

At night the shades were always open and the lights were on , kinda like they planned it that way . Haven't been that way in awhile so it's probably gone now .

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Lived in Chicago and had business in St. Louis including crossing the river into east St. Louis. Indy is a picnic.

Heck, go with me up to Euclid Street in Cleveland, Chinatown in DC or Chicago (yes, I've been to all three) and some of y'all would be needing a change of undergarments.

And all of those places are a walk in the park compared to Ciudad Juarez or Mogadishu. :dunno:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Chinatown in DC or Chicago (yes, I've been to all three) and some of y'all would be needing a change of undergarments.

I thought Chinatown in Chicago was pretty decent.:dunno: Close to the ballpark, pretty healthy LEO presence for the Southside.

Cutting across town, from the Dan Ryan to Midway after midnight is a lot more "sporty".:D

Top Bottom