• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's tolerated under sharia. Earl beating up Velma is not tolerated.

It is tolerated under (historic) ecclesiastical law, too. And yet, in America, it remains illegal and (generally) enforced. So again, in America, are you seriously saying that Muslim American women are more likely to be domestic abuse victims than other demographics?

And, I guess more importantly, Trump's insinuation (giving him the benefit of the doubt) is justified because Muslims in other parts of the world mistreat women? That's ok with you?

ETA:
    BTW, not sure if you know this, but the Koran actually addresses the equality of the genders, and that man should be respectful of women. So, reality isn't quite as black and white as make believe, eh?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If behavior like that is condoned in any way you will always have a portion of that community that believes it is ok.
    You can't assimilate into this culture with those beliefs.
    Backwards ass Middle Ages beliefs have no place in this world.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If behavior like that is condoned in any way you will always have a portion of that community that believes it is ok.
    You can't assimilate into this culture with those beliefs.
    Backwards ass Middle Ages beliefs have no place in this world.

Here's one from home.

Cops: Arson And Murder, By Way Of India - CBS News

Not a Muslim thing, just no willingness to adapt to western, let alone American values.

Non-assimilation is an entirely different issue. (This feels familiar, haven't we covered this ground?) :D

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "We'll get a fund."

Makes it sound so easy. We'll get a great deal and everything will be great. People hear this and really buy into it?

Co3IJRvWIAAoqSl.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "We'll get a fund."

Actually, that does have real meaning: bonds. Or at least, that's how the financial markets will understand it. (Whether he means it that way or not is a different issue.)

In the world of .gov financing, creating a "fund" usually means issuing bonds, particularly for improvements.* And this is exactly what my (financial) expectation of Trump has been all along - more debt. This is what he knows. It is what is familiar.

He is resorting to what he knows best.

* There are other contexts, particularly in institutional investing, but when it comes to infrastructure projects, this is the expected context.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Momentarily going back to the Khan issue, here's how a top-notch person (and politician) answers a hard question.

"Time and time again Trump has disrespected our nation's armed forces and veterans and his disrespect for Mr. Khan and his family is an example of that. Will there ever be a point in time when you're able to look Trump in the eye and tell him enough is enough. You have a son in the military. How do you tolerate his disrespect?" said Catherine Byrne, Air Force mom.
    The crowd starting booing after hearing her question.
    "Well, I thank you for the question. It's all right," Pence said to quiet the crowd. "Folks, that's what freedom looks like and that's what freedom sounds like. Okay? It is. Let me say first I want to honor your son's service to the country and your family's service to the country, I truly do. Let me say I know this has been much in the news lately, in the last few days but as I said last night and as Donald Trump said on Saturday night, Captain Khan is an American hero and we honor him and we honor his family as we do all Gold Star families."

Pence has many faults as a leader, but he is a principled person.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Started looking into the Khan theories a bit.... see where they were coming from.

Why am I not surprised:

Team Trump Got Its Smears About Khizr Khan From This ‘Proud Fascist’

At 10:40 on Sunday night, a longtime adviser to Donald Trump tweeted that Khizr Khan—the gold star father who’s emerged as one of the candidate’s most effective critics—was an “agent” of an Islamist cabal. It’s an opinion, less than a day later, that’s become an article of faith to many in Trumpworld.

It’s also the product of the fevered imagination of Theodore “Shoebat,” the pseudonymous conspiracy theorist and Islamophobe who has made a career of spreading nonsense. That is, when he’s not calling himself a “proud fascist.” His dad and fellow conspiracy-monger, Walid, isn’t much better. He swears that Zika is a punishment from God, and likens homosexuality to cannibalism.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh. People were serious about the Saudi thing?

I thought the purplishness was implied.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    But.....Pence never really answered the question!!!! You see that as principle but I see it as more of the same ole same ole.

I think that is the heart of Trump mania. He STATES the position.

What I admire about Trump is HOW he states a position BECAUSE it reminds me of myself.

For example.

You and I are sitting at a bar having a beer, which although some will around here you refuse ;)

I make a blanket statement, I am sick of ALL this BLM stuff. ALM!!!

You respond, well, what they are really trying to say is BLM too, and give me several non sensationalized stories of Black folks being unfairly treated in the last decade.

I respond well I wish they would respond BLM too on their signs then

BUT i walk away better informed with a more nuanced position.

Now what I see happening with Trump.

We all hear his blanket statement because it makes all the news outlets. We don't hear much of the context. However when I have went back and listened to the context and his refinements of position, they mostly remind me of how I talk sitting at the bar and how I ain't really cementing a position as much as I am throwing something out for discussion and what comes out the other end is ok enough for me.

Notice the HOW above. I don't always admire the answers. The most notable instances where I wish he would have kept his mouth shut were the Indiana Judge of Mexican Descent and the Khan family incident.

If it had been me, i would have apologized for a moment of emotion and moved on, something else I have had to do, and if he did , would probably help his numbers.

It seems when it comes to Trump, folks want someone, an outsider with all the polish of a practiced politician, who may exist.

Since the 90s the Republican party has been telling me we need a business man in the oval office because that will move our country in the right direction. Well they have their wish now.

Momentarily going back to the Khan issue, here's how a top-notch person (and politician) answers a hard question.

Pence has many faults as a leader, but he is a principled person.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    But.....Pence never really answered the question!!!! You see that as principle but I see it as more of the same ole same ole.

Yes. :) It is principled: he showed the woman the respect she deserves while rejecting the formulation of the question.

Sometimes, not answering the question directly is respectful.

"Honey, do I look fat in these jeans?"

:)

Pence is a professional. Like I said, he has many faults, but he is good at what he does.

I think that is the heart of Trump mania. He ANSWERS the question.

So, is that a good thing in POTUS? (Or candidate for POTUS?)

Some questions are better left dodged than answered.

What I admire about Trump is HOW he answers a question BECAUSE it reminds me of myself.
    Ok. Does it remind you why you do not hold political office? :D

You and I are sitting at a bar having a beer, which although some will around here you refuse ;)

I make a blanket statement, I am sick of ALL this BLM stuff. ALM!!!

You respond, well, what they are really trying to say is BLM too, and give me several non sensationalized stories of Black folks being unfairly treated in the last decade.

I respond well I wish they would respond BLM too on their signs then

BUT i walk away better informed with a more nuanced position.

Now what I see happening with Trump.
    bwhahahaha

Trump? Nuanced position?

You crack me up dude. :D

We all hear his blanket statement because it makes all the news outlets. We don't hear much of the context. However when I have went back and listened to the context and his refinements of position, they mostly remind me of how I talk sitting at the bar and how I ain't really cementing a position as much as I am throwing something out for discussion and what comes out the other end is ok enough for me.

Notice the HOW above. I don't always admire the answers. The most notable instances where I wish he would have kept his mouth shut were the Indiana Judge of Mexican Descent and the Khan family incident.

If it had been me, i would have apologized for a moment of emotion and moved on, something else I have had to do, and if he did , would probably help his numbers.
    Exactly. And, probably, you would have learned how to handle the situation better, amirite?

So, the next time you were in the situation, maybe - just maybe - you would react differently?

Since the 90s the Republican party has been telling me we need a business man in the oval office because that will move our country in the right direction. Well they have their wish now.

Ok, I'm going to call you out on that one. :D I'll give you Romney, but... Dole? GWB had some business experience but was mostly politician. McCain?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yes. :) It is principled: he showed the woman the respect she deserves while rejecting the formulation of the question.

Sometimes, not answering the question directly is respectful.

"Honey, do I look fat in these jeans?"

:)

Pence is a professional. Like I said, he has many faults, but he is good at what he does.

If I was Pence, I would have answered in this vein, which answers the question.....

Blah Blah.....seldom in life do 2 people, even when they agree on many things, agree on all things. I am a VP candidate and as such I work for Donald Trump just a several of you also work for someone. For me its no different. Now I am sure there are several of you who have, from time to time, disagreed, if not with the direction, then with the manner in which a superior has conducted himself. For those of you who work for a good boss, feedback even when it disagrees is welcomed. Sometimes this feedback is acted upon and sometimes not, but you know you can stand toe to toe and disagree. Out of respect for the boss, you let him adjust the course and do not parade this disagreeements out in front of the rest of the people. I can tell you Donald Trump is a good boss. blah blah

So, is that a good thing in POTUS? (Or candidate for POTUS?)

Some questions are better left dodged than answered.

Ok. Does it remind you why you do not hold political office? :D

Some sure. I did go back and edit the post, but you replied sooo fast!!!!. I changed the opening premise to statements then questions because it was more inline with what I was trying to say.

The problem I have with politics today is I don't see any question answered that I consider tough. When some becomes the majority, which for me it has, then the conversation is not longer interesting. The art of the follow up is lost these days. I want to see them all skewered. Why is it most of us, I bet, can think of better questions than the professionals?

bwhahahaha

Trump? Nuanced position?

You crack me up dude. :D

I said more nuanced and yes I think there are examples of that.

Muslims are a good example of that. Ban them all became intense vetting of those from countries where there are populations with radical elements.

I thought the initial position was stupid. i did however, on a brainstem level agree that more had to be done.

20 years ago I jumped on a plane and went to Hawaii, shoes on and everything, running from gate to gate then aboard planes. Now i have to get there 2 hours early, strip, down, get scanned, etc etc. I don't see a problem with asking a non citizen to undergo some additional vetting and that was where i saw DJT end up.

Exactly. And, probably, you would have learned how to handle the situation better, amirite?

So, the next time you were in the situation, maybe - just maybe - you would react differently?

Of course, but I know a little bit more about myself over the last several years than the D. When I heard his sons influenced his 2A NRA stance, I just accepted it.

I view him as new to the Political Scene so I don't expect Pence like results immediately.

Ok, I'm going to call you out on that one. :D I'll give you Romney, but... Dole? GWB had some business experience but was mostly politician. McCain?

Taking my bar stool stance, you are right to call me out. I was thinking more of how political discussion in general went. When i consider local and state elections overall in my lifetime coming from a then Democratic WV and now in a Republican IN, the vast tone of election ads to which i have been exposed have talked about business experience being a great qualification for holding office. I have also heard the refrain echoed in many a barborshop, bar, and workplace. I should not have restricted myself to the oval office, which was my mistake, but in my experience of the two party system, the overall impression it has left me with agrees with the basic premise. We need business men in office not career politicians.

Have you noticed that as a recurring theme in political advertising?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Started looking into the Khan theories a bit.... see where they were coming from.

Why am I not surprised:

Team Trump Got Its Smears About Khizr Khan From This ‘Proud Fascist’

People are so easily duped by this nonsense...

Khizr Khan Attack on Donald Trump Goes Down in Flames

2.) Does CNN plan to, in the future, have a discussion about all of Khizr Khan’s various connections to the law firm that A) prepared Hillary Clinton’s taxes, B) helped with various aspects of Hillary Clinton’s illicit homebrew email server, C) is paid by the government of Saudi Arabia for representation here in the United States, among other things?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So I got an email today. From Donald J. Trump himself. (Ben Carson sold his list of emails, and mine was in there, I presume.)

He's basically selling his book The Art of the Deal for $184 donation to his campaign. For that contribution, his assistant will send me a "signed" (doesn't say whether robosigned, but I suspect it is) hardcover. Now, this really strikes me as an effort to get rid of a warehouse full of them, or at least make a dent in the inventory.

Color me cynical, but this felt more like advertising for his 30 year old book than about his campaign.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom