• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Agreed Camermonkey! Semis **** me off when they won't do the speed limit. If you aren't going to the speed limit, you have no business in the left lane. I don't care if you have 11 hour drive time in a 14 hour day. If you're gonna ***** and moan about how it's unfair and how you get screwed, find a new job. I have no sympathy for you.

Also, thought of this thread last night. Driving back to station from dropping a patient off at the hospital. Two cars come flying by me, keep in mind I'm already going about 5 over. I thought they were racing at first, one swerved past the other, the other got in line behind him. They were doing at least 85 on 465, starts flipping his brights at him. Got beside him, started swerving at each other. Followed each other off of the US31/East St exit (headed south). So if either of those were you, **** you.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Agreed Camermonkey! Semis **** me off when they won't do the speed limit. If you aren't going to the speed limit, you have no business in the left lane. I don't care if you have 11 hour drive time in a 14 hour day. If you're gonna ***** and moan about how it's unfair and how you get screwed, find a new job. I have no sympathy for you.

Also, thought of this thread last night. Driving back to station from dropping a patient off at the hospital. Two cars come flying by me, keep in mind I'm already going about 5 over. I thought they were racing at first, one swerved past the other, the other got in line behind him. They were doing at least 85 on 465, starts flipping his brights at him. Got beside him, started swerving at each other. Followed each other off of the US31/East St exit (headed south). So if either of those were you, **** you.
    I do not miss driving on I465 going to and coming from work. Occurances, like the one you mentioned above, were almost always a weekly thing. It just blows my mind that people can be so complacent behind the wheel of a 3+ ton of steel and liquid fire starter.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just came back from a 10 day vay cay to central PA. 1300 miles round trip road trip. I have a few nits to pick.

To the *******s on I-71 north of Columbus, just before the exit onto I-270 (Columbus's 465), who, in a miles long stretch of 4+ lane open road managed to play bumper cars in the dark right in front of post-Christmas holiday traffic and block all five lanes snarling traffic to a trickle as we danced around your newly generated debris: **** YOU! **** you straight to Hell!

To all my fellow drivers in that snarl who were literally hopping back AND FORTH between lanes of freshly bumper-to-bumper traffic before you could even see just WTF had happened to be able to react to it properly, join the people mentioned in the above paragraph.

To all of the idjits across Ohio and Indiana (but not Pennsylvania, oddly) who come screaming up in the other lane (delta-V of a minimum of 10 MPH) just to cut in front of me with less than a whole car length between your rear bumper and my front, I'm not lifting anymore. When I'm on cruise control and you pull that happy horse**** again, if you can't pull your Evel Knievel crap off, you're just getting punted in the ass and have to deal with that.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It is a rare day that I don't hear about a semi in an accident somewhere in the Chicago/NWI area. Many accidents occur on exit ramps where the driver doesn't understand the rules of physics. Many years ago semi drivers were respected as true professionals, no more. IMO the way they are paid as mentioned in an earlier post has an effect on how they drive. When driving I often see very poor driving habits by semi drivers. Sure, I also see a ton of idiots driving cars, but the semi drivers are supposed to be professional drivers. Too often safety is compromised in order to maximize the drivers income. A semi driver who causes an accident that ties up an interstate highway for hours should be fined (and his company) big time, and lose their CDL. This may be the only thing that will get their attention.

Also, I had a motor home rig towing a car that was about 50 feet long, so I know all about dealing with cars while driving a good sized rig.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just a thought, morning musings, or incoherent rambling if you will.

Many here who **** and moan about big trucks are too young to remember the reasons why these speed limiters and DOT Hours of Service Rules came into existence in the first place. Thank your older generations for pissing and moaning about big trucks going too fast, thank them for suing freight companies over accidents and driving insurance costs through the roof even when, in most cases, incidents involving trucks and passenger vehicles are caused by the 4 wheelers. Thank them for supporting over regulation and cronyism that push the independents away. You are suffering from yet another unintended consequence brought on by progressive big government policies

Next, check yourselves. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've moved to pass another big rig with no vehicle even close, only to look in my mirror and see someone barreling up from behind at well above the speed limit, riding both lanes hoping to beat me into the right lane before I can complete the pass or the number of absolute bone head, selfish, head up anus moves I, and others, see on a daily basis.

Mental attitude is important when you are behind the wheel. A vehicle is not an inter-dimensional safety zone folks, it does not give you dominion over any space but what your hind end occupies.
    Closing the door and turning the key does not leave you impervious to the outside world and it does not give you powers you don't possess outside of the cockpit.
    You have no rights that trump those of others on the road.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

Many here who **** and moan about big trucks are too young to remember the reasons why these speed limiters and DOT Hours of Service Rules came into existence in the first place. Thank your older generations for pissing and moaning about big trucks going too fast, thank them for suing freight companies over accidents and driving insurance costs through the roof even when, in most cases, incidents involving trucks and passenger vehicles are caused by the 4 wheelers. Thank them for supporting over regulation and cronyism that push the independents away. You are suffering from yet another unintended consequence brought on by progressive big government policies

Next, check yourselves. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've moved to pass another big rig with no vehicle even close, only to look in my mirror and see someone barreling up from behind at well above the speed limit, riding both lanes hoping to beat me into the right lane before I can complete the pass or the number of absolute bone head, selfish, head up anus moves I, and others, see on a daily basis.

Mental attitude is important when you are behind the wheel. A vehicle is not an inter-dimensional safety zone folks, it does not give you dominion over any space but what your hind end occupies.
    Closing the door and turning the key does not leave you impervious to the outside world and it does not give you powers you don't possess outside of the cockpit.
    Well said!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

You're only mad because you drive a truck. :P

I don't care if you're gonna do a few under the speed limit, as long as you can pass that other semi quick enough to get back over. I'm talking about the *******s who do 5-10 under the limit while riding in next to the other semi for 3-4 miles because they can't decide to stay behind them for a bit. I understand that you're paid based on times, but I'm not paid by my times and I need to get back to where I came from.

Anecdote time.

A few months ago, I'm going lights and sirens down I65 to Franklin. Some ass in a semi decided to try to pass another semi before I got there. They rode beside each other going 65 in a 70 for 2-3 miles before they finally decided to get in a straight line again. That cost me about 5-10 minutes in the long run because I was responding from the southside of Indy,

Those are the people who **** me off. If you're going 5 under, but 5 faster than the guy you're wanting to pass, GREAT! Just don't slow back down once you get beside him.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. I have no issue if you cant pass the other semi in a timely fashion. But when your governor is set 5 MPH UNDER the speed limit, you have no business being in a passing lane and obstructing the 4 wheelers that can go 5mph faster. Just like Grandpa who doesnt feel comfy driving over 50 shouldnt be in the right lane of a freeway, If you cant at least do the speed limit you have no business in the only passing lane. Now if you want to inch by 5 under in the MIDDLE lane, GO FOR IT!!!. But your ass shouldnt be obstructing otherwise legal traffic. Dont be a dick.

It was said that you have no right that trumps others... I agree. Unless you are preventing others from exercising their right to do the speed limit. Pass slowly all you want... as long as you are doing the speed limit or there is a lane for others to still pass you. If you cant go the speed limit for whatever reason, you have no business obstructing traffic in the ONLY passing lane. Your want to go 66 past a truck doing 65 in a 70 zone doesnt trump my right to go 70 in a 70. Dont be a dick.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You guys realize the speed limit for trucks (anything over 13 tons gvwr) is 65 once you get outside of city limits right? I'm not saying it's ok to block the lane, but there's a lot more to driving 40 tons vs. 3 tons. A big hill can be a big pain in the butt, and sometimes it's enough to screw up your passing move. The guy in the right lane might have suddenly decided he was going to slow and sped up (that is so freaking annoying!) I'm just saying, yeah it's aggravating but be calm. If your courteous with the truck drivers and give them a little room to work they will be courteous to you.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Yes, frosty I realize that. If you're doing 65 in a 65, great. If you're doing 65 in a 65 trying to pass another rig that's doing 65, **** off and get over. Not directed to you, just semis in general.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Yes, frosty I realize that. If you're doing 65 in a 65, great. If you're doing 65 in a 65 trying to pass another rig that's doing 65, **** off and get over. Not directed to you, just semis in general.
    It's ok I get told to **** off daily... I try to keep a tally but I lose count :D my truck will only go 63 so I keep my ass in the right lane... It helps that I get paid by the hour to!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I could not agree more.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You're only mad because you drive a truck. :P

I don't care if you're gonna do a few under the speed limit, as long as you can pass that other semi quick enough to get back over. I'm talking about the *******s who do 5-10 under the limit while riding in next to the other semi for 3-4 miles because they can't decide to stay behind them for a bit. I understand that you're paid based on times, but I'm not paid by my times and I need to get back to where I came from.

Anecdote time.

A few months ago, I'm going lights and sirens down I65 to Franklin. Some ass in a semi decided to try to pass another semi before I got there. They rode beside each other going 65 in a 70 for 2-3 miles before they finally decided to get in a straight line again. That cost me about 5-10 minutes in the long run because I was responding from the southside of Indy,

Those are the people who **** me off. If you're going 5 under, but 5 faster than the guy you're wanting to pass, GREAT! Just don't slow back down once you get beside him.

Having been on both sides of the coin,(former Law Enforcemnt) I can offer a bit of insight. Sirens, even though they seem to be 'state of the art' are harder to hear then they used to be. One reason, I believe is the way the sound is generated. Old school sirens used air, they created wave disturbances that could be felt and heard at much greater distances, IMHO. The new electronically generated sounds can't compete. I've been passed by LE's running hot and couldn't hear the siren until the vehicle was damned near beside me.
    Modern low profile light bars, even with High Intensity strobes are difficult to see in the day time, even more so in mirrors. At night, the lane location and direction of emergency vehicles are hard to determine because they produce so much light they cause temporary night blindness leaving others on the road little reference to the surrounding areas.

As far as two semi's side by side go, what would you have preferred? The maneuver probably occurred before they even saw you, then he's stuck. What does he do, Try to complete the pass or slow way down and move back, thus placing you in a position where you have to take evasive procedures and jeopardize your passenger? He's damned either choice he makes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. I have no issue if you cant pass the other semi in a timely fashion. But when your governor is set 5 MPH UNDER the speed limit, you have no business being in a passing lane and obstructing the 4 wheelers that can go 5mph faster. Just like Grandpa who doesnt feel comfy driving over 50 shouldnt be in the right lane of a freeway, If you cant at least do the speed limit you have no business in the only passing lane. Now if you want to inch by 5 under in the MIDDLE lane, GO FOR IT!!!. But your ass shouldnt be obstructing otherwise legal traffic. Dont be a dick.

It was said that you have no right that trumps others... I agree. Unless you are preventing others from exercising their right to do the speed limit. Pass slowly all you want... as long as you are doing the speed limit or there is a lane for others to still pass you. If you cant go the speed limit for whatever reason, you have no business obstructing traffic in the ONLY passing lane. Your want to go 66 past a truck doing 65 in a 70 zone doesnt trump my right to go 70 in a 70. Dont be a dick.

So many drivers set the cruise at the limit and attempt to pass a slower vehicle with the cruise set at the limit. When I am in the hammer lane (left) I run with the flow that is more often than not running 10 over. We all do it. If it is clear and no cars in sight I have been known (as many have) to run in excess of that plus 10. That is what the left lane is for.
    If you are pulling out there to pass then look in the mirror.....gauge the speed of oncoming traffic and at least match it. That is being polite.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    On a side note: DOT is considering a rule change to place speed limiters in ALL commercial vehicles. (A decision driven mainly by larger carriers who don't want to compete with the little guy who can move frieght quickly) If you want to continue to **** and moan about slow trucks, support it. If not, exercise your voice against it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Having been on both sides of the coin,(former Law Enforcemnt) I can offer a bit of insight. Sirens, even though they seem to be 'state of the art' are harder to hear then they used to be. One reason, I believe is the way the sound is generated. Old school sirens used air, they created wave disturbances that could be felt and heard at much greater distances, IMHO. The new electronically generated sounds can't compete. I've been passed by LE's running hot and couldn't hear the siren until the vehicle was damned near beside me.
    Modern low profile light bars, even with High Intensity strobes are difficult to see in the day time, even more so in mirrors. At night, the lane location and direction of emergency vehicles are hard to determine because they produce so much light they cause temporary night blindness leaving others on the road little reference to the surrounding areas.

As far as two semi's side by side go, what would you have preferred? The maneuver probably occurred before they even saw you, then he's stuck. What does he do, Try to complete the pass or slow way down and move back, thus placing you in a position where you have to take evasive procedures and jeopardize your passenger? He's damned either choice he makes.

0330 in the morning in an ambulance. It's hard not to see me. I realize that he was starting the pass before I got there, and that's what annoys me the most. He committed to it before I got there, was barely beside him, then stayed there for a couple of miles with me behind him laying on the air horn, sirens, everything I had. :): Personally, I would have preferred him to slow down, let me pass them, then try again. But I'm just a lowly car driver, so what do I know? :D

Top Bottom