• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I am disappointed in this pick. I would have liked to see a conservative female, someone like Jan Brewer, to steal Hillary's "woman card" thunder. I think it would have made more strategic sense.
    Still voting for Trump, though. #NeverHillary

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I can name a pretty good number a possible VP candidates that are superior to Pence, and tactically make sense. Why pick a guy from a state that is pretty much a runaway win for Trump. Pence also carries a significant amount of baggage. What type of voters does Pence bring with him, that haven't already pledged to support Trump? Pence isn't swaying fence-sitters, he's solidifying the base...but the base alone, won't win Trump the election. It's a honestly confusing pick.

I agree totally.

The only thing I came up with was over the last couple months many names were bounced around for Trumps VP pick. But I did notice, once a name was mentioned it seemed within a few days came the "while I am flattered at the possibility of the VP position, I am not interested" statement. Its not like Trump had a wide selection of people to chose from. So, while Pence does not bring a lot to the table, he may have been the best of those interested in the job.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Trump's gonna win whoever he picks. Likely a lot of the reasons he picked Pence go against the status quo. The same as the rest of his unconventional campaign.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Trump's gonna win whoever he picks. Likely a lot of the reasons he picked Pence go against the status quo. The same as the rest of his unconventional campaign.

And I still say he has absolutely no chance. Meh.

Only remotely good thing that this could have caused is Mitch running... but Mitch already said today that he won't run for gov

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Todd Rokita? Or is he smart enough to just stay in the House?

I've heard he was going to go for it in 4 years. Makes sense for him to accelerate that timeline.

Holcomb, unfortunately, might believe he deserves it.

Maybe need a new thread for the governor.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can name a pretty good number a possible VP candidates that are superior to Pence, and tactically make sense. Why pick a guy from a state that is pretty much a runaway win for Trump. Pence also carries a significant amount of baggage. What type of voters does Pence bring with him, that haven't already pledged to support Trump? Pence isn't swaying fence-sitters, he's solidifying the base...but the base alone, won't win Trump the election. It's a honestly confusing pick.

Because Trump doesn't completely understand all of his audience. It's not anything about Indiana.

It was pandering, which Trump has been wrong about before. Remember when he wrongly thought he was supposed to say that women should be punished for having abortions? Well, he wrongly thought Pence would help him with getting #nevertrumpers to support him. Pence, I'm afraid, isn't gonna move the needle. The best thing Trump has done to help him in the national polls is to not be Hillary. I think the FBI report did some damage. Trump certainly isn't.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I dunno that it's such a bad choice. Admittedly my research team is weak :cool:, but I can't think of many current, swingstate gubners who aren't either Dems or damaged goods in some way. Rick Scott of Florida is the only one who comes to mind, and he might not have wanted it. Kasich flat-out said he wouldn't. Expanding the net beyond swingstates, Rick Snyder is implicated in the Flint water mess, Christie in Bridgegate, and PA and VA are run by Dems. And I know this is hard for all y'alls to believe, but solid candidates aren't exactly lining up to join the biggest middle-finger campaign to Washington in our lifetimes.

Pence may well have been the only chemically compatible kickball player left.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Other than the purple, what in the world are you talking about?

I'm not convinced this is a good move for Pence, but it is probably a good move for Trump.

IDK T. Lex. I had read that Pence was beginning to doubt his re-election prospects, so he might see this as the better way forward into the coveted lifetime career in politics

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The base is where he needs help - voters who would otherwise stay home or leave the top line empty. Pence is "safe" and can likely be rehabbed after the RFRA mess.

Plus, like I said, I think this is more about stepping up than the about the VP position itself.

I am curious what INGO Trumpers think about the pick, though. :D

I had read that the professionals (like Manafort) were in favor of Pence while Trump's family were favoring Gingrich. I had understood the reasoning of the professionals to be avoiding having two candidates to manage who are headstrong and likely to go off message

I was kind of leaning Gingrich as a good ideological match, and like others I don't think Pence really adds to the vote tally for Trump

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's a horrible move for Pence too. When the GOPe get back control of their party, theyre going to etch Trump off the pyramid and pretend he never existed. Those that were in his corner, are going to end up outcasts.

Thats assuming we allow them to retake control of the party. They may have to strike back from the doughty ranks of The George Will Party

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom