• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, Brad Thor is awesome; I love his ardent defense of liberty, and I love his novels.

But he's missing the forest for the trees. Even if Donald Trump "fails miserably", he is eons better than Hillary Clinton. And the 2016 presidential election will come down to only two possible winners: Trump or Clinton. Belief in any other viable winner is mere fantasy.

The catch 22 is that as long as we collectively believe that nothing will change

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The catch 22 is that as long as we collectively believe that nothing will change

I'm certainly not saying that I *like* it. I'm simply facing reality. Third parties can't even win elections at the state or even local level. Let's not pretend that a third-party candidate can win in the presidential election in 2016.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I do agree with chip that this isn't the year.

Having lived through (and voted in) the Ross Perot cycle, I have to wonder, though, if the dung of 2016 might fertilize the sapling that is the Libertarian party so that it grows significantly in the next few years.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Having lived through (and voted in) the Ross Perot cycle, I have to wonder, though, if the dung of 2016 might fertilize the sapling that is the Libertarian party so that it grows significantly in the next few years.

The Libertarian party is far too disorganized and splintered - mainly due to the incredibly splintered libertarian ideology. You practically need a master's degree in political science to grasp all of the differences and nuances in the various elements that constitute "libertarian".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Imagine the panties bunching up if it does. Because it won't be because cool kids in leather jackets that can quote Ayn Rand or Mises ad nauseum joining...that 1-2% of the electorate is already there.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The Libertarian party is far too disorganized and splintered - mainly due to the incredibly splintered libertarian ideology. You practically need a master's degree in political science to grasp all of the differences and nuances in the various elements that constitute "libertarian".

Imagine the panties bunching up if it does. Because it won't be because cool kids in leather jackets that can quite Ayn Rand or Mises ad nauseum joining...that 1-2% of the electorate is already there.

What better way to be all things to all people than to have a fractured platform. :) If 2016 instructs us of anything, it is that a void of coherent policy is a legitimate policy of its own. ;) :D

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I'm sure they're working on a test tube baby that will be raised in a "Pure" environment until the time comes to release their [STRIKE]Prophet[/STRIKE] Leader.

Even then, there will still be a speck of imperfection that they will need to argue about.

Lebensborn? The Boys from Brazil?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    This Brad Thor guy doesn't sound very constitutional if he's not willing enough to deny Hillary the presidency. If he gave a crap about the 2nd he should support the only man who can stop Hillary.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I heard a decent critique of this path on a radio show interview. Can't provide a cite as I was riding in another persons vehicle.

The thrust of the argument was to question whether any result produced by even a strong third party would likely lack legitimacy. If you had three strong political parties and one of them won the presidency with, say, 36% of the vote you would be in exactly the same conundrum as the GOP this year vis a vis Trump. 36% would mean that 64% of the population voted for someone else. How would this hypothetical person lead the entire United States?

The same problem would occur in the congress, only magnified. If the house and/or the senate had three roughly even party blocs we would be well on our way to something more like a parliament.
    If it was four or more it would be even worse. Can you imagine a congress made up of GOP, Democratic, Libertarian and Green party legislators?

The interviewee argued that no matter how many parties might come forward, the system would inevitably collapse back to a two party system. It might not be the same two as we have now but the dynamic would be the same

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I heard a decent critique of this path on a radio show interview. Can't provide a cite as I was riding in another persons vehicle.

The thrust of the argument was to question whether any result produced by even a strong third party would likely lack legitimacy. If you had three strong political parties and one of them won the presidency with, say, 36% of the vote you would be in exactly the same conundrum as the GOP this year vis a vis Trump. 36% would mean that 64% of the population voted for someone else. How would this hypothetical person lead the entire United States?

The same problem would occur in the congress, only magnified. If the house and/or the senate had three roughly even party blocs we would be well on our way to something more like a parliament.
    If it was four or more it would be even worse. Can you imagine a congress made up of GOP, Democratic, Libertarian and Green party legislators?

The interviewee argued that no matter how many parties might come forward, the system would inevitably collapse back to a two party system. It might not be the same two as we have now but the dynamic would be the same

You form a coalition government and the parties work together to get legislation they agree upon passed. Lots of countries have more than two political parties and make it work.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You form a coalition government and the parties work together to get legislation they agree upon passed. Lots of countries have more than two political parties and make it work.

Indeed. Said countries have a Parliamentary system, which we do not.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And what does that have to do with having multiple political parties? I believe at one point in our history we managed to have a Democratic Republic without two political parties.

That halcyon period was over at least by the time John Adams won the White House. I figure it's probably human nature at play.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

In a parliamentary system, sure. The hypothetical does not assume a Congress divided three ways, which would indeed necessitate a coalition.

In this scenario the president would no longer be the emperor they have become. Good for the Republic.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stephen Miller said:
    I hope Paul Ryan thoroughly vets his bannerman prior to his meeting with Trump

tumblr_mntlzsvNd21r1qhd4o1_500.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom