T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Big week for Trump clarifications.

Maybe no tax on the rich.

Not actually acting presidential.

Probably no interest in party unity (unless it is united behind him). Ok, maybe this isn't really a flip flop.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ooo now here's a big flip that'll affect a number of INGO members that backed it

Banning Muslims? That was only a suggestion.

Flip-Flops Galore: Trump Now Saying Banning Muslims Was "Just a suggestion" | RedState

I'm guessing the people that loved this idea early on won't hear this side of it. Just like that wall that'll never be built.

Part of the salesperson saying things to hook you in, then never delivering on them.

Were there a lot of INGOtarians agreeing with/supporting that proposal, as-stated? :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Were there a lot of INGOtarians agreeing with/supporting that proposal, as-stated? :dunno:

I did find a couple early in this thread from back around December, but I don't want to call them out on it. Some here have stated support for the "Muslim ban" expressed by Trump. I don't remember what your thoughts on it were, so I'm guessing his flip on the subject won't influence what you think of him?

I think it was one of his bigger "policies" that he was running on early. Turning away from it now, if it gets enough traction in the media, might not make him look that great (however, we have seen him do a flip of a flop... so he might be for a 100% muslim ban in a couple hours).

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I did find a couple early in this thread from back around December, but I don't want to call them out on it. Some here have stated support for the "Muslim ban" expressed by Trump. I don't remember what your thoughts on it were, so I'm guessing his flip on the subject won't influence what you think of him?

I think it was one of his bigger "policies" that he was running on early. Turning away from it now, if it gets enough traction in the media, might not make him look that great (however, we have seen him do a flip of a flop... so he might be for a 100% muslim ban in a couple hours).

That and the 'We have to go after their families bit' got more support than I'd expect.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

My opinion on it at the time was that I understood where he was coming from, but that it was the wrong approach to the solution, and not implementable from a practical perspective. I agreed with "we have a right to decide whom we allow to immigrate" in principle, and "we should halt immigration from X countries, until we have a better grasp on what's going on" in principle, but did not agree with the "we should ban immigration of Muslims" as a means of implementing that principle.

So, I look at it as a *good* thing that Trump is revising that position. Is it a flip-flop? Maybe. I tend to think it more a symptom of Trump being a neophyte politician still trying to get his "sea legs", so to speak. (And yes: being a "neophyte politician" is very much a risk inherent in electing Trump. I've always maintained that.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For the record, I think a Clinton win over Trump is not a done deal.

It will be Trump's Cult of Personality against Clinton's Cult of Familiarity, and I'm not sure how that plays out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And the ice in hell grows a foot thicker.

To borrow a different analogy, I'm wondering if Muhammed is coming to the mountain, or if the mountain is moving toward Muhammed.

Trump is kinda stuck, right? He can't be perceived as getting in bed with the GOPe, but he also runs a serious risk of alienating traditional Republicans who just don't like him or his positions. Can he win without us? Maybe. But it would be much easier to win with us.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    To borrow a different analogy, I'm wondering if Muhammed is coming to the mountain, or if the mountain is moving toward Muhammed.

Trump is kinda stuck, right? He can't be perceived as getting in bed with the GOPe, but he also runs a serious risk of alienating traditional Republicans who just don't like him or his positions. Can he win without us? Maybe. But it would be much easier to win with us.

I think there's going to be a move towards common interests on both sides with Trump.

He's a pragmatist, not be an obsessive ideologue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom