• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ..."Critics of the program contend that many companies use the visas to displace American workers and drive down salaries, both of which are expressly prohibited by law."

This is not a new assertion, it has been going on for more than 20 years. I can remember reading a weeklong feature in the same paper while in LA in the 90's.
    I remember that at the time Microsoft had hired less than 1% of all applicants in the preceding 8 mos for programming jobs while lobbying for more H-1B visas to fill jobs it was having difficulty filling. It turned out that it wasn't skilled programmers it was having trouble finding, it was skilled programmers who would work for $25k per year. And don't forget that these people are high tech indentured servants. If the company that sponsors your visa drops said sponsorship, you go home. They lack any ability to market their skills to other companies to increase their earnings. Hence the name 'techno-coolies'

This is why I believe the people trying to make the case that Trump flip-flopped on this issue, have failed to make their point. Because this is a nuanced issue. You can be in favor of the H1B program existing for its intended purpose - sourcing very hard-to-find skills - but yet against it being abused to convert American occupations to lower pay scales. I suspect some are just more interested in scoring points against Trump, than they are interested in the issue itself.

The reason I think this issue is important, is because these are exactly the types of jobs that are supposed to "replace" manufacturing jobs. We are constantly told by public officials, editorial boards, economists, and academic people that we need to "get away from manufacturing jobs" and our reliance on them. Well, something has to come along and replace them. What good does it do to have these other jobs in industries like IT, if we're going to allow policies like the H1B program to become an "escape door" that gets forced open wider and wider, for corporations to lower the pay scales and basically do the same thing to those workers that it already did to manufacturing?

This is a GRREAT issue to be discussed in a political year, because it has the potential to "move the needle" for average families who would rather work and support themselves, than be supported by Bernie's Welfare World. It gets to the answer of what Republicans can offer as a policy for struggling American families, as an alternative to the public-benefits based policy the other side is peddling. It's absolutely something I think a Republican Presidential candidate should be talking about. And right now, Trump is the only one I'm aware of who's scratching this wound back open and talking about it. So I'm inclined to cut him some slack on it, and hear him flesh out what he's trying to say, rather than just try to inflict cuts on him and draw blood on the only candidate significantly talking about the issue. The voters can then decide whether it's a driving issue for them...or not.

If Trump wants to clarify he's not in favor of completely shutting down the H1B program, and that it does have a valid purpose if used properly, in the context of an overall talent-management policy? If that's the case, then that's not a flip-flop, and I'm fine with that.

I think the people trying to score points against Trump here would actually be happier with Rubio. But I suspect Rubio would try to cobble together support from _both_ the companies trying to skim the cheap labor, _and_ the "pathway to citizenship" people who will eventually populate these diminished-wage jobs, into some kind of "winning coalition" that would "beat Hillary." The reason that's a non-starter for me, is because that position is basically indistinguishable from what Hillary herself would support. I don't think it's a good deal for Americans overall, if to beat Hillary, we have to be just like Hillary on working family issues.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It is a scorched earth policy with no end game. All the marbles are on defeating Trump and if they fail they've recklessly done enormous damage to any chance of electing a candidate in November. They like to point out how Trump is damaging the GOP 'brand' but ignore the greater damage they are themselves inflicting. I just don't get the idea that a less than perfect victory is somehow inferior to a loss

There is an end game, that end game is for the candidate to win the nomination. Whether that is Trump, Cruz, Rubio or Kaish. The end game is the same for all of them.

Or his money lodged in a 'tax advantaged' location, like say the Caymans? :whistle:

And?

LA Times

Companies gaming the visa system is a cruel trick on hard-working Americans

"These are H-1B visas, and if that sounds like a strain of flu, they are in a way: They’re very contagious. More American companies are demanding that Congress authorize more than the 85,000 H-1Bs now allowed every year. Businesses can contract with companies that get those temporary work permit visas, and then pay foreigners less than American workers. The workers get sent home when the visas expire. No messy longtime hometown employees to contend with, no retirement plans to pay into, no unions to butt heads with."

Ah you mean exactly what Trump himself does?
    Model Sues Donald Trump For Breaking Immigration Laws

This is why I believe the people trying to make the case that Trump flip-flopped on this issue, have failed to make their point. Because this is a nuanced issue. You can be in favor of the H1B program existing for its intended purpose - sourcing very hard-to-find skills - but yet against it being abused to convert American occupations to lower pay scales. I suspect some are just more interested in scoring points against Trump, than they are interested in the issue itself.

I'd say people are making the case that Trump flip-flopped is based on his own words. "I'm changing"

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I'd say people are making the case that Trump flip-flopped is based on his own words. "I'm changing"

In that case, I'd say people are jumping at the bit, because to me, changing is not the same as flip-flopping. A change is just a change. A flip-flop is a 180-degree reversal on a subject.

I didn't get to see what the Trump website said before, but assuming it was different, if I had to guess, I suspect somebody influential got the impression he wanted to repeal the H1B Visa program lock, stock, and barrel. And got to him on it and explained their concern from a business standpoint. The current version of the website seems to state that there is in fact a valid purpose for the H1B program, and I would not disagree. Portraying that as a flip-flop seems like "stretching" to me.

The website seems to be saying that program in its current form is abusing American workers. I think if that's any indication, he's dead-on, on this issue.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

The reason I think this issue is important, is because these are exactly the types of jobs that are supposed to "replace" manufacturing jobs. We are constantly told by public officials, editorial boards, economists, and academic people that we need to "get away from manufacturing jobs" and our reliance on them. Well, something has to come along and replace them. What good does it do to have these other jobs in industries like IT, if we're going to allow policies like the H1B program to become an "escape door" that gets forced open wider and wider, for corporations to lower the pay scales and basically do the same thing to those workers that it already did to manufacturing?

This is a GRREAT issue to be discussed in a political year, because it has the potential to "move the needle" for average families who would rather work and support themselves, than be supported by Bernie's Welfare World. It gets to the answer of what Republicans can offer as a policy for struggling American families, as an alternative to the public-benefits based policy the other side is peddling. It's absolutely something I think a Republican Presidential candidate should be talking about. And right now, Trump is the only one I'm aware of who's scratching this wound back open and talking about it. So I'm inclined to cut him some slack on it, and hear him flesh out what he's trying to say, rather than just try to inflict cuts on him and draw blood on the only candidate significantly talking about the issue. The voters can then decide whether it's a driving issue for them...or not.

If Trump wants to clarify he's not in favor of completely shutting down the H1B program, and that it does have a valid purpose if used properly, in the context of an overall talent-management policy? If that's the case, then that's not a flip-flop, and I'm fine with that.

I think the people trying to score points against Trump here would actually be happier with Rubio. But I suspect Rubio would try to cobble together support from _both_ the companies trying to skim the cheap labor, _and_ the "pathway to citizenship" people who will eventually populate these diminished-wage jobs, into some kind of "winning coalition" that would "beat Hillary." The reason that's a non-starter for me, is because that position is basically indistinguishable from what Hillary herself would support. I don't think it's a good deal for Americans overall, if to beat Hillary, we have to be just like Hillary on working family issues.

Repped for the time and effort to make a great explanation.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The guy that attacked Trump in Ohio today was an ISIS and Bernie Sanders supporter.

dimassimo-7.jpg

[video=youtube;GHmQYz4IxVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmQYz4IxVk[/video]

CdYDuHIUsAAlOQL.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is an end game, that end game is for the candidate to win the nomination. Whether that is Trump, Cruz, Rubio or Kaish. The end game is the same for all of them.

And if Trump is the nominee, how do you then move to win the election. THAT is the scorched earth, no endgame aspect.

And?

Ah you mean exactly what Trump himself does?
    Model Sues Donald Trump For Breaking Immigration Laws

I learned on INGO from GPIATM that 'because Bush', or in this case 'because Trump', is not a valid form of argument. Denied

I'd say people are making the case that Trump flip-flopped is based on his own words. "I'm changing"

So Rubio being for amnesty before he was against it, or Mittens desperately wanting Trumps endorsement before he was against him or Cruz's flip-flop on immigration should get a pass, then - right?

Megyn Kelly Grills Rubio and Cruz Hard on Immigration Flip-Flops | Mediaite

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just make sure y'all get screencaps of Trumps position statements beforehand. That way, we can pick 'em apart if he's elected and we see him doing differently than stated. That's when it really matters.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    83% of precincts reporting in Wyoming:
    Ted Cruz - 69%
    Marco Rubio - 23%
    Donald Trump - 5%
    John Kasich - 0%

Wyoming confuses me. 12 delegates today and the rest will be decided later. How are the one awarded in April?

Only 971 votes cast total today in Wyoming.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A tad harsh, mayhap. But a friend who lives in CO does like to say that when you drive across the border into Wyoming you set your watch back twenty years

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom