• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Here's a good look at why Ohio and Florida are important as far as keeping Trump out of the White House

Which makes you wonder why Cruz is actively trying to undermine this. He has to be vying for a VP spot.

I thought the really important GPfact about Trump (after the GPfact that his conservertarian-fu is weak) was that we will lose the election if he heads the ticket.
    So why do we need to worry about keeping him out of the whitehouse ?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I completely believe ALL of Trump's supporters are immoral. Every single one. I also don't believe that they are all racists. But his racial rhetoric makes him unworthy of the office to which he is running. We all know what it is, and some would rather ignore it, and some embrace it completely. Regardless, I'm not buying. I'm apparently cut from a different cloth, because I'd never consider voting for such a person.

Did you vote for Nixon?

"Bill Rogers has got — to his credit it's a decent feeling — but somewhat sort of a blind spot on the black thing because he's been in New York," Nixon said. "He says well, ‘They are coming along, and that after all they are going to strengthen our country in the end because they are strong physically and some of them are smart.' So forth and so on."

"My own view is I think he's right if you're talking in terms of 500 years," he said. "I think it's wrong if you're talking in terms of 50 years. What has to happen is they have be, frankly, inbred. And, you just, that's the only thing that's going to do it, Rose." - Richard Nixon transcribed from the tapes

I know I'm opening myself up to GPIATM's charge of using the 'everybody does it' defense, but I don't think the Donald is a racist on this level of overtness. I also think that 'guess who's coming to dinner' probably isn't going to be Kut (or me for that matter) for much of the GOPe elite, Romney especially

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Kut may be many things, but I don't really think of him as a liberal.

And, Trump is much like Obama in terms of experience for the job. Arguably worse than Obama in that regard.

But Lex, Robio has almost exactly the same job experience as BHO, so if that's a disqualifier ..... we e-l-l-llll now. At least Cruz was a prosecutor.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We just have to keep eyes on the prize. Trump will go down as a hero. He has pushed the GOP to the precipice, and as a result, the "never Hillary" coalition is going to get a more electable nominee than we ever could have had without Trump.

He never wanted to be President, anyway. Now he will be lionized as (possibly) the person who exposed the rift and saved the Party. Not a bad 365 days" work for a small-handed con man.

As for the fans of Marco Villechaize (boss DE plane!), if people won't band together post-Trump and vote for him...then they were never going to, anyway. They need to put on some clean undershorts y chill.

Rubio?s Many Empty ?Moments? | The American Conservative

#EmptySuit

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But Lex, Robio has almost exactly the same job experience as BHO, so if that's a disqualifier ..... we e-l-l-llll now. At least Cruz was a prosecutor.
    Cruz was also the Solicitor General of Texas which was why he argued several cases before SCOTUS including the Heller case.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Monmouth poll
    Florida GOP

Trump 38%
    Rubio 30%
    Cruz 17%
    Kasich 10%

I found a new avatar for you:

iOqnkZz.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Well, in my defense, I wasn't saying it was a disqualifier - simply making the analogy.

But.... it does provide an interesting wrinkle if Rubio gets the nomination, that HRC can't exactly go after him on his experience. Lloyd Bentsen's line notwithstanding.

Mostly, though, I favor Cruz at this point. I'd be ok with Rubio. I still think Kasich would probably be the best, but he also has no path to the nomination.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But.... it does provide an interesting wrinkle if Rubio gets the nomination, that HRC can't exactly go after him on his experience. Lloyd Bentsen's line notwithstanding.

Mostly, though, I favor Cruz at this point. I'd be ok with Rubio. I still think Kasich would probably be the best, but he also has no path to the nomination.

Best path for Cruz is Rubio winning Florida. Cruz supporters should get Rubio that victory and nearly guarantee contested convention, where Cruz essentially takes the nomination.

Cruz campaigning in Florida for some reason is actually bad for him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Only bad if he siphons votes from Rubio and both end up losing because of it. If Cruz can somehow win Florida, then game on.

It was interesting to see the poll numbers in Kansas be wrong. At this stage, I'd figure the electorate would be pretty dedicated to their candidate. But, Trump was +8 IIRC (outside the MOE) before losing by more than that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the Destructor will not be denied, but full disclosure I could be happy with Cruz. I think I'm going to vote for him in our primary because I want him a close 2nd place if its an open convention. I detest Rubio for the good little tool of the GOPe he is and seeks to be. I don't want what he's selling.

RE: "Well, in my defense ..." I know we come across as harsh and judgemental but I hope we don't make you feel like that in this discussion. For my part I think you add a great deal to discussions you participate in and would be sad if I had a hand in ever running you off. It is usually my intention (another brick in the road) to discuss and not to argue

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Best path for Cruz is Rubio winning Florida. Cruz supporters should get Rubio that victory and nearly guarantee contested convention, where Cruz essentially takes the nomination.

Cruz campaigning in Florida for some reason is actually bad for him.

Negative, GhostRider. I think you put Rubio down for good before you mix it up with the Destructor if you're Cruz. That's why he's campaigning against Rubio in FL

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Only bad if he siphons votes from Rubio and both end up losing because of it. If Cruz can somehow win Florida, then game on.

It was interesting to see the poll numbers in Kansas be wrong. At this stage, I'd figure the electorate would be pretty dedicated to their candidate. But, Trump was +8 IIRC (outside the MOE) before losing by more than that.
    The talking heads blamed the bad polling on Kansas having a closed, true Republican only process. The states where the Donald does the best are open primaries.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Rubio at 30% has a much better chance than Cruz at 17%. If I were Cruz, I'd get my hands off of Florida to assure CC. Just weeks ago, Rubio was polling -20%. Now creeping up on the newly floundering and stammering Trump.

I'd prefer to see Cruz get it in CC than Trump take FL and make it about 10% harder to get to CC.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are we to believe that if it goes to the convention, they will give the nomination to anyone but the leader in delegates?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    RE: "Well, in my defense ..." I know we come across as harsh and judgemental but I hope we don't make you feel like that in this discussion. For my part I think you add a great deal to discussions you participate in and would be sad if I had a hand in ever running you off. It is usually my intention (another brick in the road) to discuss and not to argue
    haha

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound defensive. :) As a longtime internets warrior of newsgroups and pre-vbb boards, you'll have to try much harder to run me off. :) My ignore list is <null> for a reason. :D

Rubio at 30% has a much better chance than Cruz at 17%. If I were Cruz, I'd get my hands off of Florida to assure CC. Just weeks ago, Rubio was polling -20%. Now creeping up on the newly floundering and stammering Trump.

I'd prefer to see Cruz get it in CC than Trump take FL and make it about 10% harder to get to CC.

I'm squarely in the #nevertrump group, although I would prefer to have someone (Cruz has the best shot) beat him straight up. If it is to go to convention, so be it.

And, even though Trump would suck, HRC would arguably suck more. At times, I'm not sure I can objectively gauge the potential comparative suckification, though. The suckfest of suck would be the main result of The Clinton v. The Donald.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are we to believe that if it goes to the convention, they will give the nomination to anyone but the leader in delegates?

Who runs the convention? The GOPe
    RNC Rules State GOP Nominee Must Have Won 8 States to Be Considered Candidate at Convention. How long it takes them to change that rule (which they can do at any time, they are under no constraints) to accommodate Mittdalf the White or Robio will be instructive

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom