Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Who knows how much the Japs will pay for Manhattan property these days?"

-DT

"If Black lives don't matter, then go back to Africa"
    -DT

Whites killed by Blacks - 81% (via Twitter)
    -DT

Nevermind it then. I'm too lazy to do that.... speaking of.....

"Laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that"
    -DT

I'll give you this. One of those quotes is actually racist. It's the one he didn't actually say.

Wrong about what? There isn't some magic number of comments that will either one of us right or wrong. The point being, the repeated rhetoric, by Trump, is telling. If one can't see the similarities in the comments, the REPEATED, comments, then one simply isn't paying attention. What some people say in their homes is one thing, to say it publicly quite another. I'd only have to hear such language ONCE, to determine whether a person is worth my time and support. Trump, like Sharpton, has a history of this type of language, and those that follow either, simply put, have drank the kool-aid of racial divisiveness.... and probably buy completely into whatever snake oil they're selling.

This is true. I had a couple of dozen queued up. I imagine you do too. And then I'll have to spend oodles of time verifying that Trump actually said those things. And I imagine you're not going to take my word for it either. At least we agree on one thing. Neither of us contend that Sharpton isn't a race baiter.

The contention is whether Trump is the white equivalence of Al Sharpton. The implication for you seems to be all Trump supporters are immoral. I think that's projecting. There are admittedly some similarities. But Trump =/= Sharpton. And there are many reasons why Trump supporters support him. Most of those aren't because of racism.

I will say this though, that people who do support Trump because they think he's offering a sort of supreme white hope, yes, those people are morally corrupt. But that's not the main reason people support him. But having listened to so many of them, that's just not the main motivator. Most seem to think that they're blowing up the establishment system. Some have just fallen for the con. For some, he's the default choice. Because they don't like any of the other choices, **** it. Roll the dice and hope he doesn't screw things up too bad.

I dunno. Maybe I'm naive and just don't know the code language of racists. I don't hang out with them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll give you this. One of those quotes is actually racist. It's the one he didn't actually say.

This is true. I had a couple of dozen queued up. I imagine you do too. And then I'll have to spend oodles of time verifying that Trump actually said those things. And I imagine you're not going to take my word for it either. At least we agree on one thing. Neither of us contend that Sharpton isn't a race baiter.

The contention is whether Trump is the white equivalence of Al Sharpton. The implication for you seems to be all Trump supporters are immoral. I think that's projecting. There are admittedly some similarities. But Trump =/= Sharpton. And there are many reasons why Trump supporters support him. Most of those aren't because of racism.

I will say this though, that people who do support Trump because they think he's offering a sort of supreme white hope, yes, those people are morally corrupt. But that's not the main reason people support him. But having listened to so many of them, that's just not the main motivator. Most seem to think that they're blowing up the establishment system. Some have just fallen for the con. For some, he's the default choice. Because they don't like any of the other choices, **** it. Roll the dice and hope he doesn't screw things up too bad.

I dunno. Maybe I'm naive and just don't know the code language of racists. I don't hang out with them.

In one way they are equivalent: They're all about themselves. Everything they do is to promote themselves, so that they're relavent in their chosen fields -- and they're using political hot-button issues to drive that promotion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In one way they are equivalent: They're all about themselves. Everything they do is to promote themselves, so that they're relavent in their chosen fields -- and they're using political hot-button issues to drive that promotion.

Yes. Indeed there are some similarities. Self promotion is one of them. Trying to say that all Trump supporters are morally corrupt is assuming a whole lot about why people follow him. I wouldn't say that everyone who supports Al Sharpton is morally corrupt because of that. They can be duped just like many of Trump's supporters are duped.

Trump's main thing isn't race. Trump seems happy to let people believe he's whatever they want him to be. Sharpton's whole shtick is race. Nothing but. Every day.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes. Indeed there are some similarities. Self promotion is one of them. Trying to say that all Trump supporters are morally corrupt is assuming a whole lot about why people follow him. I wouldn't say that everyone who supports Al Sharpton is morally corrupt because of that. They can be duped just like many of Trump's supporters are duped.

Trump's main thing isn't race. Trump seems happy to let people believe he's whatever they want him to be. Sharpton's whole shtick is race. Nothing but. Every day.

Yeah, no, I'm not lumping all the supporters of each in there, necessarily. That's an entire other argument. As this last page was about whether one was as racist as the other, whether they were really all that different, it's to that I made my remarks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I completely believe ALL of Trump's supporters are immoral. Every single one. I also don't believe that they are all racists. But his racial rhetoric makes him unworthy of the office to which he is running. We all know what it is, and some would rather ignore it, and some embrace it completely. Regardless, I'm not buying. I'm apparently cut from a different cloth, because I'd never consider voting for such a person.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ill say it. All of Al Sharpton's supporters are morally corrupt, as well.... or just plain dumb (the latter applying to both, too).

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort

In a way I can see both you and Kutnupe as being right. I know that the Trump fans will disbelieve this, but he remains intentionally vague so that disaffected people who don't really pay too much attention to politics can project their main goal onto him and believe it is his main goal as well. For example, in his announcement speech he made only passing comments on immigration with practically no specifics, but it was quickly made into his flagship cause because people wanted it to be.

In the same way he is very vague and selective about where and what he says about race, because he wants to be all things to all people. It is just sad that so many have fallen for such an easy con.

So, in short, I don't think Trump is as racist as Sharpton, or at least that isn't his main focus like Sharpton, but on the other hand, he doesn't denounce racism because he wants to be the racist candidate... to racists. Its all about the lemmings projecting what they want to hear onto what he is saying.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you aced English, then you probably did a fair bit of research.... put it to use, if you doubt the validity.

Hey, cool. But I'd really like you to reveal what some of your sources are that you're getting information from, if you're up to it (and if you can remember them).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Basically old news, since he was a democrat back then, but is now an accepted conservative:
    Trump Draws Criticism for Ad He Ran After Jogger Attack - NYTimes.com

On May 1, 1989, Donald J. Trump took out full-page advertisements in four New York newspapers calling for the return of the death penalty. Mr. Trump said he wanted the ''criminals of every age'' who were accused of beating and raping a jogger in Central Park 12 days earlier ''to be afraid.''
    Carol Taylor, a writer and demonstrator at the recent rallies, was not surprised at Mr. Trump's recent comments. ''Of course he won't apologize, because he's a rich white colorist male who is wallowing in the unearned privilege of his white skin color,'' she said. On Monday, she held a sign that said: ''Donald Trump, don't be a chump. For dissing black boys so bad, where's your full-page apology ad?''

A protest is planned near the Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in Midtown on Sunday. ''I'll be there. I think I'll make my sign bigger,'' Ms. Taylor said.

Mr. Trump shrugged off the planned protest. ''I don't mind if they picket. I like pickets.''

Most relevant now, in 2 respects:
    1) The same notion is reflected in his foreign policy proposals to instill fear in our enemies. He believes that fear is the primary leverage with enemies.

2) As executive, he will be in charge of enforcing the laws. Not only the laws that exist, but the laws that he may seek to get passed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Trump's politics are those if racial divisiveness. Put a track suit on him, a tan, and a bad perm, and he's Al Sharpton.

Wow, the libs are really pushing this. Hoping it will stick...

sw50sw8sw578.gif
    :rolleyes:

It's stuck. He's your Sharpton.

Maybe stuck with the liberals as your new chant?
    You liberal's biggest fear has not anything to do with your Sharpton creation. Moreover whether Donald Trump is the Republican's Barack Obama.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe stuck with the liberals as your new chant?
    You liberal's biggest fear has not anything to do with your Sharpton creation. Moreover whether Donald Trump is the Republican's Barack Obama.
    Kut may be many things, but I don't really think of him as a liberal.

And, Trump is much like Obama in terms of experience for the job. Arguably worse than Obama in that regard.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No, not really. This is the unique opportunity to see if people who rant and rave about others are as equally fallible. Donald Trump is leaning hard on racial divisiveness. He's using the same tactics as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I don't get into debates about those two, because most things said about them are correct, and I refuse to support them.
    But here we are America, and now there's a guy from the other side doing the exact same thing. This is your chance to prove that you're above the pettiness of Jackson and Sharpton, and reject Trump outright..... but as we all know, that's not happening, so what gives?

Do you have specific Trump positions, rhetoric, etc. to quote? Show me where he has said things analogous to Sharpton and Jackson, and I'll respond accordingly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kut may be many things, but I don't really think of him as a liberal.

And, Trump is much like Obama in terms of experience for the job. Arguably worse than Obama in that regard.

I don't think of him as a liberal either. I do think he likes to challenge typical beliefs. If he were on a site comprising mostly liberals I'd expect that he'd be challenging them.

That said, I do think his sensitivity to dog whistles and "code words" is kinda turned up a bit too high.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can't say I disagree with this (below). This election cycle, if anything, is going to call for the need to clean house. Lot of people claiming to be conservative showing their true colors.

From John Ekdahl:

He's absolutely right.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think of him as a liberal either. I do think he likes to challenge typical beliefs. If he were on a site comprising mostly liberals I'd expect that he'd be challenging them.

That said, I do think his sensitivity to dog whistles and "code words" is kinda turned up a bit too high.

Maybe.

And, while I don't think Al Sharpton is the appropriate analog, I think there is some truth to his point. Trump is absolutely willing to exploit racial divides. Maybe more like the Clintons or other national democrats. (Somewhat ironic, given his past support habits.)

I think the GOP has taken positive steps toward the "big tent" outreach in recent years. Trump is, at a minimum undermining that, if not directly opposed to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom