• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why wouldn't the air bags have deployed?

Airbags are pretty smart these days and don't deploy on crashes they aren't needed in *typically*, but like all machines can operate outside parameters. They know if you have your seatbelt on, know how fast the car is decelerating and if it's rolling, etc. It's not just an impact sensor in the bumper these days.

Note the relatively low speed and little damage to the Jeep's bumper. Note the Jeep driver didn't bite the steering wheel...

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Airbags are pretty smart these days and don't deploy on crashes they aren't needed in *typically*, but like all machines can operate outside parameters. They know if you have your seatbelt on, know how fast the car is decelerating and if it's rolling, etc. It's not just an impact sensor in the bumper these days.

Note the relatively low speed and little damage to the Jeep's bumper. Note the Jeep driver didn't bite the steering wheel...
    Thanks, that's stuff I wasn't aware of. I did notice to the apparent minor damage. Figured there would have been plastic pieces flying all over the place.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Jeep won that crash, damage wise. Still impressive how the Tesla just pushed it out of the way after the initial crash.
    EV torque is a thing.

On a side not, that's not a really common Jeep. That's a Rubicon 392 Hemi.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A Model 3 is not what I would call an expensive car.

I don't know enough about Teslas to recognize the models by sight, but I see Model 3s for sale for $15k-ish on cars.com pretty readily. If he had insurance they'd almost certainly total it out.

I still run full coverage on all of our vehicles, the cost difference is so negligible between collision only and full coverage it doesn't make much sense to run naked.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know enough about Teslas to recognize the models by sight, but I see Model 3s for sale for $15k-ish on cars.com pretty readily. If he had insurance they'd almost certainly total it out.

I still run full coverage on all of our vehicles, the cost difference is so negligible between collision only and full coverage it doesn't make much sense to run naked.
    I mean same with comprehensive, really. I have full coverage too. I've had two vehicles over the last 15 years totaled by hail damage and if I added up what they payed out, I'm probably ahead by a good bit. I'd have just been **** out of luck if I hadn't kept comprehensive up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    I watched this video a couple weeks ago. I was impressed at the performance of an EV truck but not surprised at the lack of emphasis on the opportunity costs associated with EVs. (Note that I am not anti-EV. I just don’t think they’re ready for my lifestyle yet.) The math slightly leans towards use of an EV truck…but only if you’re going to pull that load within its charge range. For me, this is the achilles heel of EV—range and recharge time.

If you’re the kind that will drive nearly always in town or very short commutes where you will have ample down time for recharging, an EV may well suit you.

Yep you took the words out of my mouth, EV are good for city or town driving while gas vehicles are better if you have to drive long distance. Right now there still isn't enough infrastructure for long distance EV travel, although in 10 or 20 years it may be a different conversation.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Top Bottom