12   0   0
    DgJB24yWkAEaZW3.jpg:large

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    IMO, the level of political discourse has been on a steady decline since at least the 90's, with a rejection of both substance and any recognition of good faith disagreement.

"Gotcha" and and a presumption of malice, coupled with the glorification of incredible rudeness, are vastly more important to a huge swath of both sides than actually seeking solutions and the truth.

Whether it is Maddox or Coulter, they are just different sides of the same rude "burn it all down" coin.

Both sides practice the staple of dehumanization, just with different targets and justifications.

I've basically bowed out of the whole thing. There is almost no one involved on the big stage that I want to attach my character and integrity to.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh! Oh! Bible stuff... :rockwoot:

Jeff Sessions wasn't wrong in citing that, however, you better be darn sure the law is righteous, or at least not sinful...

In this case, it's probably OK. ...I think.

Stephen Colbert's retort, on the other hand, is a bad retort when he tries to use Romans 13:10 as a counter:

The problem is there's two means of the word "law". In first half of the chapter, Paul is referring to the civil law, that is laws instituted by man. In the second half, the law referred to is the Mosaic Law, the law set forth in the Ten Commandments.

I heard this story reported on NPR Friday afternoon... My wife can confirm that I was shouting, "No! No! No!" in the car when I heard that bit of scripture twisting. Romans 13:10 in no way invalidates the rule of law in government.

It was absurd for Sessions to try to quote scripture while trying to justify their border policy. He should have nailed progressives with the logical conclusion of THEIR responsibility for the law as it is today, called for congress to fix it, and preemptively admonished Democrats who would not vote for it, as being the inhumane ones. Instead. Nope. Just feed the press frenzy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have to wonder if this is simply political gamesmanship to get congress moving on immigration related stuff. It's working if that's the objective, but the political costs seem high. Just have to see how it sorts out down the road..

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Politicians trying to give and grant where they have no business.

"Look how great and compassionate we are by helping these children!"
    They caused the problem by automatically granting citizenship to the children of illegal parents who had them out on this side of the border.
    It should have NEVER been implemented.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Trump orders the law to be followed and the news media goes wild. Congress passed this law, they are the ones who should be strung up. And who was president when this child separation law was passed?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Politicians trying to give and grant where they have no business.
    "Look how great and compassionate we are by helping these children!"
    They caused the problem by automatically granting citizenship to the children of illegal parents who had them out on this side of the border.

The Supreme Court ruled that was what the 14th amendment said over 100 years ago, in opposition to what the politicians of the time wanted. The legal principle goes back to before the civil war

The 14th Am case to do with the children of Chinese laborers who were banned by statute from naturalization based on race. It nothing to do with our political/immigration situation today.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Now correct me if I am wrong... I thought as American citizens we had a civic duty to protect/defend our nation against invaders/invasion.. these illegals march through the streets waving their countries flag, being destructive and disruptive, making demands on OUR government... taking government/taxpayer money in illegal public aid like food stamps, free medical care, free education, while most American kids will go into life long debt to pay for school, and most working class Americans can not afford insurance and go without.. if this is not an invasion then what is..our government needs to treat this like an invasion and defend our nation and its borders

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...They caused the problem by automatically granting citizenship to the children of illegal parents who had them out on this side of the border.

I am fully on board with anyone born here being a citizen.

Letting this affect the status of the parents, on the other hand- that's the problem.

"Your kid's a citizen, but here's the beauty part, if you want you kid with you, no problem, they can live where you live...which isn't here. They can stay here with a legal guardian who is here legally. They can go with you and come back when they can live on their own. All great options! "

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I am fully on board with anyone born here being a citizen.

Letting this affect the status of the parents, on the other hand- that's the problem.

"Your kid's a citizen, but here's the beauty part, if you want you kid with you, no problem, they can live where you live...which isn't here. They can stay here with a legal guardian who is here legally. They can go with you and come back when they can live on their own. All great options! "
    So with this statement, you are saying the children of the law breaker should be rewarded even though they shouldn't be here to begin with... that is like saying my father robbed a bank.. he got away with it for years.. we lived it up on the money...but he gets caught, and since the children have gotten used to a certain lifestyle, they children should be able to keep the money stolen by the parents.. does that seem right??

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So with this statement, you are saying the children of the law breaker should be rewarded even though they shouldn't be here to begin with... that is like saying my father robbed a bank.. he got away with it for years.. we lived it up on the money...but he gets caught, and since the children have gotten used to a certain lifestyle, they children should be able to keep the money stolen by the parents.. does that seem right??

I think he's just saying that any child born here is considered a citizen, and that has been long held. Until the Constitution is amended and clarified, it should remain that way. That doesn't make it right, that just makes it's application consistent. I agree with him, in that regard. If a child is born here to illegal immigrants, then they ARE a citizen. But that should have no bearing on the parents. The parent need to go, and obviously they are probably going to want to take their child with them. When that child comes of age, then they have the option of leaving their parent's native home, and returning to the place of their birth, with no issues.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I think he's just saying that any child born here is considered a citizen, and that has been long held. Until the Constitution is amended and clarified, it should remain that way. That doesn't make it right, that just makes it's application consistent. I agree with him, in that regard. If a child is born here to illegal immigrants, then they ARE a citizen. But that should have no bearing on the parents. The parent need to go, and obviously they are probably going to want to take their child with them. When that child comes of age, then they have the option of leaving their parent's native home, and returning to the place of their birth, with no issues.
    I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with giving citizenship to a child who's parents are illegally invading the united states..That law was not intended to be meant for illegals in the country, that's like rewarding trespassers for breaking the law.. if you are here illegally then your kid is born here illegally and it's unjust to Americans to overlook that fact.. especially since 99% of the time we as tax payers paid for that illegal birth and then our tax dollars will provide food, shelter and medical care on our dime... all the while most Americans can't afford health care and go without...but hey..lets just give it to some anchor babies

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So apparently Trump signed an Executive Order today to stop the separation of children from their families (in other words, exactly what the left was calling for), and they're still not happy. Maybe we should keep the immigrants and get rid of the leftists.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    So apparently Trump signed an Executive Order today to stop the separation of children from their families (in other words, exactly what the left was calling for), and they're still not happy. Maybe we should keep the immigrants and get rid of the leftists.

him out Hitlary in the libs happy......pretty easy....

Top Bottom