• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The bigger question there is: why do people think that it is acceptable to approach a random stranger and start yanking at things on that stranger's belt - whether it's a gun, or a phone, or a pager (do those even still exist?), or whatever?

I recall when a Walmart employee at the self-checkout grabbed at my shirt in an attempt to cover my gun, while telling me I shouldn't have it "out like that".

That was a pretty surprising moment... like... what the **** does this guy think he's doing? You don't touch people, let alone armed people in the general area of their gun.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I recall when a Walmart employee at the self-checkout grabbed at my shirt in an attempt to cover my gun, while telling me I shouldn't have it "out like that".

That was a pretty surprising moment... like... what the **** does this guy think he's doing? You don't touch people, let alone armed people in the general area of their gun.

Yeah, that flirts perilously close to "play stupid/dangerous games, win stupid/dangerous prizes" territory.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The bigger question there is: why do people think that it is acceptable to approach a random stranger and start yanking at things on that stranger's belt - whether it's a gun, or a phone, or a pager (do those even still exist?), or whatever?

Well, she's not a "stranger". She's in the Auxiliary, I'm in the Legion. We've known each other for years.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Yeah, I noticed some drift a couple days ago. I'm a big fan of 'discreet' carry myself. It's very hard to quantify things like deterrent factor of OC and whether or not OC makes you a target. There's just no reliable data.

Your daily carry should be comfortable, or you won't carry - and accessible, or it won't do you any good.

Well, the lack of data that shows OCers targeted speaks volumes. ;)

How many stories do we read on a daily basis of people who are CCing defending themselves from criminals?

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Well, the lack of data that shows OCers targeted speaks volumes. ;)

How many stories do we read on a daily basis of people who are CCing defending themselves from criminals?

I tend to agree with you, but the lack of hard numbers makes it difficult to argue. :)

And just to clarify, by discreet, I simply mean not flaunting it. A reasonably deep IWB, or OWB with a cover garment. Even Pocket carry (with holster/trigger guard) that prints badly. None of these will prevent you from being spotted, but all are less likely to raise a hue and cry then a drop leg, or a shoulder rig over a t-shirt.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Pete, Where have you actually seen that.

Look above and see how I dress daily. I have never had any private person get bent of shape, Every incident was with LEO.

I have had some off the cuff statements, but never had anyone act as though they are afraid.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Blue-

I hardly ever see OC of any type unless I'm visiting Rural King. I never said OC'ing will cause a confrontation, just that it is more likely​. If you are trying to raise awareness, or present a deterrent presence, you just about have to be blatant with your OC to get noticed.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Blue-

I hardly ever see OC of any type unless I'm visiting Rural King. I never said OC'ing will cause a confrontation, just that it is more likely​. If you are trying to raise awareness, or present a deterrent presence, you just about have to be blatant with your OC to get noticed.

I believe that is so when you are talking about the general public, but not when you're talking about the criminal element. They are more astute in their observations as they have to continually run the risk/loss scenarios on potential targets.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actually I notice a lot of people notice me, but most say nothing, most that do say something have a plesant conversation, a few compliment me, and on a very rare occaision I am asked a pointed question. A fellow in Menard's once noticed that I carry 2 spare mags and asked "How much ammo do you need?" I answered "I don't know." and walked away.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Seems the guy I responded to is ex-Navy (Rob).

Rob Kneaul Open carry is mainly used as a means of tacit intimidation of others around oneself. One could just as easily and more safely concealed carry without painting a huge target on their back saying in case the **** hits the fan put the knife here to acquire my weapon.

· Reply · 22
    · 13 hrs
    Manage

Hide 22 Replies

William Bahus Really? When I open carry it's because it's more comfortable for me to do so. And the whole "target" argument is a myth.

· Reply · 11
    · 10 hrs
    Manage

The Hypocrisy and Stupidity of Gun Control Opponents You open carry because you're a dick.

· Reply · 11
    · 9 hrs
    Manage

Larry Dittoe Oh really. Your argument is to insult people. I know William Bahus. He doesn't open carry to intimdate. And he's not a dick.

· Reply · 9 hrs · Edited
    Manage

Larry Dittoe Most arguments against open carry are the same arguments that anti-gunners use. Why would you use anti-gun arguments on a page making fun of anti-gunners?

· Reply · 9 hrs
    Manage

The Hypocrisy and Stupidity of Gun Control Opponents If you defend open carry manchildren you're a dick too Larry.

· Reply · 33
    · 9 hrs
    Manage

Jonathan Romans

· Reply · 22
    · 8 hrs

· Reply · 11
    · 8 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul I'm never intimidated by it either. Though I do immediately increase situational awareness and possible weapons to use. If I was a criminal wishing to steal a weapon a hot coffee cup full of coffee to the temple from behind will quickly make the carrier the victim. The only thing that stops criminals from doing so is considering if people are concealed carry around the target.

· Reply · 8 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul You're definitely a target in my concealed carry eyes when you open carry. You've identified yourself as a potential threat. Should you act irrational at all while open carrying the possibilities of you getting shot in self defense increase ten fold or more.

· Reply · 8 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul Even the NRA talking points back up my belief that open carry creates a target on your back. An armed society is a polite society. Why??? Because if you act irrational or dangerous while others know you are armed they will not hesitate to take out t...See More

· Reply · 8 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul Larry Dittoe dumb**** if this page made fun of gun control supporters it would be named the hypocrisy and stupidity of gun control supporters. It doesn't dumb**** it calls out the stupidity and hypocrisy of the NRA whackjob terrorist sympathizers.

· Reply · 7 hrs
    Manage

The Hypocrisy and Stupidity of Gun Control Opponents We refer to that other group as the Gun Oil Circle Jerk Club. Sounds like it's right up your alley Larry.

· Reply · 6 hrs
    Manage

Larry Dittoe Once again, you don't use facts, just insults. I guess when you're on the losing side of an argument, that's all you have.

· Reply · 6 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul I used facts and insults dumb****. You're just too stupid to understand it. That's why you're a dumb****.

· Reply · 6 hrs
    Manage

The Hypocrisy and Stupidity of Gun Control Opponents Larry Dittoe just gave us the sadz all up in here. After being extra nice to him and not bouncing his sorry ass out of here, he went and reported us to the Gun Oil Circlejerk Club. LOL

· Reply · 11
    · 5 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul Awwwww snowflake dumb**** couldn't handle facts and mockery of his pathetic gun god.

· Reply · 4 hrs
    Manage

Jonathan Romans

· Reply · 11
    · 3 hrs
    Manage

Jonathan Romans Larry knows The Hatred and Sadism of Greedy Childish Adolescents? Please ask them why they have not mocked me in awhile.

· Reply · 11
    · 3 hrs
    Manage

Jonathan Romans Oh and do something new, Larry, Try and have a picture of yourself on social media where you are not fondling a gun, if you dare.

· Reply · 11
    · 3 hrs
    Manage

The Hypocrisy and Stupidity of Gun Control Opponents Loves me some gun luv profile pics.

· Reply · 11
    · 2 hrs
    Manage

Rob Kneaul The scary part is dumb**** Snowflake claims to have been assigned to nukes yet his attention to detail and inability is so horrible that he believed that this was a nutjob NRA terrorist sympathizer site.

· Reply · 42 mins

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some more of his "wit".

Rob Kneaul 2 weeks ago I'm calling for legislation to ban magazine fed or clip fed firearms with a clause requiring all firearms to be modified to be fed a single bullet at a time making it a felony to possess a firearm that is anything but single bullet at a time fed after the five year implementation period with a magazine of not more than fifteen bullets. Also make it a felony to possess hardware that makes quick feeding of magazines possible. If you need more than fifteen bullets at a time for self defense you're either an idiot or a horrible shot.

OPINION | To stop slaughter in America we must remove Republican officials - New York Daily News | outdonews.com
    OPINION | To stop slaughter in America we must remove Republican officials[h=3]By New York Daily News[/h]

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Some more of his "wit".

Rob Kneaul 2 weeks ago I'm calling for legislation to ban magazine fed or clip fed firearms with a clause requiring all firearms to be modified to be fed a single bullet at a time making it a felony to possess a firearm that is anything but single bullet at a time fed after the five year implementation period with a magazine of not more than fifteen bullets. Also make it a felony to possess hardware that makes quick feeding of magazines possible. If you need more than fifteen bullets at a time for self defense you're either an idiot or a horrible shot.

OPINION | To stop slaughter in America we must remove Republican officials - New York Daily News | outdonews.com
    OPINION | To stop slaughter in America we must remove Republican officialsBy New York Daily News

Isn't this considered advocating for gun control? Doesn't that make him a hypocrite?

Top Bottom