• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    He's stating, that if there was ONLY OC, and there was NO CC, then the bad guys would know who carried the guns.
    Therefore, they wouldn't be worried about attacking people not showing guns.

Therefore, CC will cause some worry, that they will run into someone with a gun.

Based on the follow-up message, I believe that "If only OC was legal. . ." was intended to convey "if open carry exclusively were legal and concealed carry were illegal."

As written, most of us would interpret as you did and I did.

A better phrasing using the same words would be "I open carry only were legal."

Now I get it. Thanks fellas!

JDG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    LaPorte County
    I have always felt that either concealed or open does not matter as long as you are carrying.
    Does anyone know what portion on Indiana residents have a LTCH?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is legal in Indiana.

I see news clips pretty much every day about a CC-er defending themselves. I rarely hear of someone who was OC (other than a cop). My conjecture: if a crook can't see you are able to defend yourself, they assume you cannot. Now, if more than 50% of the population CCed, I'd bet that assumption would change. With less than 10-15% of folks carrying, we have a ways to go.

You're reading way too much into what you hear. This is simply because those who carry are collectively called "concealed carriers" by the media as the practice is far more prevalent than open carry. I do agree those who open carry are far less likely to look like victims though and that many undocumented cases of not being victimized occur because people are open carrying.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have a blog where I addressed this question, but have a different outlook on it. Just because something hasn't happened, or there is no documented evidence readily available doesn't mean it hasn't, or won't.
    http://wherethebull****ends.com/open-vs-concealed-carry/

Unfortunately, I believe some people open carry because they have the “Hey look at me, I’m a gun carrying
    newreply.php
    badass” attitude

Attitude or Reason doesn't matter.
    And many of us OC, because we're tired of hiding our guns as if we are ashamed.
    I do NOT break the law.
    And I'm tired of being treated as a leper.

You also left out a dozen other reasons, many that are discussed in this thread.

OC or CC.
    Your choice.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Unfortunately, I believe some people open carry because they have the “Hey look at me, I’m a gun carrying
    newreply.php
    badass” attitude

Attitude or Reason doesn't matter.
    And many of us OC, because we're tired of hiding our guns as if we are ashamed.
    I do NOT break the law.
    And I'm tired of being treated as a leper.

You also left out a dozen other reasons, many that are discussed in this thread.

OC or CC.
    Your choice.

I have yet to encounter the OC tough-guy badass type, nor would I make that judgment on appearance alone. Nor have I ever felt I was treated like a leper while OC or CC.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have OC for many years. 80% of all of my encounters have been positive that is to say that I have had about 5 negative encounters in that time (they are documented in threads here on INGO: ) each of them turned out in my favor.

I OC in order to gender awareness, discussion, education and because it is comfortable.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have a blog where I addressed this question, but have a different outlook on it. Just because something hasn't happened, or there is no documented evidence readily available doesn't mean it hasn't, or won't.
    http://wherethebull****ends.com/open-vs-concealed-carry/

These are basically the same, old arguments against open carry that have been discussed, debated, and thoroughly debunked in the 3,300 comments preceding yours.

hopfdubois

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2017
    Dubois County
    Actually, I DID post an at-length response to Mainsail's article. Unfortunately for me, this forum logged me out before I was able to post a full point-by-point response. That's on me, as I'm new to the forum, but NOT new to carrying a weapon, having done so virtually daily since 1975.

However, if someone is going to throw at me that I didn't (logging out or otherwise) post a point-by-point debate, I WILL point out that if anyone disagreed THEY were welcome to debate.

No one has, rather they're bashing ME for not making a point-by-point, yet they do not incumber themselves with the same requisites. Sorry, that's simply hypocritical.

And before you throw out accusations, .38 Special, make sure you're aware of your position. I did NOT, in ANY thread, ANYWHERE on this forum or any other, EVER, make a post "to argue that it's a good idea to wear CCW badges".

If that was a "dead thread", I was unaware of it, as it was simply linked in the thread I was responding to, and as the link was there, I responded to that link, wanting to stay on the topic and not hijack another.

And NO, I did NOT say "anyone who carries OC should not carry a gun and have their LTCH revoked". Again, a simple case of SOME people not reading what was written.

What I DID say was that anyone who actually believes that OC'ing provides some "strong deterrent effect" is not only incorrect, but IMO deluded to the point that one must question their judgment in carrying a gun in the first place, and perhaps should have their being issued a LTCH reviewed.

Anyone here think that carrying OC makes them impervious to attack, or that "no bad guy would mess with me because they can see I'm carrying a gun!"

Really? ANYONE here believe that? Someone here thinks that gun on their hip puts an 'S' on their chest? Civilian? LEO? 'Cause that's one deluded individual there, living in La-La Land. And if that's the case, their judgment is greatly in doubt. And THOSE people should be evaluated as to whether they have the appropriate mindset to carry a gun, and be licensed to do so.

I'll get to Mainsail's "article", I promise. In the meantime, if anyone HERE would like to debate the "advantages" to OC, especially anyone staunchly anti-CC (as stated, I'm in favor of the individual's choice), I'll be happy to do so, point-by-point.

And to Joe Williams, careful with that "hatred for the Constitution and American citizen" b.s. I happened to have taken the oath to uphold the Constitution more than once, friend. And I AM an American Citizen. You? :draw:
    Old post, but I'm LOLing at this guy. Jumping into a thread and posting a couple comments with no base and no real argument at all, not providing anything to back up his comments even after being asked to, and then telling people he'll debate them. My apologies if insulting people like this is against forum rules, but what a loser.

EDIT: I've just seen that after this big talk of his he doesn't make a return to the thread, and I'm really disappointed. I wanted to see how it would play out.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Meh, don't really care about OC/CC. Though I think CC is the better way to carry. I understand for "certain" people (lol) CC isn't really option, but I just like having one more element of surprise if I should ever encounter a problem. I think OC'ers get a bad rap from the bill bad asses, OC'ing because they think it makes them look cool.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Meh, don't really care about OC/CC. Though I think CC is the better way to carry. I understand for "certain" people (lol) CC isn't really option, but I just like having one more element of surprise if I should ever encounter a problem. I think OC'ers get a bad rap from the bill bad asses, OC'ing because they think it makes them look cool.

My typical carry now is OWB retention holster concealed by an untucked shirt. It is considerably more comfortable and functional than any IWB method that I've used. I'm firmly in the "just carry" and "freedom means you're free to choose your own method of carry, for whatever reasons you want" camps. I also think that we do considerable, unnecessary damage to our own cause by castigating each other over chosen method of carry (and I think that "Billy Bad Ass" is largely a black swan).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My typical carry now is OWB retention holster concealed by an untucked shirt. It is considerably more comfortable and functional than any IWB method that I've used. I'm firmly in the "just carry" and "freedom means you're free to choose your own method of carry, for whatever reasons you want" camps. I also think that we do considerable, unnecessary damage to our own cause by castigating each other over chosen method of carry (and I think that "Billy Bad Ass" is largely a black swan).

"Billy bad asses" (definition by Kut): drop leg OC'ers, Tapout/affliction t-shirt wearers, barbed wire arm tattoo, stop light engine revving Honda, 5 inch 300lb squatters, etc, etc....

There are douchers in every community. Just because they are in your community doesn't mean you have to stick up for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Is Billy Bad Ass related to Tactical Timmy?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    "Billy bad asses" (definition by Kut): drop leg OC'ers, Tapout/affliction t-shirt wearers, barbed wire arm tattoo, stop light engine revving Honda, 5 inch 300lb squatters, etc, etc....

There are douchers in every community. Just because they are in your community doesn't mean you have to stick up for them.

I have never seen what you describe, except tattoos. Which I believe are all too prevalant these days, throwbacks to the picts.

From top to bottom of an OC activist, bald on top, short hair, buttondown collared shirt, OWB, two OWB mags, Daltek Bio Belt[SUP]®[/SUP], chain wallet, Dockers[SUP]®[/SUP], white socks, and Doc Martin[SUP]®[/SUP] shoes. Sunday, blazer, tie and nicer shoes.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Unrelated, my favorite Tapout shirt video. 2 minutes, language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkIFRTqfMkg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have never seen what you describe, except tattoos. Which I believe are all too prevalant these days, throwbacks to the picts.

From top to bottom of an OC activist, bald on top, short hair, buttondown collared shirt, OWB, two OWB mags, Daltek Bio Belt[SUP]®[/SUP], chain wallet, Dockers[SUP]®[/SUP], white socks, and Doc Martin[SUP]®[/SUP] shoes. Sunday, blazer, tie and nicer shoes.

Chain wallet? CHAIN WALLET? HOODLUM!!! A hoodlum is loose on INGO! Run away!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

each trait I was speak of individually, not combined. You've had to see these before, right?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Oh, I don't stick up for them; like everyone else: I just try to let them be. My point, though, was that such people are a pretty small minority.

Top Bottom