• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Ill be there with bells on, concealed of course :)
    Seriously though, as long as the way you carry is backed by reasoning, carry on. Every individual and locale is different and calls for a unique approach to our duty of defending ourselves, our loved ones, and those who cannot defend themselves.
    Word. #jfc

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Ill be there with bells on, concealed of course :)
    Seriously though, as long as the way you carry is backed by reasoning, carry on. Every individual and locale is different and calls for a unique approach to our duty of defending ourselves, our loved ones, and those who cannot defend themselves.

Will you have a conceal carry badge to at least let others know you are CCing?

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but I read the entire essay in the initial post. I advocate concealed carry. A few things:

1. I couldn't give a darned less what people think of the fact that I carry a gun. However, I do know that open carry will attract way more attention, be it positive or negative, than concealed carry. My goal when in public is to attract the least attention possible.

2. If you open carry you had better be using level II or higher retention holsters. Anything less is irresponsible, but that's just my opinion. A friction fit kydex or leather holster is an easy victim to a from-behind gun grab. And before you tell me you're situationally aware enough to know for 100% certain when someone is or is not sneaking up on your 6, I would argue that you aren't, plain and simple. Your head would have to be on a 360 degree swivel at 60 rpm for that to be the case. And good luck going anywhere where you'll be standing in a line of people waiting for something without looking like a paranoid schizophrenic. I've never seen an OC'r with a real retention holster besides a Serpa, which is a bad choice (re: Tex Grebner). My concealed draw (from appendix carry) is faster than my level II retention draw. I wouldn't be one bit behind the curve.

3. I don't buy into the deterrent argument, especially nowadays. With the heinous crimes committed on the regular these days, my money isn't on deterrence. If an attacker's primary objective is the biggest body count he can create, your openly carried weapon probably won't even be a blip on his radar.

4. There are lots of scenarios where it would be advantageous to you for a bad guy not to know immediately that you are armed. Think bank robbery (I go into banks exponetionally more often than 7-11's). The ability to step aside and act like all the other sheep until the bad guy turns his back (see my previous argument about the myth of 100% situational awareness) could be a key tactical advantage. In my neck of the woods, I believe that scenario is more likely than a random mugging where OC MAY deter the bad guy. With OC you have only one option, which is everybody knowing you're armed, whether that's what's best in the moment or not. With CC, you have the choice to appear unarmed until you decide it's time.

i am going to point out that I am, first and foremost, a second amendment supporter to the bone. I may disagree with OC, but I'll fight to the death for your right to do it if that's what you want. Secondly, my attitude towards OC is biased because of my own personal encounters with it. I rarely (I'm talking 1 out of 10) see anyone doing it in a way that looks secure to the point where it would defeat a gun grab, which is the biggest concern I have about OC. Most times I see guys with $10 Uncle Mikes velcro holsters. It's also not uncommon to see the old "jeans tucked into cowboy boots with kel-tec P3AT clipped to the OUTSIDE of a pants pocket like a cell phone". That infuriates me. But like I said, it's their right to do so. I just think if you're going to do it, steps should be taken to keep your weapon out of the hands of the bad guys.

If I were to ever open carry, it would be with a rifle. If everybody's got to know I'm armed, at least I'll be ARMED. That's my tongue in cheek argument to the OC contention that deterring crime is more important than the sheep's comfort levels and "not caring what anybody else thinks". Why aren't OC guys all carrying rifles then? A rifle can be easily slung to free up your hands so that you can take care of your errands. It's not illegal to do so...maybe it's got something to do with...not alarming the general public? Maybe OC advocates care about alarming the public more than they know they do.

I'm getting saucy for only my 20th post, I know lol.
    Have to agree with pretty much all of this, and I would add that open carry seems more about intimidation than anything else.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Have to agree with pretty much all of this, and I would add that open carry seems more about intimidation than anything else.

It "seems" that way.

Cause I know quite a few, myself included, people that OC. And they don't seem to be trying to intimidate.

You do know anti-gunners say the same thing about ANYBODY carrying a gun right?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I would add that [STRIKE]open[/STRIKE] concealed carry seems more about [STRIKE]intimidation[/STRIKE] shame, guilt, and insecurity than anything else.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Well, opinions are like...

Stick around a while and you may get a better understanding of other points of view. OH! did you read any of the thread or just decide to post your opinion?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

This is called psychological projection.

There is absolutely nothing intimidating about a holstered firearm on someone's hip.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville

There is absolutely nothing intimidating about a holstered firearm on someone's hip.
    That's just ridiculous. Of course it is. But if it's easier to just insist that it isn't, that's fine. The fact that even some people disagree with you should show you that at least some people find firearms to be a threat.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As I said, many anti-gunners feel concealed handguns are threatening.

Do you feel uncomfortable using the argument of people that wish to disarm you?

And some people feel threatened, or intimidated, by people of different races.
    Are you saying that people of different races should be careful then, because of that reason?

I've met a LOT of the people in this thread. Not sure how most of them fit into the, "they're OCing to be intimidating" category.

And you don't have to read the whole thread.
    But the first dozen pages might help. Instead of rehashing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's just ridiculous. Of course it is. But if it's easier to just insist that it isn't, that's fine. The fact that even some people disagree with you should show you that at least some people find firearms to be a threat.

And now we can add denial to the menu!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom