• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Billy bad asses" (definition by Kut): drop leg OC'ers, Tapout/affliction t-shirt wearers, barbed wire arm tattoo, stop light engine revving Honda, 5 inch 300lb squatters, etc, etc....

There are douchers in every community. Just because they are in your community doesn't mean you have to stick up for them.

I went the exact opposite direction - wool pants, cuff links and tie with a Bianchi leather holster.

Everyone probably thinks I'm a detective.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Meh, don't really care about OC/CC. Though I think CC is the better way to carry. I understand for "certain" people (lol) CC isn't really option, but I just like having one more element of surprise if I should ever encounter a problem. I think OC'ers get a bad rap from the bill bad asses, OC'ing because they think it makes them look cool.
    Element of surprise is an offensive situation, not defensive. ;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    LOL. I had a friend talk me into going to a disco to pick up girls once. It lasted all of 5 minutes, I had to get out of there.

I did however once own a Kiana shirt once. And when I was a toddler I liked slips.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    LOL. I had a friend talk me into going to a disco to pick up girls once. It lasted all of 5 minutes, I had to get out of there.

I did however once own a Kiana shirt once. And when I was a toddler I liked slips.

Some guys got me to go to a "hot club" in San Jose with them back in 1989 or so (I was about 24 at the time). Other than a small pack of cougars (or what would come to be known as cougars today) eyeing me, it was not a successful venture. The mid 20s version of me was ignorant of the inherent value of cougars to society. Pride and hope can cause one to miss opportunities!

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    What's the recent talk have to talk about the thread title? :confused:

Yeah, I noticed some drift a couple days ago. I'm a big fan of 'discreet' carry myself. It's very hard to quantify things like deterrent factor of OC and whether or not OC makes you a target. There's just no reliable data.

Your daily carry should be comfortable, or you won't carry - and accessible, or it won't do you any good.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, I noticed some drift a couple days ago. I'm a big fan of 'discreet' carry myself. It's very hard to quantify things like deterrent factor of OC and whether or not OC makes you a target. There's just no reliable data.

Your daily carry should be comfortable, or you won't carry - and accessible, or it won't do you any good.

I'm with you, we often see guys that CC stop crimes in progress, because the bad guys doesn't recognize them as a potential threat. I can not recall a guy OC doing the same. But then again, there's an argument to be made that the visibility of the weapon by an OC'er dissuaded the criminal act to begin with.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm with you, we often see guys that CC stop crimes in progress, because the bad guys doesn't recognize them as a potential threat. I can not recall a guy OC doing the same. But then again, there's an argument to be made that the visibility of the weapon by an OC'er dissuaded the criminal act to begin with.
    These days people seem to see anything on a belt as a phone. It still amazes me how few people realize I have a gun on my hip when I am out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    These days people seem to see anything on a belt as a phone. It still amazes me how few people realize I have a gun on my hip when I am out.

yup.
    I actually had a lady at the American Legion grab the holster loop, and say "what's this?".
    So, this guy with a gravely voice said, "you're playing with his gun".
    Took her a second to understand.
    (During fundraisers I CC instead of OC).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Reliable data? Probably not. But, there certainly are anecdotal evidence that criminals are deterred by CC; and there are empirical data that criminals fear armed victims - even more than they fear the police.

Yes: just carry. Carry however you're most comfortable carrying.

So, I would ask: why do think that is?

Either OCers are present/targeted for such crimes as often as OCers, or less often than OCers. Would it make sense that OCers are present/targeted as often, and yet use their firearms in self-defense to stop said crimes less often than CCers? Or would it make more sense that OCers are present/targeted less often than CCers?

The latter makes more sense to me, and there are at least two causes: one, that OCers simply exist in far fewer numbers; and two, that OC is a deterrent, and therefore OCers do not find themselves having to stop a crime that is never attempted in the first place.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    yup.
    I actually had a lady at the American Legion grab the holster loop, and say "what's this?".
    So, this guy with a gravely voice said, "you're playing with his gun".
    Took her a second to understand.
    (During fundraisers I CC instead of OC).

The bigger question there is: why do people think that it is acceptable to approach a random stranger and start yanking at things on that stranger's belt - whether it's a gun, or a phone, or a pager (do those even still exist?), or whatever?

Top Bottom