• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Only way I can OC here in FL is if I'm hunting or fishing...

Next best thing, until the nonsense gets straightened out:

lawfully_concealing_a_firearm_t_shirt-r6a4ada61094643b3be1634598c46f9d7_jg4de_324.jpg

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Haha, TOO FUNNY! If I lived in Florida I would SO wear that t-shirt AND carry a fishing pole. Maybe one of those Popiel Pocket Fisherman rigs, OC on my belt. I wonder if anyone prints t-shirts with guns poking up out of the waistband. Now THAT would be interesting down there.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm too self-conscious to open carry. And I'd prefer a "bad guy" didn't know I was armed until absolutely necessary.

Open carry doesn't have to just be about you. Sometimes, you might not get the chance to let the bad guy know you were armed.

He might just find out when he retrieves it from your body.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm too self-conscious to open carry. And I'd prefer a "bad guy" didn't know I was armed until absolutely necessary.

[Insert here response given to this assertion approximately two dozen times already in this thread]

Bad guys (where "bad guys" = typical, common criminals) don't like armed resistance. Bad guys tend to look for softer targets/easier marks.

You win 100% of the gunfights you never have to face. Concealed carry yields a 0% deterrence rate.

STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana
    [Insert here response given to this assertion approximately two dozen times already in this thread]

Bad guys (where "bad guys" = typical, common criminals) don't like armed resistance. Bad guys tend to look for softer targets/easier marks.

You win 100% of the gunfights you never have to face. Concealed carry yields a 0% deterrence rate.

If only OC was legal, criminals would know for sure who was armed and who was not (besides other criminals). Knowledge of legal CC keeps the criminals guessing and does have at least some deterrent effect.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If only OC was legal, criminals would know for sure who was armed and who was not (besides other criminals). Knowledge of legal CC keeps the criminals guessing and does have at least some deterrent effect.

Open carry is perfectly legal in Indiana. The state issued license is a "license to carry a handgun." It is silent on the method by which one must carry. Hence, open carry is completely acceptable.

Now if you are referencing permitless open carry, I'm all for that too. Unfortunately, to date, state legislators have not agreed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is legal in Indiana.

I see news clips pretty much every day about a CC-er defending themselves. I rarely hear of someone who was OC (other than a cop). My conjecture: if a crook can't see you are able to defend yourself, they assume you cannot. Now, if more than 50% of the population CCed, I'd bet that assumption would change. With less than 10-15% of folks carrying, we have a ways to go.

STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Open carry is perfectly legal in Indiana. The state issued license is a "license to carry a handgun." It is silent on the method by which one must carry. Hence, open carry is completely acceptable.

Now if you are referencing permitless open carry, I'm all for that too. Unfortunately, to date, state legislators have not agreed.

Yes, I know both OC/CC is legal. You did not understand my post.

It is legal in Indiana.

I see news clips pretty much every day about a CC-er defending themselves. I rarely hear of someone who was OC (other than a cop). My conjecture: if a crook can't see you are able to defend yourself, they assume you cannot. Now, if more than 50% of the population CCed, I'd bet that assumption would change. With less than 10-15% of folks carrying, we have a ways to go.

The “IF” was hypothetical to state a point.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He's stating, that if there was ONLY OC, and there was NO CC, then the bad guys would know who carried the guns.
    Therefore, they wouldn't be worried about attacking people not showing guns.

Therefore, CC will cause some worry, that they will run into someone with a gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :dunno: I'm not tracking. Can anyone help me out?

Based on the follow-up message, I believe that "If only OC was legal. . ." was intended to convey "if open carry exclusively were legal and concealed carry were illegal."

As written, most of us would interpret as you did and I did.

A better phrasing using the same words would be "I open carry only were legal."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Licensed (and permit-less) carry by law-abiding citizens does provide a general deterrence - in that would-be criminals generally move away from areas (i.e. counties, municipalities) where such carry is lawful, and into areas where such carry is not lawful (or not as readily practiced). This behavior is well-described by John Lott in More Guns, Less Crime.

But where criminals do exist, and do attempt to commit crime, the deterrence effect of general knowledge of carry by law-abiding citizens has been exhausted. Concealed carry simply affords no specific deterrence to a would-be criminal who has chosen a place and time to attempt to commit a crime.

Open carry, by contrast, has been demonstrated to provide some non-zero value of specific deterrence in such circumstances. What that value is, precisely, is certainly up for argument. But in all cases, that value is greater than the known, zero value for concealed carry.

Top Bottom