• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Not as many times as it is a big part of confrontation. But like I said, if you're going to do it, good for you.

Do you have numbers to back that up? Cuz I read an FBI report on here somewhere where they questioned criminals and the majority of them said if they saw a person with a gun they would turn around and do their dirty business elsewhere.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Personal experience working armed security in broward county florida. walked into a convience store at 2am with a car parked right in front of the store. two homeys in the car one in the store. guy in the store bought one cigar walked out to car put on a hoodie. i walked up to door of store and stood there in full armed uniform. hoodie homey turned around when he saw me got in car and left with his bros. pretty sure they were going to hit the place until they saw me.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    Do you have numbers to back that up? Cuz I read an FBI report on here somewhere where they questioned criminals and the majority of them said if they saw a person with a gun they would turn around and do their dirty business elsewhere.
    How many times does intimidating a dirt bag typically work? Look at the inner city violence. You can get shot just for telling a guy their momma is fat haha. I used to live in Columbus and would have to drive through the bad part of town to get to my local gun store. I would never OC there simply because I don't want to stick out in the crowd. Conceal and blend in. That's just my way.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    Personal experience working armed security in broward county florida. walked into a convience store at 2am with a car parked right in front of the store. two homeys in the car one in the store. guy in the store bought one cigar walked out to car put on a hoodie. i walked up to door of store and stood there in full armed uniform. hoodie homey turned around when he saw me got in car and left with his bros. pretty sure they were going to hit the place until they saw me.
    You guys have some good-looking female officers in Broward county :)

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Having open carried and cc in different states. I have come to the personal decision that cc is really the best way for a civilian. Although I have no problem with people who open carry. I firmly believe most criminals are chicken ****s and if they see a weapon they will go elsewhere.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Having open carried and cc in different states. I have come to the personal decision that cc is really the best way for a civilian. Although I have no problem with people who open carry. I firmly believe most criminals are chicken ****s and if they see a weapon they will go elsewhere.

Why do you think cc is best for "civilians"?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

That is one of the reasons I choose to OC the majority of the time. Could it make me a target by a hardened criminal or crazy? Yup. However, I believe those odds are very miniscule in relation to the benefits.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Why do you think cc is best for "civilians"?
    Nothing personal meant to anyone, but. I think carrying open is just a way of saying, Look at me, I'm a Bad Ass and carry a gun. I don't know. Highly debated subject. Why do some choose to open carry as opposed to concealing? Honestly.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Nothing personal meant to anyone, but. I think carrying open is just a way of saying, Look at me, I'm a Bad Ass and carry a gun. I don't know. Highly debated subject. Why do some choose to open carry as opposed to concealing? Honestly.

You said it yourself, most criminals are chicken****s and will run away if they see a gun. This has been confirmed by an FBI study and personal experience.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not as many times as it is a big part of confrontation.
    I think you're pulling that outta your ass.

I've OCd for years, as has my husband. We've never been the cause of a confrontation but we do know of two specific incidents where the bad guy's knowledge of the firearm (either through OC or in the other circumstance behavior that indicated he was reaching for it) changed the bad guy's mind. So....

Deterrence: 2
    Confrontation: 0

Keep in mind any confrontation over an OC'ed firearm is usually initiated by someone other than the person carrying. So is it my fault is someone can't mind his own business and thinks I want to listen to him tell me how to live my life? I don't think so.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Because I don't think their hearts are in the right place. Yes they are the minority, but that's all the media will show. They don't show men and women OCing handguns with their children peacefully shopping. No, they choose to show the idiots holding their ARs at low-ready and that does not reflect responsible carry. It's not a fashion accessory, it's a tool.

I'm going to keep posting this link until I'm blue in the face because I'm sick and tired of hearing about people OCing long guns at "low ready". LOW READY MEANS SHOULDERED, DAMNIT. Read this:

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Rifle Shooting Positions: Ready Positions

If I walk into the local grocery store with my Tavor at low ready I fully expect to be shot (or at least shot at). If it's hanging from a sling and I'm not touching it (analogous to a holstered pistol) I expect my Tavor to be one hell of a great conversation starter, no more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Or, OC is a way of saying, it's more comfortable, and I'm tired of hiding things as if I were an 8 year old guilty of doing something wrong.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

How about this: "Nothing personal but I think public expression is just a way of showing everyone how loud you are and what a big mouth you have. Why people don't just keep their mouths shut is beyond me. Honestly".

Maybe you don't know after all. But we're here to learn.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

What does kissing someone on public say? Look at me, someone is willing to kiss me in front of people

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Or, OC is a way of saying, it's more comfortable, and I'm tired of hiding things as if I were an 8 year old guilty of doing something wrong.

Rep to you sir. :yesway:

Why do I OC? because it is the most comfortable way to carry, absolutely no other reason needed. I'm not going out of my way to hide it, or increase my discomfort, no reason to. That doesn't mean my shirt won't occasionally find it's way over either though, I'm not going to fiddle with my gun or shirt every minute.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    I think you're pulling that outta your ass.

I've OCd for years, as has my husband. We've never been the cause of a confrontation but we do know of two specific incidents where the bad guy's knowledge of the firearm (either through OC or in the other circumstance behavior that indicated he was reaching for it) changed the bad guy's mind. So....

Deterrence: 2
    Confrontation: 0

Keep in mind any confrontation over an OC'ed firearm is usually initiated by someone other than the person carrying. So is it my fault is someone can't mind his own business and thinks I want to listen to him tell me how to live my life? I don't think so.
    And you're free to think whatever you like :)

Top Bottom