• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can't recall ever having a single problem OCing (with LEO or anyone else for that matter). That having been said, I dress how I feel each day and if it ends up covered or not, so be it.

Just carry on however you like! This is Indiana, after all.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    like a lot of things, just cuz you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Are you talking about concealing, or something else? ;)

Open carry tends to draw a lot of attention, not all of it positive.

Did you read that somewhere or have you experienced it? What sort of attention did you draw?

I don't draw much "attention" when carrying openly, but the rare gun related interactions are generally quite positive.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I don't draw much "attention" when carrying openly, but the rare gun related interactions are generally quite positive.

I don't think many people would approach you if it was negative. Where I work some customers may OC and almost always I get a comment from another customer or a coworker that says "you see that guy? He has a gun on his hip." I just say in so many words "and? Your point?"

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I had an interesting interaction at Wally World this morning. I was buying ammo and a guy at the counter was waiting on me to finish up. He was looking for turkey loads and we were helping the clerk to find some #4 shot (none to be found, of course; sent him to Dunham's).

I digress.

He mentioned my sidearm being outside my vest, in the open air, if you will. Wanted to know if I was an officer. Told him "no" and he said a SBPD officer told him he had to conceal. He added he had a LTCH but it had to be concealed. I filled him in on the law and cautioned him that some LEO's don't fully understand the laws. Gave him the duct tape to forehead line. He sounded like he would join us on the dark side.

My takeaway from this interaction, and one that may seem relatively innocuous, was the fact that if I was concealing, he would have just assumed the Heckler's Veto was law. I suggested INGO and handgunlaw.us.

Nothing earth shattering. Just a brief, friendly, 2 minute conversation that may have helped a LTCH holder to look into the laws regarding carrying in Indiana, and then go forth and spread the word.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I had an interesting interaction at Wally World this morning. I was buying ammo and a guy at the counter was waiting on me to finish up. He was looking for turkey loads and we were helping the clerk to find some #4 shot (none to be found, of course; sent him to Dunham's).

I digress.

He mentioned my sidearm being outside my vest, in the open air, if you will. Wanted to know if I was an officer. Told him "no" and he said a SBPD officer told him he had to conceal. He added he had a LTCH but it had to be concealed. I filled him in on the law and cautioned him that some LEO's don't fully understand the laws. Gave him the duct tape to forehead line. He sounded like he would join us on the dark side.

My takeaway from this interaction, and one that may seem relatively innocuous, was the fact that if I was concealing, he would have just assumed the Heckler's Veto was law. I suggested INGO and handgunlaw.us.

Nothing earth shattering. Just a brief, friendly, 2 minute conversation that may have helped a LTCH holder to look into the laws regarding carrying in Indiana, and then go forth and spread the word.

This is why OC rocks for those that can handle communicating with strangers. Education.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis

I digress.

Amen. As Bunny said, this is a great reason for OCing. Good job, man!

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    It is funny to me that this thread still goes on.... I don't keep up with it. Has anyone who once thought OC Activism was a good idea actually admitted that it is foolish and a fail for The RKBA Movement? I like to think so.

-RJP

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is funny to me that this thread still goes on.... I don't keep up with it. Has anyone who once thought OC Activism was a good idea actually admitted that it is foolish and a fail for The RKBA Movement? I like to think so.

-RJP

I OC every day. Not as an activist. I Just Carry.

Nobody runs screaming.
    Nobody lectures.
    We have NOT lost the right to carry because of my carry choice.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been OCing since the weather broke this spring and the only negative experience I have had was seeing a young couple pick their toddler up and move him to the other side of their table when I entered Five Guys in Brownsburg (but it was okay if he stood up in his chair, go figure...). No negative comments, only positive conversations and several opportunities to educate the folks.

OC done right is a great conversation starter.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

-RJP

Funny thing Rob, I haven't seen any pieces written by you that are as well thought out about concealed carry (or any of your interviews for that matter). Maybe you should try harder. I would think someone with your years of expertise can come up with something better than I have seen.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

-RJP

You never fare well attempting to actually debate on this subject and generally come across as just another smarmy CC-only elitist when you try to disparage people who carry differently than you.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8253-rob-pincus-appropriate-open-carry-2.html

I seriously doubt you've gotten any better at it in the last year (judging by the foolishness of your post above), but you're welcome to surprise me.

Please do attempt to refute some of the real OC reasoning and defenses rather than creating or belaboring the usual straw man arguments. Thanks.

Top Bottom