• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I forgot to respond to the final question in this post:

...Yes it's my constitutional right to open carry with a permit but is it really worth all the hassle?

It is your right to carry, the Constitution does not provide any authority to the government it created to infringe upon that right, it further specifies that the right may not be infringed, yet various permit processes and other infringements have occurred despite that glaring restriction.

Is it really worth "all the hassle" to exercise a right, even a right infringed? You bet it is. Many sacrificed their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to secure those rights for us.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I forgot to respond to the final question in this post:

It is your right to carry, the Constitution does not provide any authority to the government it created to infringe upon that right, it further specifies that the right may not be infringed, yet various permit processes and other infringements have occurred despite that glaring restriction.

Is it really worth "all the hassle" to exercise a right, even a right infringed? You bet it is. Many sacrificed their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to secure those rights for us.

This is how I feel about OC. I want to go about my business without drama just like everybody else. But someday we might not be allowed to OC. I'd miss it. I admit it, I CC most of the time. But the more I learn from INGO, the more I think I should, if nothing else, because I still can.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I read ATM's essay on the first page from beginning to end and wanted to thank him for such a well written piece. Also loved that he cited the Five Stages of Violent Crime theory.

For the whopping three months that I've carried, it has been CC. This has been more for functional reasons rather than philosophical. After reading through ATM's post, especially, my interest in OC has been renewed. The points which I've fallen for in the past (You'll be first target, Surprise) were artfully laid bare. I will probably look into getting an OC holster in the future, though I will still get a majority of CC use out of my current holster for aforementioned functional reasons.

Thanks again! I do hope to encourage others to review ATM's argument carefully and respond, at the very least, to the logical arguments presented.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I read ATM's essay on the first page from beginning to end and wanted to thank him for such a well written piece. Also loved that he cited the Five Stages of Violent Crime theory.

For the whopping three months that I've carried, it has been CC. This has been more for functional reasons rather than philosophical. After reading through ATM's post, especially, my interest in OC has been renewed. The points which I've fallen for in the past (You'll be first target, Surprise) were artfully laid bare. I will probably look into getting an OC holster in the future, though I will still get a majority of CC use out of my current holster for aforementioned functional reasons.

Thanks again! I do hope to encourage others to review ATM's argument carefully and respond, at the very least, to the logical arguments presented.
    I've been too generous with rep today. But some coming your way when it recharges.

And welcome to INGO.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

I joined INGO in June of 2012. I had some preconceived notions about OC. ATM set me straight. I give him 95% of the credit. The other 5% I attribute to getting sick and tired of wearing an extra layer of clothing in hot weather just to conceal. I've since become an avid OCer! :ingo:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sirindu, I can't take credit for the essay in the OP, but I do love to discuss (yes, even argue) the topic.

I appreciate that you considered the subject with an open mind and expanded your own logical reasoning and options. Again, welcome to INGO. :yesway:

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I joined INGO in June of 2012. I had some preconceived notions about OC. ATM set me straight. I give him 95% of the credit. The other 5% I attribute to getting sick and tired of wearing an extra layer of clothing in hot weather just to conceal. I've since become an avid OCer! :ingo:

A valid point. We'll see how long I last once it finally warms up around here. ;)

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

Sirindu, I can't take credit for the essay in the OP, but I do love to discuss (yes, even argue) the topic.

I appreciate that you considered the subject with an open mind and expanded your own logical reasoning and options. Again, welcome to INGO.
    yesway.gif

Haha! You know what, I remember that now but by the time I'd finished the essay I'd forgotten that you were not the author. Many thanks, all the same. =)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I carry a gun.

I don't OC to 'flaunt my rights', I don't CC because I'm 'afraid to flaunt my rights'.

There are times when OC is appropriate, and inappropriate. There are times when CC is appropriate, and inappropriate.

I am wise enough to know the difference. I have to be, because...

I carry a gun.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I carry a gun.

I don't OC to 'flaunt my rights', I don't CC because I'm 'afraid to flaunt my rights'.

There are times when OC is appropriate, and inappropriate. There are times when CC is appropriate, and inappropriate.

I am wise enough to know the difference. I have to be, because...

I carry a gun.
    So please educate me. What is a inappropriate time to OC and CC.

Top Bottom