• Status
    Not open for further replies.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    They are predicting 37 degrees here on Saturday. There is a lot of snow to melt folks. If you have a sump pump you better check it.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Everyone should have one. I'm lucky mine is only 1 mi. away. :rockwoot:(I can stumble home if need be, but I usually know enough people in there I can catch a ride home with someone if it comes down to it)
    Yes, everyone should have one, sorta like "Cheers".
    I do my drinking right here at home. Ain't worth it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yes, everyone should have one, sorta like "Cheers".
    I do my drinking right here at home. Ain't worth it.

Yeah, if I get a little over the limit I have other ways to get home rather than drive, even if it is only 1 mi., but those occasions are few and far between...usually I drive and let my wife drink

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If we go with the wood burning stove it'll likely be in the living room - we have plenty of room for it [it's a big room]. To be honest I kind of like the way it looks in the neighbors house - at first I thought it was odd but the more I looked at it the more I liked the simplicity.

Thought about putting one in the basement instead since the heat will rise and keeping a regular fireplace in the livingroom or perhaps converting the livingroom to natural gas... Main reason I'm thinking this is the wood stove would primarily be for emergencies and the basement holds heat really well compared to the rest of the house + heat rises.

The wood isn't too expensive but - that said - I do have a very expensive Stihl chainsaw that needs used... I could always offer to help people trim/cut down trees and bring the resulting wood back as 'payment'. Not only will I get to use my chainsaw, I'll get to burn a ton of calories, and I'll get free firewood - win win win in my book.

Hoping to convert the house over to gas in the spring and get the standby genset - so if the power does go out so long as gas is still flowing we'll still be able to heat the whole house pretty efficiently but, that said, I think I still want a wood burning stove :).

Our main wood stove is in the basement because we have a walk out basement and the mess stays down here from bringing in the wood to burn. I prefer not to use the one in the living room if I don't have to cause the firewood often comes in with dirt, bugs, etc. Much easier to sweep the concrete basement floor than messing with the hardwood floors, especially if there is any snow on the wood that then melts. Our friends picked up a Vermont Castings Resolute (porcelain coated) on Craigslist for $100 last year. That was a GREAT deal. Lots of folks sell them when they get tired of dealing with the mess, etc. You also want to make sure your insurance isn't going to ding you for putting it in (or drop you since some don't care for woodstoves). Since you already have a fireplace, you should be okay but good to check into it. They had to inspect ours.

Just make sure you get a good airtight stove that is going to burn well and use hard wood that isn't going to creosote up the chimney. We clean our chimney at least once a year so we don't have to worry about improper drafting or chimney fires.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom