• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We heat our whole house with two woodstove. Ours aren't he porcelain coated but are both Vermont Castings airtight stoves. We have a two-flue chiminey that was built just for the stoves so they have separate flues. The big stove in the basement is at the base of the stairs and the other in the living room is right above it. They radiate heat and it goes up the stairway to heat the main and upper levels. We have a fan on the basement stove to circulate the heat. We use a LOT of firewood but have tons of it here so it is just a matter of cutting and splitting early in the spring/summer so it dries by winter. If we had to buy the wood, it wouldn't be worth it. It is nice to have heat though when the power goes out and a place to heat things up to eat.
    If we go with the wood burning stove it'll likely be in the living room - we have plenty of room for it [it's a big room]. To be honest I kind of like the way it looks in the neighbors house - at first I thought it was odd but the more I looked at it the more I liked the simplicity.

Thought about putting one in the basement instead since the heat will rise and keeping a regular fireplace in the livingroom or perhaps converting the livingroom to natural gas... Main reason I'm thinking this is the wood stove would primarily be for emergencies and the basement holds heat really well compared to the rest of the house + heat rises.

The wood isn't too expensive but - that said - I do have a very expensive Stihl chainsaw that needs used... I could always offer to help people trim/cut down trees and bring the resulting wood back as 'payment'. Not only will I get to use my chainsaw, I'll get to burn a ton of calories, and I'll get free firewood - win win win in my book.

Hoping to convert the house over to gas in the spring and get the standby genset - so if the power does go out so long as gas is still flowing we'll still be able to heat the whole house pretty efficiently but, that said, I think I still want a wood burning stove :).

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife could have worked today. We decided it wasn't worth it. It was 14 below when she was supposed to leave. She's worth a whole lot more than a paycheck and so are you.

I know it's all for the best but we found out last night that the other half of us is getting his hours cut so now of course I'm worried about money.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Good afternoon! Just got back from taking more senior citizens to drug store and get pizzas! I'm closer to buying my way into heaven!:rockwoot:now if I can just save a baby from a burning building, I'm IN!! Hope ya'll keeping warm!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I know it's all for the best but we found out last night that the other half of us is getting his hours cut so now of course I'm worried about money.

It doesn't matter how much you already have, everyone is still worried about money in this economy. It may not help anything, but you are far from alone in that. You're warm and safe. I honestly believe there are far too many people that fail to appreciate that in conditions like this. They just don't realize how quickly things can go bad...until they do.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It doesn't matter how much you already have, everyone is still worried about money in this economy. It may not help anything, but you are far from alone in that. You're warm and safe. I honestly believe there are far too many people that fail to appreciate that in conditions like this. They just don't realize how quickly things can go bad...until they do.

Oh we know. Some years ago before the girls were born we were too poor to get the gas turned on. That winter was awful cold. Nothing like this but still not something I want to repeat!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom