• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hello Mike, CM, Caleb, be safe out there.

Back...46 was mostly clear, still some ice on road though. Nothing a little defensive driving and taking it easy can't fix. There was some ******* in a cherokee passed a whole long line of cars 3 cars at a time. He's a danger to the road and anybody on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back...46 was mostly clear, still some ice on road though. Nothing a little defensive driving and taking it easy can't fix. There was some ******* in a cherokee passed a whole long line of cars 3 cars at a time. He's a danger to the road and anybody on it.

Had to get to the liquor store and the dope man....gotta go.......:dunno:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Don't you drive a Cherokee?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I was already on vacation for 2 weeks before this started. I got an unscheduled extension! I have to use vacation days too though if I want to get paid for the snow days. Good thing I still have some in reserve.

Yeah, same here. I got yelled at back in November for having too many hours banked. Been able to burn some up recently.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Mike, I'd say ya'll could come over here, we still have heat, but it's a rather far trip from where you are. Good luck keeping warm!
    The neighbors to our right as you face our house have probably a dump-truck worth of fire wood they had delivered last week in their back yard - they said we could take as much as we needed so we're doing OK on that front. We did also find, via Craigslist, a local business that sells fire wood that's giving us a truck load [pickup truck] for free due to the weather and not having heat - we offered to pay for it but they declined. I can't complain too much I guess. Trying not to use too much of our neighbor's as they need it too [although I think we'd have to be out of power for a couple of weeks for them to even come close to running through half of what they have]... Their wood burning stove is SO much more efficient than our un-vented fireplace.

The neighbors that are letting us use some wood until we get that load home - they replaced their fireplace with a porcelain coated wood burning stove. The exhaust for it goes up their original chimney which was re-done for the purpose... Since it sits out in the room and radiates heat from all sides it's keeping their house a nice 70~75 degrees [almost the whole house] even though it's only in their living room... Since we were wanting to have our fireplace redone anyways I'm seriously considering getting a wood burning stove.

Not only will it better heat the house if we need it - but it will give us something to cook on top of if you don't mind being really hot while you do it :).

All of that said - as soon as the gas company will come out and run gas to the house I'm thinking about getting a natural gas whole-house generator. We'll still have the portable for 'just in case' like say the gas is off for whatever reason as is the power.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I only get 5 vacation days a year, and those from last year were used for my son and this years are scheduled already... It's going to be an empty fridge week... On one hand yeah, I'm ready to get out of this house, on the other this is a pretty stress free existence right here:D

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    We didn't get very much snow, but the roads are still ice covered. I'll bet our local school calls tomorrow too. It's just too dangerous to travel over 20mph here and I have trouble seeing the school bus get around the hilly terrain.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'd have gotten bored a week ago if I were you :)

Ha!

How much snow did you guys get out your way?
    I've got a solid 2' in the backyard, I'm sure a lot blew in but it's still there so I'm counting it, probably 18" with both snows on the ground, the end of my drive was 3' deep from the wind and plows!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The neighbors to our right as you face our house have probably a dump-truck worth of fire wood they had delivered last week in their back yard - they said we could take as much as we needed so we're doing OK on that front. We did also find, via Craigslist, a local business that sells fire wood that's giving us a truck load [pickup truck] for free due to the weather and not having heat - we offered to pay for it but they declined. I can't complain too much I guess. Trying not to use too much of our neighbor's as they need it too [although I think we'd have to be out of power for a couple of weeks for them to even come close to running through half of what they have]... Their wood burning stove is SO much more efficient than our un-vented fireplace.

The neighbors that are letting us use some wood until we get that load home - they replaced their fireplace with a porcelain coated wood burning stove. The exhaust for it goes up their original chimney which was re-done for the purpose... Since it sits out in the room and radiates heat from all sides it's keeping their house a nice 70~75 degrees [almost the whole house] even though it's only in their living room... Since we were wanting to have our fireplace redone anyways I'm seriously considering getting a wood burning stove.

Not only will it better heat the house if we need it - but it will give us something to cook on top of if you don't mind being really hot while you do it :).

All of that said - as soon as the gas company will come out and run gas to the house I'm thinking about getting a natural gas whole-house generator. We'll still have the portable for 'just in case' like say the gas is off for whatever reason as is the power.

We heat our whole house with two woodstove. Ours aren't he porcelain coated but are both Vermont Castings airtight stoves. We have a two-flue chiminey that was built just for the stoves so they have separate flues. The big stove in the basement is at the base of the stairs and the other in the living room is right above it. They radiate heat and it goes up the stairway to heat the main and upper levels. We have a fan on the basement stove to circulate the heat. We use a LOT of firewood but have tons of it here so it is just a matter of cutting and splitting early in the spring/summer so it dries by winter. If we had to buy the wood, it wouldn't be worth it. It is nice to have heat though when the power goes out and a place to heat things up to eat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom