• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HotPocket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    With Daddy
    Really? I see you at almost every FNS and I’ve never seen you shoot anything. ;)

I love to shoot everything too... I was just surprised at how much fun Long Range shooting is.

That's just to see you guys & shoot the :poop:
    All that beeping drives me :nuts:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    :rockwoot:

My advice...

START SMALL...

It’s gonna add up FAST. Be prepared to spend a LOT on glass.

I’m sure you know this stuff, but I jumped in knowing nothing about it and I’ve learned a ton in the last 6 months when it comes to distance shooting.

I think I have about $1000 in my .308 I'm running millet glass, it's great for the money. other than that it's just a B&C stock and harris bi-pod.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Hi there Mrs. G! We're talkin' about long range rifles. Got any? :D

ummm me personally, no

the hubby has a bad ass Remington 700. has an AICS stock. Matched chamber, muzzle cut and re-crowned and threaded for the SAS suppressor mount, extra heavy GD tub, extra heavy recoil lug, prototech bolt handle installed, badger 40MO base, trigger tuned by prototech (Larry Hoskins and all work done by him) and a big fancy Leupold on top. He won't tell me how much he has in it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've also recently rekindled my lust for a long-range bolt gun.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...amily_heirloom_story_and_pictures_inside.html

Like Cru, I've dabbled in several other firearm disciplines, and have now found great satisfaction in hits at distance (even intermediate distance). Using .223 is even "cheap", as you can spend an couple hours shooting just 20-40 rounds.

I have no current plans to build a bolt gun, as I'd want something uber nice with high quality glass, and the funds just aren't there for it. Plus, my typical max shooting distance is 200 yards on the home range. If I went .308 I'd have to find a place to really stretch it out. I think I'm gonna stick with my heirloom rifle in its current configuration and work on my skillz for a while first. Then maybe someday. . . .

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I see, you tempt us with an SBR... maybe we just need to post tons of Pics and AARs with our bolt guns

:D

:stickpoke:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The more reading I do, the more I'm beginning to wonder about .223 for long range. You may be able to hit a target at 400 yards with a good rifle in .223, but dropping a target of any size at that distance seems questionable at best. I don't have any hunting or sniping plans in my future but what's the point of being able to hit a long range target if you can't drop it?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    ummm me personally, no

the hubby has a bad ass Remington 700. has an AICS stock. Matched chamber, muzzle cut and re-crowned and threaded for the SAS suppressor mount, extra heavy GD tub, extra heavy recoil lug, prototech bolt handle installed, badger 40MO base, trigger tuned by prototech (Larry Hoskins and all work done by him) and a big fancy Leupold on top. He won't tell me how much he has in it.

Um, I kinda meant do you have any for sale... :):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    hey evan how does next tuesday work for shooting out at dads?

The 21st?

I work until 3, and then I'm meeting Brad to pick something up at 3:45pm. I *might* be able to come down after that, but it would be 5pm at the earliest.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I've also recently rekindled my lust for a long-range bolt gun.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...amily_heirloom_story_and_pictures_inside.html

Like Cru, I've dabbled in several other firearm disciplines, and have now found great satisfaction in hits at distance (even intermediate distance). Using .223 is even "cheap", as you can spend an couple hours shooting just 20-40 rounds.

I have no current plans to build a bolt gun, as I'd want something uber nice with high quality glass, and the funds just aren't there for it. Plus, my typical max shooting distance is 200 yards on the home range. If I went .308 I'd have to find a place to really stretch it out. I think I'm gonna stick with my heirloom rifle in its current configuration and work on my skillz for a while first. Then maybe someday. . . .

Very cool story in that thread esrice.

I love the pic from the trip.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom