• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sclark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    We use an external hard drive that only gets plugged in when we need it. That way it has much less chance of having a problem. We tried using CDs for a while, but quickly realized we would be buying them constantly. If you have a DVD burner, you can uses DVDs to store photos. They hold almost 5 times as much as a CD. Hard drives are so cheap now though, I just couldn't justify continually buying disks. As far as organization, for us the most important thing was creating a new folder each time we emptied the camera and putting a date on it. That way we could always break them down to other categories later if we wanted too. :twocents:

Thanks Supr! An external hard drive would be the most practical thing now. I guess then I could import all my CDs and camera cards back onto my computer if I wanted to and than save everything to the hard drive?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Is this similar to Photobucket?

Not at all, it's your personal area of the "cloud" and it's free.

You can access your files from any computer that's connected to the internets, you get 2 GB FREE and it's hosted at a proper data center so your data will be safe.

Oh yea, and it's private, people can't see your stuff if you don't want them to.

It's easier and cheaper than building // buying your own RAID array, an external drive will work for sure BUT.. it's still simply another single point of failure.

sclark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Southern Indiana

You can access your files from any computer that's connected to the internets, you get 2 GB FREE and it's hosted at a proper data center so your data will be safe.

Oh yea, and it's private, people can't see your stuff if you don't want them to.

It's easier and cheaper than building // buying your own RAID array, an external drive will work for sure BUT.. it's still simply another single point of failure.

Thanks, I'm gonna check it out and congrats on your gold!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

Everything you said is 100% correct, of course. My main problem with that is these days, 2 GB isn't very much. My wife fills up a 2 GB card on her camera every few weeks! Hard drives do fail like you said, but wouldn't it still be cheaper to have redundant external drives than to pay monthly/annually for off site storage? You can drastically reduce the risk of hard drive failure by making sure the drives are storage only and have no executables and by disconnecting them when not in use.

I made the mistake of using my primary system drive for storage before. It eventually became corrupted. I was still able to recover 95% of my data by spending a few bucks on some decent quality recovery software.

Is there any kind of "shelf life" for a hard drive that has data on it but is not in use?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Everything you said is 100% correct, of course. My main problem with that is these days, 2 GB isn't very much. My wife fills up a 2 GB card on her camera every few weeks! Hard drives do fail like you said, but wouldn't it still be cheaper to have redundant external drives than to pay monthly/annually for off site storage? You can drastically reduce the risk of hard drive failure by making sure the drives are storage only and have no executables and by disconnecting them when not in use.

I made the mistake of using my primary system drive for storage before. It eventually became corrupted. I was still able to recover 95% of my data by spending a few bucks on some decent quality recovery software.

Is there any kind of "shelf life" for a hard drive that has data on it but is not in use?

You can also use something called "Sky Drive"

It's through Evil Microsoft :rolleyes:

if you have a Windows Live account already you have access. If not, its free to create one. And you get 25GB free

Sky Drive also works with Windows Phone 7, and Live Mesh

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    You can also use something called "Sky Drive"

It's through Evil Microsoft :rolleyes:

if you have a Windows Live account already you have access. If not, its free to create one. And you get 25GB free

Sky Drive also works with Windows Phone 7, and Live Mesh

If you're serious about your data storage look into FreeNAS : FreeNAS [FreeNAS]

Or buy a drobo: Drobo - Small Box, Big Storage

If you ask me, buying a single disk ANYTHING is doing nothing but delaying the inevitable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom