Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anybody wanna buy a slushy machine?

I've had one of these since my old restaurant stopped using it. My wife would love for it to get out of our house.

bunn-gourmet-ice-ultra-2.gif

Mmmmm, I could make iced coffee slushies on one side and sour apple slushies on the other. Way overkill, though...

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I know what you mean. I haven't done them in a couple of months as the 48 hour marinade is hard to do. I generally start them right before I go out of town for the weekend. That way I forget it, then get surprised by myself on Sunday when I get back home. :rolleyes:
    If I was home, I'd have them baby's rotated at least 6 times!

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Mmmmm, I could make iced coffee slushies on one side and sour apple slushies on the other. Way overkill, though...

That simply means you limit it to Iced coffee on one side, and alcohol laden drink on the other. Then you have a before/after work treat! Only problem is you'd be so wasted you'd miss work the next day.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Anyone use one of those Vacuum marinade things? I've heard you can do 12 hours worth of Marinade soak in 30 mins. Wonder if I do a 12 hour marinade in one how it will turn out.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I always break down after about 12 hours. Still tastes good, but if you wait the full 48 hours it's AMAZING! I toss them in an air-purged 2 gallon Ziploc bag.
    OK, that's the difference. I just lay everything in glass, then turn it. I like handling my meat.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Anyone use one of those Vacuum marinade things? I've heard you can do 12 hours worth of Marinade soak in 30 mins. Wonder if I do a 12 hour marinade in one how it will turn out.

Time required will always vary depending on the meat and the acidity of the marinade, but vacuum packing definitely helps pull the marinade in to the meat much faster. With a high-acid marinade, too much time is worse than too little. "Chicken Ceviche" is mushy yuck. Beef is a bit more resilient.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Time required will always vary depending on the meat and the acidity of the marinade, but vacuum packing definitely helps pull the marinade in to the meat much faster. With a high-acid marinade, too much time is worse than too little. "Chicken Ceviche" is mushy yuck. Beef is a bit more resilient.

I saw an internet video which someone titled Ceviche which has totally turned me off of any food containing that name..... :puke:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I saw an internet video which someone titled Ceviche which has totally turned me off of any food containing that name..... :puke:

Ceviche is just the process of 'cooking' a food by the acidity of it's marinade. Fish and Shrimp ceviches are awesome. My point was leaving chicken or beef in an acidic marinade for too long will actually break down the meat too much and result in an undesirable texture by essentially cooking it.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Ceviche is just the process of 'cooking' a food by the acidity of it's marinade. Fish and Shrimp ceviches are awesome. My point was leaving chicken or beef in an acidic marinade for too long will actually break down the meat too much and result in an undesirable texture by essentially cooking it.

If you saw the video you'd think differently as well. Kinda one of those "can't unsee" things. lol

I do know what you mean though. It breaks down the meat too much. Kinda Jello's it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom