• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Whatever you call him (I've heard several different things) it looks like he shot a nice clean match yesterday!

Looks like new expert Scowens sandbagged the entry form too
    icon7.png

There be sandbaggers among us!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just a reminder about the classifier on Saturday. Since squads will only be there for about 1.5 - 2 hours at the most there won't be any sort of lunch served although there will still be drinks available for purchase like normal. I believe there are still a slots open in the 2 and 4 pm area if anybody is interested so contact Jay and see what is still left open.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    BTW, in keeping with the with the "one in, one out" policy in my household, the addition of my new Glock means I will be looking to sell my Kimber custom TLE II if anyone knows someone who may be interested.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ever won a frying pan for a plaque?? LOL

That is a first! Congrats, again!

Speaking of major matches, any advice on what to bring along for those of us going to Sellersberg that have never been to a major? Aside from ammo, gun, ear and eye...the usual, anything that should be in the range bag that may not make the normal WSSC and RB matches?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    very nice! Turn it upside down it can serve as a popper

That is the exact thing my children said. I told them it would make a great paddle too:)

That is a first! Congrats, again!

Speaking of major matches, any advice on what to bring along for those of us going to Sellersberg that have never been to a major? Aside from ammo, gun, ear and eye...the usual, anything that should be in the range bag that may not make the normal WSSC and RB matches?

Not exactly something for the range bag, but it's a good idea to bring a back-up gun if you have one. If you don't see if you can get a friend to lend you one for the match. Outside of that-

Parts, fiber optic rod, lighter, springs, tools, cleaning eq.
    Calcluator and pen.
    Some kind of medium sized envelope.
    Large garbage bag, small plastic bag, hat and poncho.
    Medications
    Extra eyes and ears. I wear muffs but have those plug types just in case the muffs break. Also another pair of glasses I leave in the truck.
    Snacks, water
    Rulebook
    A-Game (sorry, you said something not normally brought to RB or WSSC:laugh:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

That is the exact thing my children said. I told them it would make a great paddle too:)

Not exactly something for the range bag, but it's a good idea to bring a back-up gun if you have one. If you don't see if you can get a friend to lend you one for the match. Outside of that-

Parts, fiber optic rod, lighter, springs, tools, cleaning eq.
    Calcluator and pen.
    Some kind of medium sized envelope.
    Large garbage bag, small plastic bag, hat and poncho.
    Medications
    Extra eyes and ears. I wear muffs but have those plug types just in case the muffs break. Also another pair of glasses I leave in the truck.
    Snacks, water
    Rulebook
    A-Game (sorry, you said something not normally brought to RB or WSSC:laugh:)
    ^^^
    HA!!

Good point about the ears. I normally have 2 or 3 different pair of safety glasses to sort of match up with the weather but if my electronic pair of ear pro goes down... plus there are times when wearing the muffs for a bit too long just grinds you down...wouldn't mind having a pair of decent plugs to fall back on in case. I normally carry Aleve and sun screen/bug spray so just a few extra goodies and I should be GTG.

In prep, I did chrono my rounds the other day with Brent after the RB match and I was seriously making power! I am going to back off a bit on the charge and then hit Brent up again to bring the chrono; I want to make sure I am way safe for any time of the year.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In prep, I did chrono my rounds the other day with Brent after the RB match and I was seriously making power! I am going to back off a bit on the charge and then hit Brent up again to bring the chrono; I want to make sure I am way safe for any time of the year.

Gotta ask why? Are you having trouble with the recoil? Gun not cycling through as you want it to? Accuracy way off? If none of these things are the case you might actually do more harm than good by changing things up. You could get into cycling problems. You could run into steel that all the sudden becomes more stubborn. Your split times might suffer. Lots of stuff can change. Just sayin, if it ain't broke I wouldn't try to fix it.:twocents: YMMV, cats, cradle, silver spoon...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Gotta ask why? Are you having trouble with the recoil? Gun not cycling through as you want it to? Accuracy way off? If none of these things are the case you might actually do more harm than good by changing things up. You could get into cycling problems. You could run into steel that all the sudden becomes more stubborn. Your split times might suffer. Lots of stuff can change. Just sayin, if it ain't broke I wouldn't try to fix it.:twocents: YMMV, cats, cradle, silver spoon...

You hit on a lot of what I was thinking.... Everything works and cycles in every 9 but I thought I might try to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it...but you might be right about leaving what is currently working alone. But, I am making 152,000 power factor with my 9's :D probably should shoot a bit more with e new sights and see what happens before making a change like that.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You hit on a lot of what I was thinking.... Everything works and cycles in every 9 but I thought I might try to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it...but you might be right about leaving what is currently working alone. But, I am making 152,000 power factor with my 9's :D probably should shoot a bit more with e new sights and see what happens before making a change like that.

It's always nice to get a little more accuracy. What I would be concerned about with you making a change is that you've probably been "tuned" to 45 for so long it might throw things off. One guy I shoot with in Wilmore, Corey Estill, IDPA 3 gun MA and USPSA GM, will actually shoot his 9 slower than his 40 because he is so "tuned" to the 40. It's just different enough that it makes the brain ask what's going on. Just saying, the movement of recoil between a 9 at that pf and a 45 is likely similar.

Glad you understood where I was coming from; I hoped my post didn't come off the wrong way. I just want to see folks succeed and making load changes with only a couple matches between now and a big match normally doesn't help that end.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It's always nice to get a little more accuracy. What I would be concerned about with you making a change is that you've probably been "tuned" to 45 for so long it might throw things off. One guy I shoot with in Wilmore, Corey Estill, IDPA 3 gun MA and USPSA GM, will actually shoot his 9 slower than his 40 because he is so "tuned" to the 40. It's just different enough that it makes the brain ask what's going on. Just saying, the movement of recoil between a 9 at that pf and a 45 is likely similar.

Glad you understood where I was coming from; I hoped my post didn't come off the wrong way. I just want to see folks succeed and making load changes with only a couple matches between now and a big match normally doesn't help that end.

You understand that he has never yet shot the same gun two matches in a row??

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    :laugh: What was I thinking? I retract all my previous comments:laugh:

You 2 are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day

I honestly never thought about that, about being tuned to a particular gun/caliber that it just hasn't clicked perfectly. On most every occasion I will be able to shoot the .45, any .45, faster than a 9 even of the same make and model. My classifier score for CDP and SSP were only 2 seconds apart after it was all calculated. I swapped to a different carry gun and try to shoot the same or a larger model of the same gun in IDPA so it may just take me some time to get used to the new newness!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You 2 are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day

I honestly never thought about that, about being tuned to a particular gun/caliber that it just hasn't clicked perfectly. On most every occasion I will be able to shoot the .45, any .45, faster than a 9 even of the same make and model. My classifier score for CDP and SSP were only 2 seconds apart after it was all calculated. I swapped to a different carry gun and try to shoot the same or a larger model of the same gun in IDPA so it may just take me some time to get used to the new newness!

Glad we can help:)

I do the same thing. Carry an 11 ounce j-frame and compete with a 42 ounce n-frame:laugh:

I'm not exactly sure what it is but there is something in the mental/muscle memory deal that gets one accustomed to certain calibers, loads and guns. Makes a difference when there's a change- or maybe better said, makes no difference which is the problem as we don't capitalize on what smaller, less recoiling calibers offer.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Slight change of topic, but what goals do ya'll have for the classifier Saturday?

Me, I'm going to make ESR/MA. When I made EX earlier this year, I thought I would be mid-pack and work my way up. But, it appears that I might have been a little higher. I've shot against 4 ESR/EX in a few majors since then and one match against an ESR/SS that was a 3 gun MA. Came out ahead against them. It's subjective but it appears I need to class up. I know for certain there are some ESR/MA up north that are shooting at a higher skill level. But I'd really rather be at the bottom of my honest class than at the top of where I'm not. It's not fair to those who are honestly EX (or whatever the case may be) and I'd like the challenge of moving up the ranks.

I also plan to test myself by running a bottom feeder cold- as in no practice and no handling of the gun until the day I load it to head for Evansville. I missed ESP/EX by 2 points over a year ago and I'd like to see if I'm able to just pick up a gun and make ESP or SSP EX. My old SSP score would have landed me in SSP/EX and 10 or so points off of SSP/MA. Not the best proposition because I don't really know what my reloads are doing at 20 yards, but we'll see and I think it will be fun. If nothing else my squad can enjoy seeing me turn the gun over to try and reload and look for the cylinder latch on my M&P:D

So, what are your goals for the classifier?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Slight change of topic, but what goals do ya'll have for the classifier Saturday?

Me, I'm going to make ESR/MA. When I made EX earlier this year, I thought I would be mid-pack and work my way up. But, it appears that I might have been a little higher. I've shot against 4 ESR/EX in a few majors since then and one match against an ESR/SS that was a 3 gun MA. Came out ahead against them. It's subjective but it appears I need to class up. I know for certain there are some ESR/MA up north that are shooting at a higher skill level. But I'd really rather be at the bottom of my honest class than at the top of where I'm not. It's not fair to those who are honestly EX (or whatever the case may be) and I'd like the challenge of moving up the ranks.

I also plan to test myself by running a bottom feeder cold- as in no practice and no handling of the gun until the day I load it to head for Evansville. I missed ESP/EX by 2 points over a year ago and I'd like to see if I'm able to just pick up a gun and make ESP or SSP EX. My old SSP score would have landed me in SSP/EX and 10 or so points off of SSP/MA. Not the best proposition because I don't really know what my reloads are doing at 20 yards, but we'll see and I think it will be fun. If nothing else my squad can enjoy seeing me turn the gun over to try and reload and look for the cylinder latch on my M&P:D

So, what are your goals for the classifier?

Great question. Since I have to work my goal will be to not suffer from heat stroke LOL I actually hit a goal or two for the Classifier that the SO's for Saturday's match shot earlier. I wanted to see if I could honestly classify as EX in any division. My 3rd Stage accuracy killed my chances at CDP EX but I was pleased to hit EX using a gun that I hadn't shot that often in a division I almost never shoot. IF I get a chance to shoot a round before the end of the day I want to see if I can better my score on Stage 3 for SSP. Heck, I'd just take shooting the 3rd Stage over again and see how that compares to my last go-round.

I think you've got MA as long as something doesn't go sideways. The good news is if something does go wrong on a particular stage you can get that reshoot. I think it is only one per stage, though but still!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Great question. Since I have to work my goal will be to not suffer from heat stroke LOL I actually hit a goal or two for the Classifier that the SO's for Saturday's match shot earlier. I wanted to see if I could honestly classify as EX in any division. My 3rd Stage accuracy killed my chances at CDP EX but I was pleased to hit EX using a gun that I hadn't shot that often in a division I almost never shoot. IF I get a chance to shoot a round before the end of the day I want to see if I can better my score on Stage 3 for SSP. Heck, I'd just take shooting the 3rd Stage over again and see how that compares to my last go-round.

I think you've got MA as long as something doesn't go sideways. The good news is if something does go wrong on a particular stage you can get that reshoot. I think it is only one per stage, though but still!

From what I've heard from you, it sounds like Stage 3 was a complete issue of positioning. Get that squared away (literally- HA!) and I think you'd see a substantial improvement. It's hard to hit targets at 20 yards with a gangsta lean:D

This classifier event is unique in that it's one of the few times you can schedule back to back. I've got two spots set up that way and if reshoot is needed I'll take it on the next run. Times can be put together then in a "continuous" course. Good stuff, very creative work by the dudes at WSSC.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom