• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Great question. Since I have to work my goal will be to not suffer from heat stroke

You know, the last time you suffered this malady you didn't take our advice. This time, please do. For example if I say "no Mike, that is a perfect double in the down zero spot, the heat is affecting you, just take my word for it, OK:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    From what I've heard from you, it sounds like Stage 3 was a complete issue of positioning. Get that squared away (literally- HA!) and I think you'd see a substantial improvement. It's hard to hit targets at 20 yards with a gangsta lean:D

This classifier event is unique in that it's one of the few times you can schedule back to back. I've got two spots set up that way and if reshoot is needed I'll take it on the next run. Times can be put together then in a "continuous" course. Good stuff, very creative work by the dudes at WSSC.

I think you are spot on about that. By the time the 2nd and 3rd targets were being engaged I was so out of shape with my gun that I'm surprised I was able to keep as many on paper as what I did. Lots of down 3's so I think going in to my next Classifier armed with the knowledge of taking a bit of speed off, take an extra second to get the right position and getting the correct sight picture will help. I want to be able to hit EX again especially with the new SSP times. I wouldn't have made it on my current score, I would have been just shy of it, so I need to find a few seconds and I think I will end up going faster by slowing down on that 3rd Stage.

There could be a few bugs to work out with it but I sincerely think that having the classifier set up like this, and with scheduled times, is the best way to run it with the shooters spending the least amount of time at the range. It would be odd for me to have a 2 or 4 start time if I did it, but since the Classifier is a necessary evil I think that breaking it down like this is the best way to combat that.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You know, the last time you suffered this malady you didn't take our advice. This time, please do. For example if I say "no Mike, that is a perfect double in the down zero spot, the heat is affecting you, just take my word for it, OK:laugh:

Since I don't have any skin in the game (or have to worry about scoring reprisals) I could see myself possible leaning more towards the generous side LOL unless it's Jeff then I'm hard-core!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I also plan to test myself by running a bottom feeder cold- as in no practice and no handling of the gun until the day I load it to head for Evansville. I missed ESP/EX by 2 points over a year ago and I'd like to see if I'm able to just pick up a gun and make ESP or SSP EX. My old SSP score would have landed me in SSP/EX and 10 or so points off of SSP/MA. Not the best proposition because I don't really know what my reloads are doing at 20 yards, but we'll see and I think it will be fun. If nothing else my squad can enjoy seeing me turn the gun over to try and reload and look for the cylinder latch on my M&P:D

So, what are your goals for the classifier?
    I feel like I'm running cold almost everytime I'm out, especially classifiers.
    But then again, I've never properly zeroed either of my pistols for POA/POI, so I'm pretty much always in the dark. Maybe I need to have one of you more expert shooters run them and see what you think.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I feel like I'm running cold almost everytime I'm out, especially classifiers.
    But then again, I've never properly zeroed either of my pistols for POA/POI, so I'm pretty much always in the dark. Maybe I need to have one of you more expert shooters run them and see what you think.

Be glad to. You're supplying the ammo, right?:laugh:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    So, what are your goals for the classified?

-Be more aggressive 10 yards and in
    -business as usual beyond 10 yards, at least with the actual process of firing
    -be very aggressive on the things between trigger pulls (draw, reloads, target transitions, movement on the stages that require it)
    -No mental errors

If I can do this.... maybe Sharpshooter.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    -Be more aggressive 10 yards and in
    -business as usual beyond 10 yards, at least with the actual process of firing
    -be very aggressive on the things between trigger pulls (draw, reloads, target transitions, movement on the stages that require it)
    -No mental errors

If I can do this.... maybe Sharpshooter.

#3 is big. There are plenty of ways to be fast without ever firing a shot faster than what you do now. Quick to the gun, quick to the reload, quick on the feet... trying to start at the beginning sound of the buzzer, not the end of the buzzer. TJ said it once and it is true...the Classifier IS the 3rd stage. Be accurate on that and you have a good chance of coasting to your goal. I figured I could have slowed down considerably on Stage 3, got better hits and had a better score than what I did. I tried pushing it relying totally on speed and that didn't work at the 20 yard line.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I tried pushing it relying totally on speed and that didn't work at the 20 yard line.

Good point to offer all of us, and I'll try to remember it myself:D- shoot the classifier off of vision, not speed.

In a normal match that would not necessarily be my advice. Of course you need to see, but for most targets you don't need to see much and often a fast -1 trumps a slow -0. The classifier is another animal. It WILL NOT forgive for speed over vision. We have to see everything before breaking every shot. Kind of a hard thing for we that like to go fast to remember, but in this case we've got to do so. Don't get me wrong, we don't have to go stupid slow, but we do have to take every 100th needed to see what we need to see and control that trigger. Break the shot only when you've seen all you need to see, and not a nanosecond later:twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Words to live by! It took me a while to finally shoot the classifier and actually SEE what I was doing properly and more importantly improperly. I am looking forward to trying it again, especially the Stage 3 stuff.

Bring your gear man! If nothing else I can run you on it after everything is shut down, since you're a member and all.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So, what are your goals for the classifier?

Have some fun & get some serious b.s.ing accomplished (and see if I can grab the timer when DD48 is on a run
    icon7.png
    ).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Email from WSSC tonight:

Hello Shooters
    One last reminder about the IDPA Classifier this Saturday.

We have one open slot at 8am and one at 10am.
    At this point we only have 3 shooters scheduled at noon, and 3 at 4pm.
    We should be able to handle any walk on's after 12, but the scheduled
    people will be given priority.

Email or call me if you have any question or would like to schedule a time.

Thank You
    Jay HIle

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Little Stoeger encouragement for tomorrow:D

IDPA Classifier - YouTube

Is it me, am I doing it wrong or what?...but on Stage 3 it doesn't look like he is behind cover while engaging those targets. He barely moves his body around the barricade like he could see all 3 targets at the same time; his body barely moves at all. Is my technique wrong, am I not doing it properly? That is a helluva score and I'm not picking but it seems to me, at least from that angle, that the way he is working cover and the way I have been are 2 completely different things. Thoughts? I got some things to check out tomorrow :D He might be far enough back from cover to not have to move that much or have I just been using the wrong technique?

Top Bottom