• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just a little FYI for everyone, come Oct.1 the only valid way of proving classifications will be through the IDPA database. But, some shooters at the Summer Sizzler that used their cards to prove classification were knocked to unclassified when the scores were entered in the IDPA database. They had no scores uploaded to the database. Again, this is suppose to be cool until Oct. 1 and then things were suppose to change. But evidently the HQ computer has decided it should change now.

Also, your classification is only valid if the classifier is shot once a year. While you can't drop in classification unless there are special circumstances approved by HQ, this doesn't mean your classification can't become invalid. It can and will if the classifier isn't shot once a year AND those scores uploaded to the database. With more folks venturing out into majors, just thought I would give a heads up.:twocents:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Check out Armada (Optics?) on Weinbach near Daves Sportsden. THey have some various yellow/iridium/etc. stuff.... i got some for work when I was still wearing contacts.
    Apparently there is a place off of Lynch Rd. somewhere that has a lot of stylin/safety glasses, not sure of the name of the place.

I've been wondering the same thing

Sweet! Much like ordering shoes online, it would be a crapshoot if you haven't actually tried them on first. I will check them out.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just a little FYI for everyone, come Oct.1 the only valid way of proving classifications will be through the IDPA database. But, some shooters at the Summer Sizzler that used their cards to prove classification were knocked to unclassified when the scores were entered in the IDPA database. They had no scores uploaded to the database. Again, this is suppose to be cool until Oct. 1 and then things were suppose to change. But evidently the HQ computer has decided it should change now.

Also, your classification is only valid if the classifier is shot once a year. While you can't drop in classification unless there are special circumstances approved by HQ, this doesn't mean your classification can't become invalid. It can and will if the classifier isn't shot once a year AND those scores uploaded to the database. With more folks venturing out into majors, just thought I would give a heads up.:twocents:

All you need is your card with your IDPA number then, right?

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana

I saw that on the IDPA site. So the club needs to load the scores, right?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I was just thinking your card with your number on it more as a form of identification than actual current classification. I still carry my original gold hard plastic card with me instead of the new flimsy ones since those seem to get all icky after awhile. I could then actually trim off the part that has the slots for time and classification then and laminate the newer ones to make them more durable...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was just thinking your card with your number on it more as a form of identification than actual current classification. I still carry my original gold hard plastic card with me instead of the new flimsy ones since those seem to get all icky after awhile. I could then actually trim off the part that has the slots for time and classification then and laminate the newer ones to make them more durable...

I see what you're saying for the ID thing. The only valid thing on the cards after Oct.1 will be your number and your membership expiration dates. You'll need the icky ones for that :): I suspect any new cards mailed, if they continue to do cards, will be like USPSA cards, just thick paper. Could be wrong though, it seems like they are wanting everything done online. Puts a little more strain on registration and so forth, but that appears to be the direction.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I see what you're saying for the ID thing. The only valid thing on the cards after Oct.1 will be your number and your membership expiration dates. You'll need the icky ones for that :): I suspect any new cards mailed, if they continue to do cards, will be like USPSA cards, just thick paper. Could be wrong though, it seems like they are wanting everything done online. Puts a little more strain on registration and so forth, but that appears to be the direction.

I think I'll just snip the bottom off of the newest one and then laminated it since it is all about the online info than what could/would be on my card.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Update from Jay about the classifier this Sat.:

Hello Everyone,
    Just a remind about the IDPA Classifier on August 10th.

As of Sunday afternoon we have 8 slots open at 8am, 1 slot open at 10am,
    13 slots open at noon, 16 slots open at 2pm and 13 slots open at 4pm.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to e-mail or call me.

Later,
    Jay Hile

I'll bring along some M&P9 and 45 fullsize mags if anyone can use them along with my oompaloompa mag loader. Kind of helps things move along when there are plenty of mags.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Update from Jay about the classifier this Sat.:

Hello Everyone,
    Just a remind about the IDPA Classifier on August 10th.

As of Sunday afternoon we have 8 slots open at 8am, 1 slot open at 10am,
    13 slots open at noon, 16 slots open at 2pm and 13 slots open at 4pm.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to e-mail or call me.

Later,
    Jay Hile

I'll bring along some M&P9 and 45 fullsize mags if anyone can use them along with my oompaloompa mag loader. Kind of helps things move along when there are plenty of mags.

Good thought. I will pack mine, too along with my Glock mags on the off chance somebody could use them to help speed things along.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hopefully trying this new classifier system will help get the shooters through without them spending an insane amount of time at the range. The SO's will be there just about all day but the shooters should really just have to shoot, paste a bit and then call it good.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Off the subject, but anybody ever read one of these type of books?

With Winning In Mind, by Lanny Bassham (Book & CD)
    b.lanny.jpg
    Olympic gold medalist and world rifle champion Lanny Bassham shares his mental strategies for success in his book, With Winning In Mind.From the back cover:

• With Winning in Mind is the most authoritative book available on mental training for sports and competitive business environments.
    • The most powerful mental tools used by Olympic winners.
    • The secrets of mastering the pressure of big competitions.
    • The three mental processes that control a winning performance.
    • Why ninety-five percent of all winning is accomplished by only five percent of the participants.
    • How to turn your deficiencies into strengths.
    • The Mental Management System used by Olympic teams from seven nations.
    With Winning In Mind is essential for:

• Athletes in training for national or world competitions in all sports.
    • Coaches of top-ranked teams and individuals.
    • Business trainers and sales professionals.
    • Anyone interested in increasing performance while reducing stress.
    With Winning in Mind is a fantastic resource for anyone seeking improvement of any kind - I've recommended to all my friends. I wish I had known about it when I was competing! [Brian Enos]

Seems like that you get to the point where you've worked on a lot of gun stuff a bit and then the biggest opportunity might be in working on some of the you stuff?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Off the subject, but anybody ever read one of these type of books?

With Winning In Mind, by Lanny Bassham (Book & CD)

b.lanny.jpg
    Olympic gold medalist and world rifle champion Lanny Bassham shares his mental strategies for success in his book, With Winning In Mind.From the back cover:

• With Winning in Mind is the most authoritative book available on mental training for sports and competitive business environments.
    • The most powerful mental tools used by Olympic winners.
    • The secrets of mastering the pressure of big competitions.
    • The three mental processes that control a winning performance.
    • Why ninety-five percent of all winning is accomplished by only five percent of the participants.
    • How to turn your deficiencies into strengths.
    • The Mental Management System used by Olympic teams from seven nations.
    With Winning In Mind is essential for:

• Athletes in training for national or world competitions in all sports.
    • Coaches of top-ranked teams and individuals.
    • Business trainers and sales professionals.
    • Anyone interested in increasing performance while reducing stress.
    With Winning in Mind is a fantastic resource for anyone seeking improvement of any kind - I've recommended to all my friends. I wish I had known about it when I was competing! [Brian Enos]

Seems like that you get to the point where you've worked on a lot of gun stuff a bit and then the biggest opportunity might be in working on some of the you stuff?

You discovered my secret. I've read Bassham's work a time or two and plan to read it over again. What I like about Bassham is that he's a Christian so when you read it you don't have to deal with all the "zen" junk that so many get into.

There are certain mechanics at work in understanding the relationship of yourself, the gun and the target. More important, in my opinion, is the mental game. I rate it first and then gun handling second. Well worth buying and reading:twocents:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've read Bassham's work a time or two and plan to read it over again.

Sounding like it was $25 well spent. Thanks for the feedback.

It is wild for me to think about olympic gymnasts and similar competitors that can get the job done, young, one chance in a lifetime style intense pressure, memory & large muscle control & fine muscle control all tested at once. Kind of makes remembering a course of fire & running a clean stage seem like less than the ultimate human athletic achievement
    icon7.png

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Sounding like it was $25 well spent. Thanks for the feedback.

It is wild for me to think about olympic gymnasts and similar competitors that can get the job done, young, one chance in a lifetime style intense pressure, memory & large muscle control & fine muscle control all tested at once. Kind of makes remembering a course of fire & running a clean stage seem like less than the ultimate human athletic achievement
    icon7.png

Indeed it does!:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I demand your next upgrade be a trigger like Keith has so I can shoot the classifier with it. :laugh:

that was a pretty sweet trigger. Since it took me about 3 or 4 years to finally setting on my first set of aftermarket sights it should probably be about 2026 when I get my first trigger job LOL

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You discovered my secret. I've read Bassham's work a time or two and plan to read it over again. What I like about Bassham is that he's a Christian so when you read it you don't have to deal with all the "zen" junk that so many get into.

There are certain mechanics at work in understanding the relationship of yourself, the gun and the target. More important, in my opinion, is the mental game. I rate it first and then gun handling second. Well worth buying and reading:twocents:

It is all about that muscle between your ears. I remember reading about a study involving 3 groups of basketball players. Group 1 was to practice the physical act of shooting free-throws, Group 2 would set and visualize themselves shooting and making them and Group 3 was to do neither. Group 3's performance, as expected, dropped when they were tested several weeks later against their pre-study free-throw percentages. Group 1 improved greatly as expected but Group 2 made significant gains on Group 1. The physical act of doing helped improve but simply visualizing the proper form and themselves making basket after basket showed remarkable improvement.

Plus, knowing what to practice and how to practice... I have no idea of how to practice before a major match since I've never shot at one. I've never practiced in hoping to peak at the right time...

Top Bottom