• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Speaking of sights. I had to replace a Dawson precision front sight a few weeks ago (a curse on mim casting), it would not budge with a reasonable impact and I'm squeamish about going for the big hammer. Called Dawson and they said to bring the barrel to about 150 degrees F (effects the type of loctite they use). Stuck the barrel sight end into some boiling water for a wee bit, either by coincidence or design the sight came off when I banged on it again. For what it is worth.

Good deal. I'll tuck that one in the "stubborn sight' file. Probably best to schedule it along with spaghetti for supper.

:rockwoot:

A dual holster rig would be cool!!

Yes, yes it would:draw:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Both eyes open
    Ok, so I'm debating... Take a step backwards in ability and work on shooting both eyes open with a chance that may improve abilities in the long run?
    Or just move ahead with what seems to work for me?
    I know the trade-off / benefit of improved periferal (sp?) vision. But so what if I cant hit what I am aiming at?

I've tried working on it before but results were not pretty

thoughts?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Both eyes open
    Ok, so I'm debating... Take a step backwards in ability and work on shooting both eyes open with a chance that may improve abilities in the long run?
    Or just move ahead with what seems to work for me?
    I know the trade-off / benefit of improved periferal (sp?) vision. But so what if I cant hit what I am aiming at?

I've tried working on it before but results were not pretty

thoughts?

Definitely try with both eyes open. Before starting it though, find out which eye is your dominate eye. Make a diamond with both thumbs and index fingers. Place out as far you can from your face. Focus on an object at least 15 feet and slowly bring your hands back to your eye. Whichever eye the diamond goes to, that's your dominate eye. Do not be surprised if its the eye opposite of your dominate hand. Then, work on bringing the gun up to eye level and seeing the front sight crystal clear, adjusting your head and vision as necessary.

I honestly don't know how people shoot with one eye closed. I even shoot rifles with both open.

I think it will benefit you to train yourself for both eyes open shooting.:twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just to clarify, the benefit isn't so much with peripherial vision as it is with depth perception. When depth perception gets off things go downhill quickly. You can only shoot as fast, as well, and as honestly as you can see.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No, half an inch I would call low. 6 or more inches at 10 yards is low and that is exactly what it was doing. With the stock 3dot sights it was incredibly low compared to every other pistol I had ever shot, even the 9mm M&P. it is like you needed to shave off 1/8" off the front factory sight. It would shoot great groups but they would all be far below the point of aim.

How tall is your new FO front compared to the factory front?

Got them measured and although the factory sight is taller, the dots on both at the same from the slide.

At 20, as expected, she rose to target but groups opened slightly. Some of that may have been my fault.

Ack, other people are shooting today and I'm digging trenches. Do you know if that gun shoots higher or lower when you move the target back to 20 yards? Don't know the distance from sight to muzzle and I'm too lazy to do the math anyway.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I know I am right eye dominant and I shoot rifles with both eyes open, although when I was shooting small bore competition, i would wear a patch over my left eye.

but when shooting pistols I cant seem to focus on the front sight with both open. The rear sights are all discombobulated and sight picture is a confusing mess.

Dont know if I just need to spend more time on it or f I've got some weird stigmatism, etc..

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Well, I know cheap Federal bulk from wally world seemed to shoot ok, at least close to my POA, so I still on board with thinking my ammo is bad in some shape/form.

I loaded them with ~3.8gr Clays at an OAL of 1.265, which I think is a bit lighter and longer than most "pro" loads mentioned on Enos and other places. Yet, my chrono numbers seem to be pretty darned good and right in line with those above-PF loads. Here's what I came up with on just a 5-shot spread.

hi: 756
    lo: 733
    av: 742
    es: 23
    sd: 8

The only issues I can think of would be my amount of crimp and/or FCD interference... but thinking back, it didn't feel like it did much on most rounds except at the top of the stroke, which I believe is where the crimp happens...:dunno:

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I know I am right eye dominant and I shoot rifles with both eyes open, although when I was shooting small bore competition, i would wear a patch over my left eye.

but when shooting pistols I cant seem to focus on the front sight with both open. The rear sights are all discombobulated and sight picture is a confusing mess.

Dont know if I just need to spend more time on it or f I've got some weird stigmatism, etc..

Find an eye doctor that won't freak out at the mention of the word "gun." Then, ask to take you gun into the examination with you. Tell the doc you want to to take a normal hold on the weapon and where the front sight is you want it to be crystal clear. Any decent eye doc will fix you up. This is what I had to do.

Well, I know cheap Federal bulk from wally world seemed to shoot ok, at least close to my POA, so I still on board with thinking my ammo is bad in some shape/form.

I loaded them with ~3.8gr Clays at an OAL of 1.265, which I think is a bit lighter and longer than most "pro" loads mentioned on Enos and other places. Yet, my chrono numbers seem to be pretty darned good and right in line with those above-PF loads. Here's what I came up with on just a 5-shot spread.

hi: 756
    lo: 733
    av: 742
    es: 23
    sd: 8

The only issues I can think of would be my amount of crimp and/or FCD interference... but thinking back, it didn't feel like it did much on most rounds except at the top of the stroke, which I believe is where the crimp happens...:dunno:

Might try heating those loads up a bit and seeing if anything changes.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Might try heating those loads up a bit and seeing if anything changes.
    I had thought about that too. Would it be better to increase the load or perhaps seat deeper, or is it a "six of one, half dozen the other" kinda thing? I noticed a lot of the standard recipes run about 1.250" and I think Hodgdon's site suggests 3.5-4.0gr at 1.200".

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Find an eye doctor that won't freak out at the mention of the word "gun." Then, ask to take you gun into the examination with you. Tell the doc you want to to take a normal hold on the weapon and where the front sight is you want it to be crystal clear. Any decent eye doc will fix you up. This is what I had to do.

Rose optical (I think that is the name, Green River road near office depo, Evansville) is gun friendly. I tried gun glasses & ended up just shooting in non-prescription, targets are fluffy but site is clear, it all depends on your particulars I think. The switch to both eyes open (I did it 12 - 18 months ago) seemed like it was sort of a matter of training yourself how to see as much as anything, the process seemed to go better after I shot enough paper to convince myself that I was not any more accurate when I went back to left eye closed. It will probably be a while before things seem natural and you aren't tempted to close the left eye now and then.

lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    I have a stigmatism in my dominant eye. It is not bad, although occasionally it causes me to lose focus on my front sight. I have tried various means of dealing with it. A few years ago I installed a set of XS sights on my carry pistol (not the big dots, but the standard ones). It did help, but I no longer have them on my current pistols. What I have found more helpful is that when I am having trouble I will squint my left (non-dominant) eye ever so slightly, almost as you would squint during a sunny day without glasses on. The eye is still open and I can see out of it, but it allows me to focus more on my dominant eye.On another note, I notice that it said there will be 8 stages at WSSC tomorrow. Are there going to be two squads still, or have they gotten the other bay set up that I keep hearing about? Just curious as I haven't been able to make it to any of the shoots since March I believe.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Rose optical (I think that is the name, Green River road near office depo, Evansville) is gun friendly. I tried gun glasses & ended up just shooting in non-prescription, targets are fluffy but site is clear, it all depends on your particulars I think. The switch to both eyes open (I did it 12 - 18 months ago) seemed like it was sort of a matter of training yourself how to see as much as anything, the process seemed to go better after I shot enough paper to convince myself that I was not any more accurate when I went back to left eye closed. It will probably be a while before things seem natural and you aren't tempted to close the left eye now and then.

Thanks all! I am actually due for my eye exam, I'll ask about it & see if they can fix me up!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have a stigmatism in my dominant eye. It is not bad, although occasionally it causes me to lose focus on my front sight. I have tried various means of dealing with it. A few years ago I installed a set of XS sights on my carry pistol (not the big dots, but the standard ones). It did help, but I no longer have them on my current pistols. What I have found more helpful is that when I am having trouble I will squint my left (non-dominant) eye ever so slightly, almost as you would squint during a sunny day without glasses on. The eye is still open and I can see out of it, but it allows me to focus more on my dominant eye.On another note, I notice that it said there will be 8 stages at WSSC tomorrow. Are there going to be two squads still, or have they gotten the other bay set up that I keep hearing about? Just curious as I haven't been able to make it to any of the shoots since March I believe.

They are starting the berm construction and while it isn't a complete bay they do have the ability to set up a wider variety of courses. I would still imagine 2 squads but the COF are quick and it should go at a good pace.

Hope to see everybody there!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I always thought it would be cool for WSSC to put in a berm parallel to the cowboy town, about 50 yards behind it. Then, run a berm parallel to that one and at the back where we shoot now. Divide six bays on one berm, six on the other with a 12 or so yard road in the middle.

Then they could hold a major using the new berm and the cowboy town- so long as the cowboy people didn't freak out about it.

Of course, that would probably require triple the berm funds they are working with:laugh:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    This has absolutely nothing to do with IDPA, but man I couldn't resist sharing this for those who might be out of the loop. :laugh:

[video=youtube_share;iwsqFR5bh6Q]http://youtu.be/iwsqFR5bh6Q[/video]

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This has absolutely nothing to do with IDPA, but man I couldn't resist sharing this for those who might be out of the loop. :laugh:

Sharknado. Awesome. Wonder what they were drinking when that idea surfaced.

fun stages today, pure speed! Exactly what i needed to get me to push the envelope

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I enjoyed the day and so did my family. The concept of using movie themed COFs is a great one, I just wish I would have brought my 29 for the Dirty Harry stage.:D

Keep on keeping on WSSC guys, you're doing a good job!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I enjoyed the day and so did my family. The concept of using movie themed COFs is a great one, I just wish I would have brought my 29 for the Dirty Harry stage.:D

Keep on keeping on WSSC guys, you're doing a good job!

It was a ton of fun and I had a great time? What a way to spend a beautiful Saturday!

Top Bottom