• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    No worries at all. Maybe by the next match you will be so attached to it you will have to buy it :D

Brent, steel sucks LOL and it is probably the wrong venue to tune new ammo in! Some guys shot a similar Down X score but stopped shooting after only a mag so your time would be skewed. The only real result you can trust is the house score.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    "We had some folks jumping the gun on unloading, showing clear, dropping the hammer"

I caught myself doing that a couple of times, will have to make a concious effort to avoid developing a bad habit.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I know. I know I'm no super-sniper by any means, not by a long shot, but man today was just BAD. :laugh:

A whole nuther level of pain is bringing one of your maximum suck days to a major match :crying:. I know this :)

I think it might be beneficial to the new shooters to get a reminder in the shooter's meeting to do absolutely nothing until the SO gives the command. We had some folks jumping the gun on unloading, showing clear, dropping the hammer...sorry "pull the trigger:)" that needed some guidance. But, we had an advanced shooter do the same thing. I hear one plans to shoot a major soon- they will fix that for him real quick like;)

I think there would be a lot to be said for a 'canned' new shooters orientation, maybe someday. Have had good luck with asking folks (all skill levels) to repeat the unload and show clear if it happened quickly without prompting, seems like they are quick to figure out you are going to be a pain in the arse about it. I wish you could take time off a score for the folks who take their time and keep the muzzle pointed down or at least level.
    The major match s.o. thing was eye opening, having the whole squad wandering about with weapons loaded takes some getting used to.

rhinoroach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Evansville
    A whole nuther level of pain is bringing one of your maximum suck days to a major match :crying:. I know this :)

I think there would be a lot to be said for a 'canned' new shooters orientation, maybe someday. Have had good luck with asking folks (all skill levels) to repeat the unload and show clear if it happened quickly without prompting, seems like they are quick to figure out you are going to be a pain in the arse about it. I wish you could take time off a score for the folks who take their time and keep the muzzle pointed down or at least level.
    The major match s.o. thing was eye opening, having the whole squad wandering about with weapons loaded takes some getting used to.

I think there were 3 time I made a shooter "slide back and show me clear" a second time. I also had a shooter at the "holster a safe weapon" command then jam a magazine back into the weapon, I made him show clear again.

It should be emphasized at the new shooter orientation to WAIT for the S.O. commands.

WSSC has started an outline for the "New Shooter Orientation". It's far from being a "canned" orientation but it's a start.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Could someone email match results to me? I had email on score sheet, but I haven't received yet. I can PM home email address.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    WSSC has started an outline for the "New Shooter Orientation". It's far from being a "canned" orientation but it's a start.

This is good! I've shot at one club that goes by the book in new shooter orientation. They even have new shooters actually shoot a few rounds moving and so forth. It's good stuff.

Interesting but it doesn't matter who you are or how many years you've shot IDPA, if it's your first time at the club, you go through the meeting. Seems to help.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Email for the July 13th match at WSSC. Looks like it's going to be a fun one!

Hello Shooters,
    West Side Sportsman's Club will be holding our monthly IDPA Match on Saturday, July 13th. Sign up starts at 10AM, new shooter orientation at 10:30AM, shooting starts at 11:00AM.

The Course of Fire will be some of my favorite movie scenes that involve pistols. There will have 8 small stages with a minimum round count 42. This is a great match to introduce new shooters to IDPA. There are no reloads required for semi-autos, one stage will require a reload for revolvers. The cost will be $10.00 per weapon. Feel free to go to the IDPA website for the rules.http://www.idpa.com/.

A lunch will be available for $5.00. The lunch will be ready about 1:00pm. Shooters can eat at their leisure.

WSSC members that would like to help setup be there at 8am. This is an easy way to get your work hours.

Please be aware there is a 5 MPH speed limit on the clubs property.

We are also announcing that we will be hosting an IDPA Classifier August 10th. This will be a reserved time event. We will start shooting at 8AM with 4 squads of 4 shooters each, 10AM will have another 16 shooters an so on. We will start taking reservation at the July 13th match. I will start taking e-mail reservations on July 14th.

I hope to see everyone on Saturday.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm ready for it! It is fun shooting steel but I'm ready to get back to some paper stuff. Having the steel last Saturday was a rude 'welcome back' after an extended hiatus from shooting!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "I cannot stress this enough-If you sign up for a squad and I have entered you into our Kindles for the Practiscore, DO NOT JUMP TO ANOTHER SQUAD.

You have to deleted from one squad, entered into another and doing that minutes before a match starts is not what I need to be doing, when I'm trying to get the Kindles to the proper squads, showing shooters on that squad how it works or answering any questions about Practiscore."

Given the choice, it is always good to be the omega test site
    :).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    "I cannot stress this enough-If you sign up for a squad and I have entered you into our Kindles for the Practiscore, DO NOT JUMP TO ANOTHER SQUAD.

You have to deleted from one squad, entered into another and doing that minutes before a match starts is not what I need to be doing, when I'm trying to get the Kindles to the proper squads, showing shooters on that squad how it works or answering any questions about Practiscore."

Given the choice, it is always good to be the omega test site
    :).

:scratch: I don't know what all of this means but it sounds serious. For sure I'll be keeping my kindle on the squad I sign on to from now on!:laugh:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So are we shooting anything out of the ordinary this Saturday? Low round count so now would be the perfect time to break out the non-standard arms. I'm thinking of maybe a compact 9mm or even my compact .45...
    Ok, bring me your G19 and I'll shoot factory 9mm.
    I don't think I can take another spray and pray like last Saturday. :laugh:

That, and I think I might almost have enough for a 42-round event. :shoot:

On a side-note, you going to WSSC or RB anytime before Saturday?

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ok, bring me your G19 and I'll shoot factory 9mm.
    I don't think I can take another spray and pray like last Saturday. :laugh:

That, and I think I might almost have enough for a 42-round event. :shoot:

On a side-note, you going to WSSC or RB anytime before Saturday?

no sadly I have my evenings pretty well planned out this week :D James was picked to play on the All Star team for baseball and he has practice tonight and Thursday. Wednesday the women folk have something going on and then Friday is family night lol. I will bring both the G19 and the G34 and you can have your pick if you want.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So are we shooting anything out of the ordinary this Saturday? Low round count so now would be the perfect time to break out the non-standard arms. I'm thinking of maybe a compact 9mm or even my compact .45...

Comp-tac had a 20% off sale on the 4th so I'm going to try a belt holster if it gets here (my paddle holster has a strange affinity for belly fat and tee shirts), other than that the plan is to keep everything the same until after the Kentuckiana Kolonel is just another permanent emotional scar.

Not sure about the low round count though, technically the last RB match was a 36 round match.

Top Bottom