• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Comp-tac had a 20% off sale on the 4th so I'm going to try a belt holster if it gets here (my paddle holster has a strange affinity for belly fat and tee shirts), other than that the plan is to keep everything the same until after the Kentuckiana Kolonel is just another permanent emotional scar.

Not sure about the low round count though, technically the last RB match was a 36 round match.

I like my Comp-Tac I have for the Glock. I guess I have a thing for holsters that cost over $80 each :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I like my Comp-Tac I have for the Glock. I guess I have a thing for holsters that cost over $80 each :D

I hear you but what I really like is finding something cheap that works well, I seem attracted toward abby normal guns (625, 2011) so there ain't many options.

Steel is wicked evil!

But very educational. I'm guessing the plate racks will get a work out for a while.

Saturday was definitely a good day for 40's and 45's. Pivot points on the evil man center and head plates were on the shooters left and it looks like 9's struggled to drive them open unless it was a near perfect hit to the shooters right of center. We tried angling back that target during set up in order to help reduce required impact but I don't think we went far enough.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Saturday was definitely a good day for 40's and 45's. Pivot points on the evil man center and head plates were on the shooters left and it looks like 9's struggled to drive them open unless it was a near perfect hit to the shooters right of center. We tried angling back that target during set up in order to help reduce required impact but I don't think we went far enough.

Indeed. My 45 handled that target with incredible ease. Bang- steel body hit!, bang heart door opens! bang- ding, bang ding.....I'm done:laugh:

I really enjoyed the look on the guy scoring when a shooter behind me finally hit the face peice. Guy looks around and says to all "but his (me) times was faster even though he didn't hit it!"

I'm such a gamer:):

I'm guessing I saw at least $500 worth of ammo thrown at the headpeice on my squad alone:laugh:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    "I'm guessing I saw at least $500 worth of ammo thrown at the headpeice on my squad alone"

Haha, yes, one guy did the math and said it was a $30 stage for him. And i saw that a few guys on your squad made a pact that they were going to keep going after it until they either hit it or ran dry. I've never seen a target like that before and hope never to again!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm glad I wasn't shooting jacketed and/or factory that day... It would've felt like a total waste. But then again, my shots probably wouldn't have been as bad either. I'm kinda wondering if my crimp (or lack of) was causing all those low shots. Everyone seemed to be calling them out low.

Greg also mentioned my rounds not looking and feeling like there was much crimp going on. Leading seemed decent for the most part, just a light bit on the chamber end, pretty clean down in muzzle-town. I also tried the Recluse 45/45/10 lube recipe and the bullets aren't sticky at all, dry in about 15mins, even though I left under a fan overnight as I wasn't in a hurry.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm kinda wondering if my crimp (or lack of) was causing all those low shots. Everyone seemed to be calling them out low.

Only if you crimp with your fingers and that's what was hosing your trigger control. If a few of those shots had been any lower you would have broken the 180 degree rule. We're going to re-run that stage and call it 'attack of the mole people'. I mean we are talking lllowe.

On the bright side, tomorrow is a different day.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm glad I wasn't shooting jacketed and/or factory that day... It would've felt like a total waste. But then again, my shots probably wouldn't have been as bad either. I'm kinda wondering if my crimp (or lack of) was causing all those low shots. Everyone seemed to be calling them out low.

Greg also mentioned my rounds not looking and feeling like there was much crimp going on. Leading seemed decent for the most part, just a light bit on the chamber end, pretty clean down in muzzle-town. I also tried the Recluse 45/45/10 lube recipe and the bullets aren't sticky at all, dry in about 15mins, even though I left under a fan overnight as I wasn't in a hurry.

That could have been the case. Everything that you were hitting was hitting low so it may have just been the ammo. Need to get out and just group it at about 15 to 20 yards just to get a sense of where it is shooting even with different types of ammo. I've never actually ran 230 grain through my M&P45, just the 200 and it was still low...I think the M&P45 is just an inherently low-shooting gun IMO.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think the M&P45 is just an inherently low-shooting gun IMO.

Your S&W hate knows no ends.:laugh: Lighter bullets will impact lower than heavier bullets. Any weight bullet will impact low when one FLINCHES! I think this is most likely the case Brent. And, here's why it is real easy to flinch on steel. We tend to take more time aiming at steel and that lets the mind come back into play instead of just shooting the course from the sub-conscious. Flinch is an issue for everybody it just tends to be more pronounced on shots that we aim at longer than usual. Having someone load a blank round for you at the next practice session and you'll find out if its a gun/ammo issue or you.

The thing about a downward flinch to control the front sight is that if it happens at or before the gun fires, it's a problem. If it happens after the gun fires its helpful. I saw Dave Seveigny once have a misfire and you could hear "click" then he held down. That's alright. Doing it before the gun fires gets you into the mole games:twocents:

"Inherently low shooting gun":rolleyes:

:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Your S&W hate knows no ends.:laugh: Lighter bullets will impact lower than heavier bullets. Any weight bullet will impact low when one FLINCHES! I think this is most likely the case Brent. And, here's why it is real easy to flinch on steel. We tend to take more time aiming at steel and that lets the mind come back into play instead of just shooting the course from the sub-conscious. Flinch is an issue for everybody it just tends to be more pronounced on shots that we aim at longer than usual. Having someone load a blank round for you at the next practice session and you'll find out if its a gun/ammo issue or you.

The thing about a downward flinch to control the front sight is that if it happens at or before the gun fires, it's a problem. If it happens after the gun fires its helpful. I saw Dave Seveigny once have a misfire and you could hear "click" then he held down. That's alright. Doing it before the gun fires gets you into the mole games:twocents:

"Inherently low shooting gun":rolleyes:

All I know is, when I first put rounds through the M&P45, I thought I had made a huge mistake in getting it. It shot so much lower than any other pistol I had ever owned or shot, including the M&P9 I have, that I thought something was bent or broken in the gun. Once you get use to the hold-over you have to do then everything was fine but going from 9mm and .45 in a LOT of different makes and models it wasn't just me that shot it low.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Flinch is an issue for everybody it just tends to be more pronounced on shots that we aim at longer than usual. Having someone load a blank round for you at the next practice session and you'll find out if its a gun/ammo issue or you.

Right or wrong I'm thinking there is a timing issue as well. You get geared to pushing back for recoil a bit after the trigger press starts, when something causes you to slow down (distant target, steels, a couple recent misses, phase of the moon) then the push back happens too soon and happens as a flinch instead of a reaction. Disclaimer , this may be baloney.

A fairly tight pattern & low shots would make you more likely to think of something gun/ammo related. It looked more like Kisada was just having one of those days we all have and hate though, consistently low but erratic enough to seem more shooter than gun related.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    All I know is, when I first put rounds through the M&P45, I thought I had made a huge mistake in getting it. It shot so much lower than any other pistol I had ever owned or shot, including the M&P9 I have, that I thought something was bent or broken in the gun. Once you get use to the hold-over you have to do then everything was fine but going from 9mm and .45 in a LOT of different makes and models it wasn't just me that shot it low.

Did you ever rest or bag it to check accuracy?

I've put about 5 rounds through my M&P45 and all was well. If I get some time I'll rest it and see what's up.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Well, looks like mine is in the low shooting category. Distance was 12 yards. This is Mike's old gun so I should have known! :laugh: I put a FO on my FDE and fired a 3 round group which you see on the left. Adjusted and fired a 3 round group seen on the right. Point of aim was center of the white cardboard. Load is the same load I run out of my 625. It shot exactly .440 low. I can live with that but need a bit more horizontal adjustment. There's probably a lower rear sight I could get for it but I don't think it would be worth it.

Is this what you gents are calling low?

I've shot 12 rounds through this gun since I got it from Mike. Muzzle flip seems really pronounced to me, but that may be because I'm not accustomed to 45 bottom feeders and 5" guns. Could probably tame it some and still meet the power floor with a bit reduced load.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    No, half an inch I would call low. 6 or more inches at 10 yards is low and that is exactly what it was doing. With the stock 3dot sights it was incredibly low compared to every other pistol I had ever shot, even the 9mm M&P. it is like you needed to shave off 1/8" off the front factory sight. It would shoot great groups but they would all be far below the point of aim.

How tall is your new FO front compared to the factory front?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well, looks like mine is in the low shooting category. Distance was 12 yards.

Is this what you gents are calling low?

Ack, other people are shooting today and I'm digging trenches. Do you know if that gun shoots higher or lower when you move the target back to 20 yards? Don't know the distance from sight to muzzle and I'm too lazy to do the math anyway.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No, half an inch I would call low. 6 or more inches at 10 yards is low and that is exactly what it was doing. With the stock 3dot sights it was incredibly low compared to every other pistol I had ever shot, even the 9mm M&P. it is like you needed to shave off 1/8" off the front factory sight. It would shoot great groups but they would all be far below the point of aim.

How tall is your new FO front compared to the factory front?

I don't know off hand but I'll take it off and measure it against factory tomorrow.

6 or more INCHES at 10 yards:n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b: Something is seriously wrong-NO modern handgun should do that, especially a Smith. I can't imagine what would happen at 20 or further:n00b::n00b::n00b:

Ack, other people are shooting today and I'm digging trenches. Do you know if that gun shoots higher or lower when you move the target back to 20 yards? Don't know the distance from sight to muzzle and I'm too lazy to do the math anyway.

I do not know Jeff, but I'll check that out tomorrow as well. My unedumicated guess is that it will land right on the money at 20 yards.

Speaking of tomorrow, Bosshoss contacted me and said my new 625jm is finished. Might have to give her a run at WSSC this Saturday:rockwoot:I'll also need to do some accuracy checking on because Paul said the forcing cone was cut REALLY deep. Hope it's not an issue, we'll see.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I don't know off hand but I'll take it off and measure it against factory tomorrow.

Speaking of sights. I had to replace a Dawson precision front sight a few weeks ago (a curse on mim casting), it would not budge with a reasonable impact and I'm squeamish about going for the big hammer. Called Dawson and they said to bring the barrel to about 150 degrees F (effects the type of loctite they use). Stuck the barrel sight end into some boiling water for a wee bit, either by coincidence or design the sight came off when I banged on it again. For what it is worth.

Top Bottom