• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Anybody have a book or internet document of dry fire drills that they recommend?

Would like to pursue a lower level of stinky.

TJ posted a list of his stuff that he does. I've just put on the holster and mag carriers and worked a lot of draws and using snap caps, did a lot of mag changes from slide lock to get my slide release method down pat. I simply cannot master that magazine bump that releases the slide as you seat the mag.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Anybody have a book or internet document of dry fire drills that they recommend?

Would like to pursue a lower level of stinky.

Here is a excellant book, actually if you go to his store at the link he has two books. Steve is a GM USPSA shooter from Ohio that shoots with us at Silver Creek a few times a year. The book (1st one)is mostly about gun handling and drills that apply to any discipline. Second book gets into the mental game some, and more advanced drills.

Refinement and Repetition | Anderson Shooting

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Here is a excellant book, actually if you go to his store at the link he has two books. Steve is a GM USPSA shooter from Ohio that shoots with us at Silver Creek a few times a year. The book (1st one)is mostly about gun handling and drills that apply to any discipline. Second book gets into the mental game some, and more advanced drills.

Refinement and Repetition | Anderson Shooting

On order, thanks!

Jeff- I started a thread a while back on this very topic. Here's the link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/220256-what_are_your_dryfire_drills.html

Worthwhile even just for the pictures :).
    Wonder woman is the avatar that scowens has been waiting for.

Are you looking for just dry practice drills in general or specifically for the revolver? You've picked up your game in the last few months to say the least.

In general.
    Ideally I'd like to elevate things to the point to where I didn't have to live on pity compliments from the purse guy.

Compare your scores to mine. There I solved that for you.
    You're welcome.:)

Or the Dude what hangs with the purse guy.

Anybody else planning on shooting at Owensboro Saturday??

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    TJ posted a list of his stuff that he does. I've just put on the holster and mag carriers and worked a lot of draws and using snap caps, did a lot of mag changes from slide lock to get my slide release method down pat. I simply cannot master that magazine bump that releases the slide as you seat the mag.

I think it's really going to be vary from gun to gun. I can bump the M&P almost without even thinking about it, but the CZ takes a lot more effort and still can't get it to consistently release. YMMV :dunno:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think it's really going to be vary from gun to gun. I can bump the M&P almost without even thinking about it, but the CZ takes a lot more effort and still can't get it to consistently release. YMMV :dunno:

Had a Glock 34 that would do it consistently, then I took it all apart & cleaned it, then it would not do it. Sometime later it started doing it consistently again after a cleaning.

Right now ever gun I've got has done it at least once some time or another but none will do it on demand.
    Maybe if you want that feature it is a gun smith thing? A little bend here or there or a bit more oomph in the magazine spring?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

My M&Ps do it almost too easily. I found with the ambidextrous slide release I'd have my trigger finger resting against it during a mag change and it would close just a touch sooner that it should have and close on an empty chamber. Muscle memory more than likely is the issue since curling your finger slightly will remedy that. But, shooting lots of Glocks and 1911s and everything else that doesn't have the ambi lever has just ingrained it in to keep that finger up high and flat.

I'll get deflated from the classifier and start to wonder where to work and then I'll have a match like WSSC and it'll all come together. I guess in the end I just simply do not classify very well and I can't figure out why. I need to have a match where I can have a 'mental malfunction' and try it again. Never have gotten lucky enough for one of those just yet :D

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Ordered a daltech belt. The ares turned me off as I'm going to use the belt for everyday wear and don't want to undo the buckle from the belt to change pants. Now to find a mag holster. I'm going to use my serpa holster next time instead of my thumb break.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ordered a daltech belt. The ares turned me off as I'm going to use the belt for everyday wear and don't want to undo the buckle from the belt to change pants. Now to find a mag holster. I'm going to use my serpa holster next time instead of my thumb break.

that is probably the only downside to the Ares. I've gotten used to it and thankfully don't have to make too many changes during the day. I like the Serpa holsters and used one for a long time with my 1911. I have one that fits both my Glock 21 and my M&P45. I've moved from that to a Raven Phantom since it is a bit easier to CC with the Raven but I like the Serpa of all the active retention holsters out there.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    that is probably the only downside to the Ares. I've gotten used to it and thankfully don't have to make too many changes during the day. I like the Serpa holsters and used one for a long time with my 1911. I have one that fits both my Glock 21 and my M&P45. I've moved from that to a Raven Phantom since it is a bit easier to CC with the Raven but I like the Serpa of all the active retention holsters out there.

I kinda thought that about the cobra buckle at first, but after a few swaps, it's like second nature, only a couple seconds. Unless you are changing belts/pants multiple times a day, best belt I've owned.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

You'll be happy with the Dal-Tech. Even though they stiffen them up, they are very comfortable and look good to boot:yesway: I never got into the web gear stuff- just doesn't look right when running a revolver:D

On a completely unrelated note, Wilmore will be holding their match this Saturday and running the classifier afterwards. It's a haul and you've got to get there early for the new shooters meeting if you've never shot there before. But, it's worth it- without a doubt the best new shooters meeting I've ever seen. Well, really, it's worth seeing how they do things if you've never been there before- really great club. Most of the better shooters in the region shoot there as well.

And then on another completely unrelated note, I'm sending funds in today for the MO State Backstoppers Match. Took a gamble to shoot it Friday evening- hope that works alright. I didn't know much about the Backstoppers deal, but it's a group that helps out the families of firefighters, medics and police that have died in the line of duty. Pretty cool, glad to support it at this match.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You'll be happy with the Dal-Tech. Even though they stiffen them up, they are very comfortable and look good to boot:yesway: I never got into the web gear stuff- just doesn't look right when running a revolver:D

On a completely unrelated note, Wilmore will be holding their match this Saturday and running the classifier afterwards. It's a haul and you've got to get there early for the new shooters meeting if you've never shot there before. But, it's worth it- without a doubt the best new shooters meeting I've ever seen. Well, really, it's worth seeing how they do things if you've never been there before- really great club. Most of the better shooters in the region shoot there as well.

And then on another completely unrelated note, I'm sending funds in today for the MO State Backstoppers Match. Took a gamble to shoot it Friday evening- hope that works alright. I didn't know much about the Backstoppers deal, but it's a group that helps out the families of firefighters, medics and police that have died in the line of duty. Pretty cool, glad to support it at this match.

Sounds awesome! I could do with another match here...WSSC was great and even though it didn't have the results I wanted, the classifier at RB was good. Cabin fever I guess; I'm ready for another match.

Top Bottom