• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Are you talking about the green bullets? If so, just be cautious- Paul ran some 45 and they leaded badly. I think the guy put a Brinell on them of about 10, which is really low, and 45 just doesn't ramp enough pressure to spread that kind of softness out. 40 does though, so you should be alright, just keep a watch.

An update on this TJ.
    I have been checking these bullets out and talking with Jerry (who make them) and I did have problems with leading in the gun I have been building I shot some of my usual bullets in it and also got some leading but not near as bad. I have a forcing cone issue that I will address and retest. I'm going to shoot some out of my main gun that never has leaded before and see how that works out.
    I spoke with Jerry at the match Sat. and he said he made a error in the process of putting the coating on the first batch.(the one I used).
    So it may have been a combo of my gun and his first batch error.
    This is the same coating that Bayou bullets uses and it gets good reviews from other shooters.
    I'm still testing these bullets so I hope they work out as their are many benefits to the coated bullets.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    An update on this TJ.
    I have been checking these bullets out and talking with Jerry (who make them) and I did have problems with leading in the gun I have been building I shot some of my usual bullets in it and also got some leading but not near as bad. I have a forcing cone issue that I will address and retest. I'm going to shoot some out of my main gun that never has leaded before and see how that works out.
    I spoke with Jerry at the match Sat. and he said he made a error in the process of putting the coating on the first batch.(the one I used).
    So it may have been a combo of my gun and his first batch error.
    This is the same coating that Bayou bullets uses and it gets good reviews from other shooters.
    I'm still testing these bullets so I hope they work out as their are many benefits to the coated bullets.

Good deal Paul. Keep us updated. I've thought about ordering some coating material and trying it out, but, as usual, I'm just too cheap to get away from Alox.

LOL- speaking of cheap, you'll like this. I was getting some light strikes with the PC, but they would fire off on the second try. So, I figured it was just a few that weren't seated far enough. Took a look at my brass- which I don't clean or tumble in any way, shape or form- don't even own a tumbler- and there was so much crude in the primer pockets some primers couldn't seat very far:rolleyes: So, my pocket reamer has been getting a good workout:laugh:

I'll put a tumbler on the list- right after a press:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Bayou is what I shoot in 40 & 45 (on 115 grain 9's I splurge for plated) haven't shot 10's of thousands but have shot a thousand or two or three with no known issues.

The coating on what I bought Saturday looks a little lighter colored than the coating on the Bayou's.

Appreciate the heads up on this stuff.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    How do you like the daltech?

The 5 mins I have had it on I feel that I'm going to love it.

Btw I have approx 1000 40 Winchester stamped once fired brass I'd like to sell. Also have a set of lee dies and a .401 mould two cavity. Some factory 40 as well.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just read on Facebook that the new IDPA website will be up and running tomorrow- no more big blue screen! They previewed it at nats and it was cool, so be sure to check it out- you're going to like it. Rangelog is putting some stuff on there to help you keep track of practice sessions, matches, etc plus it will kind of become a facebook for the IDPA world.

Of interest to the poombas at RB and WSSC, the site will have all the apps, gidgets, gadgets and whatever else goes into making a website from IDPA. Free- which is good.

This also means the rulebook is really close to coming out.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Come on Jeff, have a little hope. Even if it comes out in December that's a lot closer than it's ever been:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not too concerned with when the book comes out. I'm more concerned with what's going to happen after it comes out:n00b: Hopefully it won't get ugly. All I know is that Joyce kept saying at nationals "we're not out to be IPSC lite, we want to get back to our roots." I have no idea what that means.

And speaking of nats and the new book, man I hope it either comes out a long time before outdoor nats or after it. That could get ugly indeed.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    See Jeff- just gotta have hope:D

To: All IDPA Members
    Date: March 19, 2013

Last month, the 16th annual Smith & Wesson IDPA Indoor Nationals was held in Springfield, MA. We would like to thank Smith & Wesson for their exemplary and continued sponsorship of our sport, especially during this time of challenge to ...our Second Amendment rights.

On Saturday evening of the event I addressed the shooters at the banquet, and would like to share the information with our members who were not there. There are many exciting events happening in our sport and here are the highlights.

Tiger Teams:
    Many of you have asked about the updated rulebook. I am happy to tell you that I have in my possession a copy of the new IDPA rulebook. Although we still have one Tiger Team working, the SO Education team who is finishing the SO curriculum, we are ready to move forward. The next four steps include:
    1. A continuity review which is scheduled for the 3rd week of March. That review, which will include myself, Robert, Terry, Kitty, and other team members, will see us reviewing our document and confirm we have covered every area we want to address.
    2. The second step is presenting the new rulebook to the IDPA Board of Directors (BoD).
    3. The third step, after BoD changes and approval, is to post the document on the IDPA website for member input.
    4. Finally, the fourth step, after assimilating member feedback, is to post the final rulebook, along with a future date that the new rulebook will be in effect. This timeframe between posting of the final rulebook and the effective date will allow members to read it and make themselves familiar with it. We will also use this time to recertify all current SOs and select Safety Officer Instructors for each state. Additionally, our Tigers have selected and are implementing the on-line software that will be used for recertifying current Safety Officers. There will be no charge to our members for this recertification.
    As we have mentioned previously, we have always been driven by the need to do the best possible job with the new rulebook, rather than drive to a specific date. We will continue to follow that methodology until such time that we can provide finite dates for each milestone individually.
    I am most excited about our continued work on our new website with RangeLog. Events are the lifeblood of any sport - RangeLog’s new Member Services will offer the ability for IDPA clubs to build single day, multi-day and recurring matches and display the events on the club’s detail page, as well as the IDPA’s match calendar.

IDPA competitors will be able to build their personal shooter biography, display or keep private, and allow members to view and bookmark other members from public score cards and leader boards. The new website will also provide IDPA competitors with a central site to view scores from matches and compare best scores/times for each stage they have completed. Coming soon, IDPA clubs can post registration fees and collect fees online, with access to online self-squadding tools and match management.

Smith and Wesson will be hosting the first-even Backup Gun (BUG) Nationals in November of this year. Shooters will be alerted later this year of specifics for this match. Watch for more information about all of these initiatives in the Tactical Journal and on the IDPA website and blog.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    At least they are not making the s.o.'s pay for continuing to support them for free:):.

I know what you're saying, but it really is cool of them. RB is unique in the IDPA world in both how SOs are appointed as well as having an SOI in the club. Many clubs have to travel or actually have SOIs fly in to do SO training, and that costs. There was a cash cow:spend:to be made off this new rulebook and IDPA played an integrity move by offering recerts free and online.:twocents:

What will be interesting is how they handle recerts of existing SOIs. Things are about to tighten up, and this is a good thing.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm torn on renewing myself as an SO. I want to help but I want to get better as a shooter and I don't really want a part-time job on the weekends if you know what I mean. It is the 90-10 rule where 90% of the work is done by the 10% but the way we managed through the classifier at RB and then the WSSC it was great to have so many SOs at the ready.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm torn on renewing myself as an SO. I want to help but I want to get better as a shooter and I don't really want a part-time job on the weekends if you know what I mean. It is the 90-10 rule where 90% of the work is done by the 10% but the way we managed through the classifier at RB and then the WSSC it was great to have so many SOs at the ready.

And that's the thing, Mike, there's a ton of SOs at RB and a ton more guys that can do the job well, even if they aren't certified. I think folks should be part of these competitions for what they want out of them. If you think SOing hurts your shooting and you want to improve as a shooter, then drop it. There's a bunch of guys who enjoy running timers as much as shooting- let them have it.

Plus and I don't mean this badly, but it's pretty easy to certify at RB if you ever wanted to get back into it. I mean, it's an evening. Also, remember that at the club level you don't have to be a certified SO to help out. :twocents:

I support you either way- and that's saying something seeing as your all Glock now:laugh: Have you got that 40 yet:):

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You know, we really need more quality pasters anyway. I've always had my goal of making Paster/MA within 5 years. I'm not there yet. Join me and we should push one another to achieve in this area:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    There's a bunch of guys who enjoy running timers as much as shooting- let them have it.

Are you sure about that?
    I can think of two folks I know that fit that description, but for a good match at RB for example you'd really like to have 8 s.o./scorekeepers for the 4 squads and it is better with 12. My experience is that most folks are like Mike, they do it because somebody needs to. Not saying it is a big burden but it is more fun when you are just shooting & bs'ing.

At ORPCI Sat I think we ended up running a squad short because we were short on s.o.'s, they might have found somebody last minute though so I'm not certain.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Are you sure about that?

No, not really. I could be wrong, you know the SOs better than I do. It's just the impression I've got from some several.

On the other hand, there are a few I've seen that appear absolutely miserable when running squads. Again, just impressions.

It's interesting how appearances come off. Mike is actually one of the SOs that appear to me to really like SOing:dunno:

In any event, I'm convinced we need more excellent pasters than SOs. I'm just going to give a standing invitation for anyone to join me in the race to master class paster.
    :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    In any event, I'm convinced we need more excellent pasters than SOs. I'm just going to give a standing invitation for anyone to join me in the race to master class paster.
    :D

It is indeed a noble calling!
    Sort of like being a good lineman, no camera time unless you make an error but nothing moves forward without you.
    I vote for an annual John Madden turkey leg award or something equivalent. Maybe a rotating bronze turkey leg trophy inscribed each year.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You know, we really need more quality pasters anyway. I've always had my goal of making Paster/MA within 5 years. I'm not there yet. Join me and we should push one another to achieve in this area:D

I will say that the last few squads I've been a part of, with just a few minor exceptions, have had some quality pasting happening during the match.

Top Bottom