• ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So you found there's more to it than counting to six:laugh:

Keep hoping to find that it is one of those epiphany things. Dry fire good - slow fire good - reasonably rapid fire bad.

Mt Vernon outfitters had some primers. Small pistol magnum that he didnt even have the prices jacked up. ~32$/1000.

I accidentally loaded a bunch of 9mm's with some last month and they shoot like regular. I shot the last three matches with them.

Good to know!!
    Probably won't make the drive but if you & His Expertness are finding primers then maybe I can fret about something else.

Speaking of reloading:
    Have used winchester and cci and federal pistol primers with no issues (I can't tell the difference when shooting and they all go bang), I'm assuming that magtec would be the same??

Want to start reloading 270 & eventually 223. Have dillon 550 and an RCBS single stage press. Any advice on what to buy (dies, case trimmer, etc) to get started in the world of bottlenecks?

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Keep hoping to find that it is one of those epiphany things. Dry fire good - slow fire good - reasonably rapid fire bad.

Good to know!!
    Probably won't make the drive but if you & His Expertness are finding primers then maybe I can fret about something else.

Speaking of reloading:
    Have used winchester and cci and federal pistol primers with no issues (I can't tell the difference when shooting and they all go bang), I'm assuming that magtec would be the same??

Want to start reloading 270 & eventually 223. Have dillon 550 and an RCBS single stage press. Any advice on what to buy (dies, case trimmer, etc) to get started in the world of bottlenecks?

I can't speak for Magtech, but I can tell a difference with certain primers. For instance, Sellior and Bellot primers are a lot harder than Winchester or CCI so seating depth is pretty critical otherwise you get light primer strikes. On top of that, they don't seat as easily as the others. Every 10 rounds of 45 acp or so, I always have 1 primer that takes considerably more force to seat than the others, and it's not the brass. As far as ballistics, I can't comment on that.:dunno:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've never got into loading for rifle. Wolf and Tula always give me a minute in my guns and I couldn't load cheaper than buying steel. If prices keep going up, that's going to change. My buds who do a lot of rifle tell me that it is a pain, mainly with the trimming.

The Magtech primers I've ran have done alright. I've got more lightstrikes with them than Federals, but I don't know if it's gun or primer at fault. I've never got a lightstrike with a Federal but what I knew it was the gun. CCIs have done well in my 629, but that's because the mainspring is set to "hammer of Thor" poundage.

Aside from reloading, I've had a strange thing happen this morning. The sky has this strange, radiating glow in it. I think it might be what is called a "sun" but it's been so long since I've seen it, I'm not for sure. Anyway, if this keeps up I might need to wear shades to the match tomorrow. It's kind of blinding.:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Good to know!!

Speaking of reloading:

You get to feeling froggy let me know. I have some reloading stuff for .223 left that I was thinking about putting on eBay. Set of Hornady dies, the Lee case length trimmer and an odd end or two.

I really wanted to get into reloading for the AR but without an AR not much sense in reloading for them!

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012

Good to know!!

Speaking of reloading:

Red Ghost has persistently had primers but limit you to 1k per type per week. R&J got some in early in the week and is doing something similar.

For your bottleneck trials dillon makes a set of carbide dies for .223 that should never wear out(kind of pricey). They still need the cases lubed but I suspect on clean brass I it isn't as critical that the lubrication be so perfect. I have Lee's now but a set of dillon's on order. the Lee's will probably sell or trade when they come in.

The big thing about 223 is most brass is old military stuff that needs the primer pocket swedged the first time. I have the tool from dillon but RCBS makes one that is a lot cheaper for your single stage.

I have never seen Terry out of rifle primers through this last couple months mad rush.

They make a neat tool for your dillon to trim the case length also but it isnt necessary to do it every time they are loaded. They have a max, trim whe they exceed that.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    On a completely unrelated note, I had a friend of mine at work as me a question about a 1911 and the malfunction he is having. He said he has to pull the trigger twice to get it to fire. He said he thinks it has something to do with the disconnector or possibly the main spring. He said the trigger bar looks good and somehow on the first trigger pull it pushes the disconnector up and then the second pull it will fire. Any thoughts? Replace the spring and disconnector?

I'm no gunsmith but I recommended taking all the .45 ammo out of it...and putting the ammo in a Glock so he knows it'll work properly :laugh::draw::D:laugh::D!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Man I go away to do some good deeds in the world only to return and see all this hate!

Haters Gonna HATE!:laugh:

I have been reloading like a madman tonight. This evening my wife tells me she wants to shoot the match tomorrow. So I say "Great!" She then says she wants to run the M&P. So I say "Great!" Go to the safe to dig out some 9. I say "not so great." I had about 25 rounds. Since I'm still loading on a handpress (yes, hand) and had to switch everything over to small primer and so forth, I'll probably be too sore to lift the gun tomorrow.

To top it off, I look in my moonclip stash and, nope, not enough. When I get off here it's back to switching everything back over and loading some 45:laugh:

Things learned: 1.) I don't know why I remain too cheap to buy a progressive. 2.) Wife looks great with a speed belt and USPSA ready holster and mag holders:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Haters Gonna HATE!:laugh:

I have been reloading like a madman tonight. This evening my wife tells me she wants to shoot the match tomorrow. So I say "Great!" She then says she wants to run the M&P. So I say "Great!" Go to the safe to dig out some 9. I say "not so great." I had about 25 rounds. Since I'm still loading on a handpress (yes, hand) and had to switch everything over to small primer and so forth, I'll probably be too sore to lift the gun tomorrow.

To top it off, I look in my moonclip stash and, nope, not enough. When I get off here it's back to switching everything back over and loading some 45:laugh:

Things learned: 1.) I don't know why I remain too cheap to buy a progressive. 2.) Wife looks great with a speed belt and USPSA ready holster and mag holders:laugh:

About time you finally decided to step up from that hand press! My deciding factor in going from my single-stage to the progressive was when I attended a Combat Focus Shooting course and had to load over 1100 rounds in a very short period of time. That was about 4500 individual pulls of the handle and 1100 primers squeezed in by hand. I was beat by the time class day had arrived!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Speaking of reloading:

This is SBCman type cheap, and it works.

Lee Case Trimmer Cutter Lock Stud

and

Lee Case Length Gage Shellholder 223 Remington

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom