• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Awesome! But this weekend is a special birthday weekend for our middle girl. She is turning 16 so as much as I'd like to take her shooting I think she might have other plans LOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The date for the Indiana State Match has been placed on HQ website- October 5th, Atlanta Conservation Club. This coincides with the KY/TN Regional, which is good, because the IN State Match is kind of tough to get into because they take a small number of shooters. I'm going to try to get in this year- again:D

I don't know if any of you follow the IDPA Forum website or Enos, but a bunch of us wheelgunners are chatting and chirping about some stuff that went down at nationals. Evidently during the equipment check, some revolvers were actually :xmad:BROKE:xmad: from over zealous and unneeded coonfingering by the eq check guy. One shooter even had to have a Smith armorer come over from the factory to get stuff going again:xmad: It all stems from radically bobbed hammers, which have been fine in IDPA for decades, but evidently become a matter of concern at nationals.

I've put in a ruling request on the IDPA forum about the issue, but there really does need to be a standardized set of tests done on all guns to avoid such situations. A freelance style of equipment checks by guys that really don't know what a revolver with a carmonized hammer can and cannot do is not cool.:noway: More to come, I'm sure. I just hope they don't rule on the stupid side and loose a bunch of the few wheelgunners IDPA has.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The date for the Indiana State Match has been placed on HQ website- October 5th, Atlanta Conservation Club. This coincides with the KY/TN Regional, which is good, because the IN State Match is kind of tough to get into because they take a small number of shooters. I'm going to try to get in this year- again:D

I don't know if any of you follow the IDPA Forum website or Enos, but a bunch of us wheelgunners are chatting and chirping about some stuff that went down at nationals. Evidently during the equipment check, some revolvers were actually :xmad:BROKE:xmad: from over zealous and unneeded coonfingering by the eq check guy. One shooter even had to have a Smith armorer come over from the factory to get stuff going again:xmad: It all stems from radically bobbed hammers, which have been fine in IDPA for decades, but evidently become a matter of concern at nationals.

I've put in a ruling request on the IDPA forum about the issue, but there really does need to be a standardized set of tests done on all guns to avoid such situations. A freelance style of equipment checks by guys that really don't know what a revolver with a carmonized hammer can and cannot do is not cool.:noway: More to come, I'm sure. I just hope they don't rule on the stupid side and loose a bunch of the few wheelgunners IDPA has.

Yikes! I never gave much thought about the equipment check. What is it about the bobbed hammers? Do you know if they were doing anything specific to break the gun? That is flat crazy that somebody there is breaking something. I'd say it was a very good thing it happened where it happened or there would be some very upset shooters; nice to have an armorer on site to fix something.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yikes! I never gave much thought about the equipment check. What is it about the bobbed hammers? Do you know if they were doing anything specific to break the gun? That is flat crazy that somebody there is breaking something. I'd say it was a very good thing it happened where it happened or there would be some very upset shooters; nice to have an armorer on site to fix something.

S&W evidently decided, privately and unknown to the public, that being able to cycle the action of the revolver with the cylinder out is a safety issue. In other words, removing a safety. On radically bobbed hammers, you can do this all the way or at least partially because there's not enough hammer to hit the back of the cylinder bolt slide.

And for IDPA decades no one has cared because no one would check something like that-----until now.

Thankfully, my gun had a full hammer when I shot nats, so I passed with ease. But there's been at least two reported now that the eq check guy snapped something in the gun. It's ridiculous. We need the rulebook to say exactly what checks will be made on every weapon in each division.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    S&W evidently decided, privately and unknown to the public, that being able to cycle the action of the revolver with the cylinder out is a safety issue. In other words, removing a safety. On radically bobbed hammers, you can do this all the way or at least partially because there's not enough hammer to hit the back of the cylinder bolt slide.

And for IDPA decades no one has cared because no one would check something like that-----until now.

Thankfully, my gun had a full hammer when I shot nats, so I passed with ease. But there's been at least two reported now that the eq check guy snapped something in the gun. It's ridiculous. We need the rulebook to say exactly what checks will be made on every weapon in each division.

there is a YouTube channel, PowerFactorShow, and they were talking about some necessary rule changes concerning stuff like that. They didn't mention anything specifically about that but they did touch on just how far can somebody go to check what has and hasn't been done to a gun. he gave the example of having the inside of the slide machined to make it lighter and the only way to know would be for the equipment guy to disassemble each and every semi and check tolerances or weight. How much liability would there be to have a guy disassemble a firearm and then either make the shooter put it back together or the EQ guy do it? Could you imagine if somebody did take them apart and put them back together improperly? or in that case, damage the revolver past the point of being able to operate....wow! I'm just wondering why they consider that an issue of being able to cycle the action with the cylinder out/removed?

What do the other shooting sports do about equipment checks? Surely they could do it where the top 3 finishers have to submit their stuff for post-match inspection much the way racing teams have to submit their winning cars.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm just wondering why they consider that an issue of being able to cycle the action with the cylinder out/removed?

What do the other shooting sports do about equipment checks? Surely they could do it where the top 3 finishers have to submit their stuff for post-match inspection much the way racing teams have to submit their winning cars.

As the IDPA rumor mill has it, it was done at nationals because the check guy looked up some stuff on the web that someone said S&W called safeties and decided to try it out.

The cylinder out deal was primarily because in days of old some folks thought it cool to cock the hammer back to single action, flip the cylinder out, slam the cylinder back and.....well, you can figure out what happens. It has no bearing on a DAO revolver, just like the hammer block has no bearing on a DAO revolver:rolleyes: Yes, I guess the case could be made that someone could hold the trigger down exposing the firing pin and load up thus striking the pin. In reality, the pin would probably break before anything happened but with lawyers and so forth....

I can't speak for all shooting sports, but in USPSA it is really simple. Some divisions you can't change anything external on the gun. Some divisions you can change whatever you want. Done, end of check, go back to shooting.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As the IDPA rumor mill has it, it was done at nationals because the check guy looked up some stuff on the web that someone said S&W called safeties and decided to try it out.

The cylinder out deal was primarily because in days of old some folks thought it cool to cock the hammer back to single action, flip the cylinder out, slam the cylinder back and.....well, you can figure out what happens. It has no bearing on a DAO revolver, just like the hammer block has no bearing on a DAO revolver:rolleyes: Yes, I guess the case could be made that someone could hold the trigger down exposing the firing pin and load up thus striking the pin. In reality, the pin would probably break before anything happened but with lawyers and so forth....

I can't speak for all shooting sports, but in USPSA it is really simple. Some divisions you can't change anything external on the gun. Some divisions you can change whatever you want. Done, end of check, go back to shooting.

Hopefully they will get everything ironed out. It does sound like a mess but if people are looking into the grey areas then it usually means more people are paying attention to the sport. The biggest worry is they go too far in one direction and make it more confusing instead of keeping it simple. Without creating an extra set of divisions they are going to streamline and simplify the allowable modifications or go the opposite way and ban several outright.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    For all you revolver shooters out there, I was watching one of my favorite YouTube channels and they posed a question. Question was 'Can a revolver shooter performing a tactical reload/reload with retention stow their partial moon clip in their holster? I agree with their answer and their reasoning for their answer. What are the local rounds-round shooter's thoughts? Or anyone for that matter and why?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    For all you revolver shooters out there, I was watching one of my favorite YouTube channels and they posed a question. Question was 'Can a revolver shooter performing a tactical reload/reload with retention stow their partial moon clip in their holster? I agree with their answer and their reasoning for their answer. What are the local rounds-round shooter's thoughts? Or anyone for that matter and why?

I prefer for only my gun to go in my holster:D

It can be done.

It should never be done.

That is all:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I prefer for only my gun to go in my holster:D

It can be done.

It should never be done.

That is all:D

I couldn't imagine doing it. It i guess it had popped up at a match and someone was questioning the legality of it. I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion and it kind of came out of nowhere in the video.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I couldn't imagine doing it. It i guess it had popped up at a match and someone was questioning the legality of it. I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion and it kind of came out of nowhere in the video.

Gotta link?

Did you really mean they put in their gun holster or the moonclip holster?

I don't even put my mag back in the mag holster when a run a bottom feeder.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Gotta link?

Did you really mean they put in their gun holster or the moonclip holster?

I don't even put my mag back in the mag holster when a run a bottom feeder.

It was one of the Power Factor Show Youtube videos. Ill see if I can find which one. And it was tactical reload moon clip in their gun holster. Ill check and see if I can grab a link.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ammo stuff and crass materialism.

Got a note from berry's bullets that my order is on the way, has only been on order about 3 weeks so maybe bullets are getting more common. There was a guy at ORPCI Saturday selling coated lead 40's and 45's for fair prices (i.e. $75 per 1000 for 180 grain 40's) bought 500 to see how they fly.

Any of you guys use IMR-4198 for 223's I've got 3 old unopened 1 lb cans for maybe $15 each, just holler.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Are you talking about the green bullets? If so, just be cautious- Paul ran some 45 and they leaded badly. I think the guy put a Brinell on them of about 10, which is really low, and 45 just doesn't ramp enough pressure to spread that kind of softness out. 40 does though, so you should be alright, just keep a watch.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good the hear Berry's is getting closer to catching up. I've OK for a bit but I'm going to need to do some ordering if I'm going to catch both the July and Oct matches as CDP.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Got my daltech belt last night! Now waiting on mag holster. Bought a new bag too. I was going to pick up the midwayusa range bag but I didn't want to pay 20 for shipping.

Top Bottom