• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I do agree with you guys on this, IDPA rules and stage design does set the bar equally for all participants, for the most part.

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Half of my brain says being able to shoot accurately from (proper) cover is a handy skill to add to the toolkit, yet the other half says "You are not John McClane, this crap doesn't happen in real life unless maybe you're a member of a swat team, Nazis are advancing on your position, etc." :laugh:

you figure you'll either stand in the open like a gob or run like hell and only stick the gun out from behind cover (Dynamic Pie Tactical Application of Blind Fire is a great instructional video for that latter :D)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I do agree with you guys on this, IDPA rules and stage design does set the bar equally for all participants, for the most part.

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Half of my brain says being able to shoot accurately from (proper) cover is a handy skill to add to the toolkit, yet the other half says "You are not John McClane, this crap doesn't happen in real life unless maybe you're a member of a swat team, Nazis are advancing on your position, etc." :laugh:

LOL, agreed! IDPA puts the shooter into far-fetched "possible" not close to "probable" defensive scenarios.......that would occur on the absolute worst day of your life!

Probably a reason why I hate car/truck stages. If I'm in my truck you better believe I'm outta there and anyone in my way will get a tactical f150 bumper in the rear! LOL

To me idpa really emphasizes how well you shoot from cover and USPS tells you if you can shoot on the move , seems like most of the other skills are generic
    Stage breakdown is definitely a thing, but when you squad with the master class shooter two it seems like it is not a giant thing

I agree and see where you're coming from. Probably not too much of an issue at all for guys that will have at most 3 reloads in a stage. But, coming from a revolver perspective, it was huge, especially when everyone was shooting 6 shooters- mainly getting to a place to reload on the move- which is the goal of all, but a kind of axiom for revo.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The ability to game your way through a stage in a more efficient manner than the next guy seems to be a bigger way to separate yourself from the competition than the actual shooting does!

Change the word GAME to MOVE and you have figured the out the secret to USPSA:)

I agree- USPSA stage breakdown is absolutely a larger factor in USPSA than the actual shooting between shooters of equal skill. Never will forget one time at Owensboro I ran a stage that I think had all alphas except for two charlies. I felt real good about the shooting and the time. Paul comes up and saw something I- nor anyone else on the squad for that matter- didn't see. He shot the same as I did accuracy wise but came out about 8 seconds faster.:laugh:

Sometimes a shooter sees something that others miss and it can make a huge difference but those are rare occasions. It happened more when revolver was a 6 shot game:rolleyes:. With good stage design it comes to NOT how you breakdown a stage but how efficient you move through the stage. I shoot with several friends at the majors I shoot and we all are pretty close ability wise and we rarely ever shoot a stage the same way as the others, and yet are times are usually very close.
    I have arthritis in some of my fingers and yes my trigger finger is one of those. I don't have the fastest splits by far but that is NOT a place to go fast unless you have the ability to split that fast AND GET "A" HITS on target. You have to find the NON SHOOTING areas to make up time. Things like transitions and moving into and out of shooting positions and reloading where it affects your time the least.
    Accuracy is also a HUGE part of how efficiently you move through a stage. If you miss a piece of steel a couple of times it just cost you any time you might have saved on that stage up to that point. Several misses on a star(Brent
    :):) will wreck a stage.

Seems like it's just an experience thing to learn to look for the best ways. Paul, Gary and some of those guys have been shooting USPSA longer than I've been alive. Everybody in every division has to make a plan but being in the game a while seems to instill the sense of "this is the way." I think Gary sometimes offers a class towards the beginning of the season where he goes into stage breakdown. Might be worth attending if a guy wanted to get serious about USPSA.

TJ I had a discussion with Jeff about this a couple of months ago. I haven't heard any thing from him on it. Might check with him for a update.

The "everybody will do this the same way" approach is actually one of the things I like about IDPA.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Good points as always Paul. Didn't know you had arthritis, guess that's just part of "maturing".

You told me something once a few years ago that has stuck with me regarding split times. If you add up the time it takes to make a really fast split compared to a more controlled split, it usually won't make any more than a seconds difference on the stage. There's LOTS of places you can pick up that second, namely movement or not missing steel, etc.

As the old saying goes "shoot as fast as you can accurately". Occasionally I practice that motto myself LOL

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Half of my brain says being able to shoot accurately from (proper) cover is a handy skill to add to the toolkit, yet the other half says "You are not John McClane, this crap doesn't happen in real life unless maybe you're a member of a swat team, Nazis are advancing on your position, etc." :laugh:

WHAT? Oh man, I've based all of my training on those movies. Guess I'll have to now cancel my JM Shooting Skills class I had just scheduled with Bruce. It was to be held on the 50th floor of a sky scrapper.

:)

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "Seems like it's just an experience thing to learn to look for the best ways. Paul, Gary and some of those guys have been shooting USPSA longer than I've been alive. Everybody in every division has to make a plan but being in the game a while seems to instill the sense of "this is the way." I think Gary sometimes offers a class towards the beginning of the season where he goes into stage breakdown. Might be worth attending if a guy wanted to get serious about USPSA.

TJ I had a discussion with Jeff about this a couple of months ago. I haven't heard any thing from him on it. Might check with him for a update."

Jeff took the easiest and quickest path (i.e. he squads with people like BossHoss when he can and he found out about an existing course at Riley that he is headed to tomorrow).
    He does things that way sometimes.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Good points as always Paul. Didn't know you had arthritis, guess that's just part of "maturing".

You told me something once a few years ago that has stuck with me regarding split times. If you add up the time it takes to make a really fast split compared to a more controlled split, it usually won't make any more than a seconds difference on the stage. There's LOTS of places you can pick up that second, namely movement or not missing steel, etc.

As the old saying goes "shoot as fast as you can accurately". Occasionally I practice that motto myself LOL

Yeah I don't use arthritis as an excuse. It comes from 30 years of running a die grinder at work. Running the chainsaw 3 days this week doesn't help the hands any. I don't notice it when the timer goes off but it does affect my dryfire. I have a bad knee that I hurt at work also. It can bother me more than my hands.
    Getting old isn't for wussies:):.

As for splits you are right. Say someone can split at .25 and get 2 A's on every target. Now if they speed up to .20 splits, on a 32 round all paper field course that would be 16 splits or .8 seconds faster on the stage. To show the difference say the Hit Factor for the stage ends up being 5. That means you scored 5 points per second. SO if you speed up to .20 splits and shoot the stage .8 faster and drop 5 C hits(if shooting Major)which is 5 points, instead of shooting all A's at .25 splits you will have a worse score.
    The difference between .20 and .25 splits is HUGE as far as seeing the sights and where they are on target.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ranier Classic match today.
    I didn't go (old people tire easily).
    Brad got 1st loser overall & a masters class 1st in esp.
    Don O entered as ssp sharpshooter & beat all the sharpshooters & experts & 1 master. So he got first & a bump to expert and a lot of snide comments & dirty looks :).
    Ty O got 5th in marksman.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Don O entered as ssp sharpshooter & beat all the sharpshooters & experts & 1 master. So he got first & a bump to expert and a lot of snide comments & dirty looks :).

we all knew that sandbagging would catch up to him eventually! LOLOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I wondered why your name wasn't on the scores. Seems you wasn't the only one, there was supposed to be 3 in ESR and turned out only my buddy Stanley shot it.

Looks like Brad shot a very good, clean match, with two stage wins. I'd hazard to say he very likely shot to the best of his ability. I hope he learned something here about division changes (he was in SSP).

Don's "win" was flat out sandbagging. His new license plate should read "sndbggr":laugh:

Congrats to Ty, pretty good finish for the young man.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I had my son be the stand-in for a few of the stages LOL I think Jay has some video as well. It was a ton of fun and the BUG match after was one of the biggest! I think I enjoy BUG more than any of the other types/styles of side-match. I love my carbine and shotgun but so many ranges make it hard to practice with one or the other so my pistols get the most workout.

Top Bottom