• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Good article Between The Berms: The 7 People You Don't Want On Your Squad | Shooting Wire

Gotta say that for the vast majority of squads I've been on I can't remember running into a lot of these types of folks- maybe that means I am one or a couple of those 7 people:laugh: Most of the folks I seem to squad with fall into the "make it a fun day" category or they just don't converse with me at all, and that's OK too.

As best I can remember I've really only shot with a lawyer and a complainer. The lawyer got so mad at the absence of a call on another shooter that he just left the match right then and there. It was kind of bizarre. Then I've shot with one whiner, who mainly whined at the calls I gave him, which I found somewhat amusing.

I think they should have added "The Brass Rat" as #8.

Kind of a harsh article, maybe hits too close to home for comfort! I'm a gamer but hopefully not to the extreme that this guy laments.

Adding to TJ's list I suggest #9 - "The Ivory Tower" - been doing this too long & has forgotten how to have fun or to enjoy the people & camaraderie. Destined to become a journalist, sitting in their ivory tower writing articles on the shortcomings of 1% of the community

rant over. Jacked up on steroids at the moment. That's my excuse & sticking to it.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    I have a couple questions that I cant seem to get a solid answer on, I have read IDPA rules on equipment, is it legal to use drop-in triggers and pinky extensions in SSP and BUG.:wavey:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Their BUG rules are pretty vague at best! I don't have the rules in front of me but I don't remember reading any restrictions on things like modifications or anything like that. pinky extensions for the mags are pretty common and in the case of some BUG's...absolutely necessary!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Internal trigger changes, such as a few of the apex kits are fine and will keep you in SSP. Externally visible mods/trigger itself are legal but will move you into ESP, unless it's a factory part.

Pretty much anything that changes the external look of the gun will move you into ESP, outside of sights and stock back straps.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Do the steroids have anything to do with the gamer aspect you mention? :):

Haha! No relationship! Steroids are helping me to get over some health stuff so I can start shooting again. Having some serious IDPA withdrawal.

I'm not obsessed with winning nor do I think "gaming" replaces skill as the article suggests, I just think planning a stage and seeing how it does or doesn't work is a big part of the fun

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Haha! No relationship! Steroids are helping me to get over some health stuff so I can start shooting again. Having some serious IDPA withdrawal.

I'm not obsessed with winning nor do I think "gaming" replaces skill as the article suggests, I just think planning a stage and seeing how it does or doesn't work is a big part of the fun

Of course, 95% of IDPA stages require next to zero planning outside of where to round dump or whether to go left or right first. :rolleyes:

I will say this though, varying speed props + reload points can definitely make for some tricky/challenging stages.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think if I could better plan where my feet should stop at each shooting position , and sort of plan shot speed based on target difficulty , that might help me. Idpa or otherwise. Sometimes I shoot hard shots with hoser pace & Vica versa , other times there is the dreaded reposition stuff happening.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I think if I could better plan where my feet should stop at each shooting position , and sort of plan shot speed based on target difficulty , that might help me. Idpa or otherwise. Sometimes I shoot hard shots with hoser pace & Vica versa , other times there is the dreaded reposition stuff happening.
    I agree 110% here, I need to implement the whole "hose it at 5 yrds and take my time of the 25's" on a consistent basis.

Agreed, but plan to shoot USPSA at Owensboro as much as possible too.

Indeed.
    I actually enjoy doing the USPSA walk-thru/airgun during the first few mins, devising a plan, seeing how other peeps are doing theirs by comparison, etc.

Other note, anyone interested in trying out some 147gr plated from Everglades? The cost isn't too bad for 500, but figured I'd ask and see if anyone wanted to split quantity just to try some out. (heck, I'll split 500 with someone if interested)
    Any takers? $50/500, $89/1k...

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I agree 110% here, I need to implement the whole "hose it at 5 yrds and take my time of the 25's" on a consistent basis.

Indeed.
    I actually enjoy doing the USPSA walk-thru/airgun during the first few mins, devising a plan, seeing how other peeps are doing theirs by comparison, etc.

Other note, anyone interested in trying out some 147gr plated from Everglades? The cost isn't too bad for 500, but figured I'd ask and see if anyone wanted to split quantity just to try some out. (heck, I'll split 500 with someone if interested)
    Any takers? $50/500, $89/1k...

The ability to game your way through a stage in a more efficient manner than the next guy seems to be a bigger way to separate yourself from the competition than the actual shooting does! I do like that style of walk-through..it was interesting to see everybody out there doing their THANG before the match. IDPA seems to lend it's COF design in a very linear manner... A happens then B happens and then C happens so you feel you have to lay out stages that way in keeping with the scenario or theme of the match.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I agree- USPSA stage breakdown is absolutely a larger factor in USPSA than the actual shooting between shooters of equal skill. Never will forget one time at Owensboro I ran a stage that I think had all alphas except for two charlies. I felt real good about the shooting and the time. Paul comes up and saw something I- nor anyone else on the squad for that matter- didn't see. He shot the same as I did accuracy wise but came out about 8 seconds faster.:laugh:

Seems like it's just an experience thing to learn to look for the best ways. Paul, Gary and some of those guys have been shooting USPSA longer than I've been alive. Everybody in every division has to make a plan but being in the game a while seems to instill the sense of "this is the way." I think Gary sometimes offers a class towards the beginning of the season where he goes into stage breakdown. Might be worth attending if a guy wanted to get serious about USPSA.

The "everybody will do this the same way" approach is actually one of the things I like about IDPA.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The "everybody will do this the same way" approach is actually one of the things I like about IDPA.

I think I"m the same way. That way might give a slightly more accurate reflection of your shooting skills and gun-handling ability since there are so few other factors to bring into the equation.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    To me idpa really emphasizes how well you shoot from cover and USPS tells you if you can shoot on the move , seems like most of the other skills are generic
    Stage breakdown is definitely a thing, but when you squad with the master class shooter two it seems like it is not a giant thing

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I think I"m the same way. That way might give a slightly more accurate reflection of your shooting skills and gun-handling ability since there are so few other factors to bring into the equation.
    I do agree with you guys on this, IDPA rules and stage design does set the bar equally for all participants, for the most part.

To me idpa really emphasizes how well you shoot from cover and USPS tells you if you can shoot on the move , seems like most of the other skills are generic
    Stage breakdown is definitely a thing, but when you squad with the master class shooter two it seems like it is not a giant thing

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Half of my brain says being able to shoot accurately from (proper) cover is a handy skill to add to the toolkit, yet the other half says "You are not John McClane, this crap doesn't happen in real life unless maybe you're a member of a swat team, Nazis are advancing on your position, etc." :laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom